Available legitimate Center for Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollinger on Varejoa:ESPN Player Card

"+ Elite defender who can guard 1 through 5 due to length, quickness and strength.

+ High-effort player who takes charges, crashes boards and wins loose balls.

+ Decent ballhandler for size. Good finisher, but poor shooter who lacks post game.

Varejao produced the best season of his career at both ends and was a legitimate candidate for Defensive Player of the Year. One thing that stood out is how much less he flopped -- while Varejao still drew 28 charges, it was barely half the 51 he drew a year earlier. Instead, he flew around the court with even more energy than ever, swallowing up pick-and-rolls and defending the post with similar vigor. The Cavs allowed 5.8 points per 100 possessions less with Varejao on the court, and the visual backed up the numbers -- he was a relentless defensive presence.

Varejao also delivered some offensive value, converting 65.6 percent of his shots in the basket area for the fifth-best mark in the league. The other underrated part of his game is that he's a good ballhandler who had one of the better pure point ratings among big men. His next challenge is to bring the same energy for more extended bursts as a starting center."

Sounds exactly like what we need. im gonna go all out here and say I want either Anderson Varejao or Marc Gasol. those are the only C's i want on this team at this point.
    Last edited by pesterm1; Sun Apr 17, 2011, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• pesterm1 wrote: View Post
      Hollinger on Varejoa:

+ Elite defender who can guard 1 through 5 due to length, quickness and strength.

+ High-effort player who takes charges, crashes boards and wins loose balls.

+ Decent ballhandler for size. Good finisher, but poor shooter who lacks post game.

Varejao produced the best season of his career at both ends and was a legitimate candidate for Defensive Player of the Year. One thing that stood out is how much less he flopped -- while Varejao still drew 28 charges, it was barely half the 51 he drew a year earlier. Instead, he flew around the court with even more energy than ever, swallowing up pick-and-rolls and defending the post with similar vigor. The Cavs allowed 5.8 points per 100 possessions less with Varejao on the court, and the visual backed up the numbers -- he was a relentless defensive presence.

Varejao also delivered some offensive value, converting 65.6 percent of his shots in the basket area for the fifth-best mark in the league. The other underrated part of his game is that he's a good ballhandler who had one of the better pure point ratings among big men. His next challenge is to bring the same energy for more extended bursts as a starting center.

Sounds exactly like what we need. im gonna go all out here and say I I want either Anderson Varejao or Marc Gasol. those are the only C's i want on this team at this point.
      I'm a big Varejao fan, but you do know he barely played 2 months this season before being injured. Or is this about last season?
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• This is the review given by hollinger on ESPN, i pay for the "insider" subscription and this is what hollinger writes about varejao for last season im assuming. Even though he injured his ankle this year i still think he is worth it. he might do extremely well with a change of sceneary too after loosing Lebron. i tihnk he would be a player that would want to come here and i tihnk he fits our exact needs. i think cleveland may bite on a bargnani trade and fillers.

Comment

• ^ put it in quote marks and give source next time...

Stats Cube NBA.com homepage wrote:
          Kobe Bryant averaged 45.6 points against the Grizzlies when Marc Gasol was on the bench.

http://www.nba.com/statscube/player-...01188;season=r

-------------

Better comparison: Pau vs Marc Gasol
          http://www.nba.com/statscube/player-...01188;season=r

-------------

Bargs vs Howard
          http://www.nba.com/statscube/player-...,2730;season=r

With Bargs on the court 70% (14-20) at the rim and with him on the bench 53% (8-15).

Dwight on the floor Bargs 19.5 PTS, Howard on the bench 30 PTS. This tool is great.
          Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sun Apr 17, 2011, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
            ^ put it in quote marks and give source next time.
            I cant give you the source because its on ESPN insider, if your not a subscriber you cannot view the webpage. The above quotes on #134 are the player analysis that Hollinger has on , Anderson Varejao's player card. Id be really happy with Varejao as our starting center next year.
            Last edited by pesterm1; Sun Apr 17, 2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• Do you think BC would be looking into getting Marc Gasol if we get Irving or Williams?

Comment

• Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                From your list, Only thompson and Haywood are realistic choices given the current NBA and Raptor situation. By the way, does Thopmspn Play C ?
                Yes.
                pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                Thompson is listed as a C for the sacremento kings. he is 6'11 and 250 lbs. plus he plays behind dalembert and cousins so i could see him wanting a true starting center role on another team rather then backing up cousins. source for his height and weight and pos. :http://espn.go.com/nba/team/roster/_...cramento-kings

Maybe thompson could even be worked into a trade for bargnani or jose calderon.
                If you look on the Bargnani trade thread that Matt52 created, there are a number of trades both he and I have put together with Bargnani going to SAC and returning Jason Thompson and their pick with variations. I would definitely like it if the Raps went this route.

Comment

• +1 on the sac trade i wouldnt be dissapoointed at all

Comment

• For the record I'm all for overpaying for Marc Gasol. Dude is awesome. Is anyone watching this game right now? He's more than holding his own against Tim Duncan.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• yah couple of bad turnovers though.

Comment

• true, but he's still young.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I think he did a bit more then hold is own, he pretty much led the team to the win

Comment

• bballnut27 wrote: View Post
                            I think he did a bit more then hold is own, he pretty much led the team to the win
                            Not really, as much as I like Marc Gasol, Zbo played just as big if not bigger role in leading the team to the win.

Comment

• Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                              It seems like the days of AB in Toronto are numbered which is good for AB as a player and for Raptor and Raptor fans to finally examine how their defense will improve without AB in the line up.

DD, Amir and the rest of young Gunz and scrubs all had their wish list presented to the Media today and it seems that a Legitimate Center is on top of their list.

Now, the question is NOT who fits that role but who will be available for trade this summer and who we can really get ?

I can not come up with even ONE name that I think will fit the bill, will be available for trades and more importantly is willing to come to Toronto in a struggling team like Raptors. But maybe some of your guys can come up with names so lets hear it.

Free-agent List:

http://es.pn/cMVe8b
                              The 2011 free agents has all the ingredients, NBA teams need - backup centers (Jason Collins), serviceable centers (Erick Dampier, Kurt Thomas, Juwan Howard), starting centers (DeAndre Jordan, Nene Hilario, Joel Pryzbilla, Marc Gasol), some shooters (James Jones, Sasha vujacic) and some tough and intelligent perimeter wing defenders (Tayshaun Prince, Shane Battier) - however, it is clearly not a star free agent class.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                                The only person I'd throw money at in regards to a potential centre is Nene (that is, if he opts out). I'd attempt to trade Bargnani for perhaps long term bench depth and I'd draft Vesely if we got a pick that wasn't the first selection. A starting 5 next season of Nene, Davis, Vesely, DeRozan and Calderon/Bayless would be exciting - and would be a lot of length for oppositions to deal with.
                                From reports, Vesely is another soft basketball player - huge red flag imo .

Comment

Working...
                                X