Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 000 Hours
    replied
    No way Toronto signs Chandler, unless it's part of some wider sign and trade package, with perhaps a 3rd team involved. At least that's my guess.

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    Tank wrote: View Post
    Money talks! Sometimes.
    The thing is, if you throw, say $12 million at Chandler and he accepts, what next? He's not a good enough player to make a huge difference in the win column, or is everyone conveniently forgetting his days in Charlotte and New Orleans? Best case scenario, he gives the Raptors maybe 5-7 more wins. Add those to the maybe 5 wins the Raptors might improve just because of player development and a new coach. That gives the Raptors somewhere in the area of 35 wins. Great. So they've got a 29 year old center with a history of injuries being vastly overpaid, and the rest of the club a good 2 or 3 years away from really hitting their prime, and you probably don't even make the playoffs. Then DeRozan's contract needs to be extended, then Davis', and then whoever they draft next and the Raptors are paying out the nose for a mediocre team. Probably not the best idea.

Leave a comment:

• Stahmenah_Vybz
    replied
    optifan wrote: View Post
    D. Smith's latest blog post: http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Looks like Casey was in for an interview on Tuesday (the man barely had time to celebrate!).

Smith seems to think that Bryco is close to making a decision and it looks likes it could be Casey.
    Apparently EPSN has a link up saying Sources: Dwane Casey Raptors' Favorite. Follow link to read. http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=6671128

Leave a comment:

• Tank
    replied
    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I can see the sales pitch now. Sure, you won a Championship with Dallas, but why not ignore all the other offers you will have, including re-signing with Dallas, to come to the winters in Toronto to join a 22 win team who just grabbed the 5th pick in a weak draft! Oh, and we've got your old assistant coach, so that sure be the clincher!
    Money talks! Sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    Aksent wrote: View Post
    Chandler as a free agent would be a great target, assuming his asking price isnt through the roof.
    I can see the sales pitch now. Sure, you won a Championship with Dallas, but why not ignore all the other offers you will have, including re-signing with Dallas, to come to the winters in Toronto to join a 22 win team who just grabbed the 5th pick in a weak draft! Oh, and we've got your old assistant coach, so that sure be the clincher!

Leave a comment:

• Aksent
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post
    looks like it's a matter of contract detail now. another good reason for hiring Casey is any players let go at Dallas might consider joining him here.
    Chandler as a free agent would be a great target, assuming his asking price isnt through the roof.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    looks like it's a matter of contract detail now. another good reason for hiring Casey is any players let go at Dallas might consider joining him here.

Leave a comment:

• DG88
    replied
    Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Dwane Casey has emerged as the clear favorite to land the Toronto Raptors' coaching job and could be installed as the team's new coach by next week, according to sources close to the situation. The Raptors began the week having narrowed their search for a successor to Jay Triano down to the former Minnesota Timberwolves coach and Boston Celtics assistant coach Lawrence Frank. But Toronto has since zeroed in on Casey after interviews with both men this week, drawn largely to Casey's success as the defensive coordinator for a Mavericks team that just won the first championship in franchise history.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=6671128

Casey is our man

Leave a comment:

• GameBreaker
    replied
    On #Hoops ... @SmithRaps tells me & @Paul__Jones that he thinks Dwane Casey is the man the #Raptors will hire. We concur. But we'll see.
    LINK: http://twitter.com/#!/Eric__Smith

Leave a comment:

• Tim W.
    replied
    Liston wrote: View Post
    Um, defending a young LeBron James with a "big" three of James, Hughes and Gooden is a wee bit less challenging then James, Wade and Bosh. No?

CLE that year had the 18th ranked offence. Heat this year? 3rd ranked offence.

Of course, its also tough to determine if a good assistant would be a good head coach (though he did okay with a poor MIN squad).... but you're alternative is?
    I'm not saying that Casey's accomplishments are moot, but there are some who seem to be giving credit for the Championship to Casey, when that's obviously not true. And even if he was a big factor, it doesn't necessarily mean he'd make a good head coach. Again, I'm not saying he's not a good coach, but I think people are putting far too much weight on one successful playoff run.

As to how to determine whether he'd make a good head coach? I really don't know, but I think probably a lot more research than watching him sit on the bench on television.

Leave a comment:

• youknowit
    replied
    RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    I have to question how much of an affect Frank had on the Boston D. Keep in mind the core was there when Thibodeau was and is a veteran team. I'm pretty sure Frank wasn't implementing new systems to KG, Rondo, Allen, Pierce and the O'Neal's. Boston is a veteran team that knows how to play the right way on both ends of the court.
    Though Boston may be made of a bunch of veterans who knew the system, it takes a good coach to motivate a bunch of veterans to commit and play hard. I think his experience with a championship calibre team and coach can only help the Raptors organization. This alongside his own head coaching experience of almost seven years, he is a pretty good choice.

Leave a comment:

• Nine New Faces
    replied
    Gotta say, I'm a bit surprised at what people are focusing on with this coaching search. Forget whether the coach is defensive-minded or not, can he develop youth? I'd argue that's the single most important requirement the Raps should have for the moment. The thing is, you bring in a coach like Casey with a sophisticated defensive scheme that's built for veterans and the younger guys will probably struggle with it. Plus, he's dealing with Bargnani, who is the anti-Chandler. Then how will Casey react to that frustration? Now Casey might be great with player development, I don't know. I'm just saying that teaching defense is going to be as important as game-planning it.

Leave a comment:

• Liston
    replied
    The other advantage of bringing in Casey is his knowledge of Cuban's analytics investments. Many were shocked DAL played so well despite really only having one "star". Perhaps intangibles, other measures of value, and putting together complementary role players has a part in their success.

Leave a comment:

• RAPresenting
    replied
    youknowit wrote: View Post
    Along that same logic then, why not give Frank credit for keeping Boston as the number one defensive team in the league. You can argue that, had it not been for the Perkins trade, they probably would have at least made the finals.
    I have to question how much of an affect Frank had on the Boston D. Keep in mind the core was there when Thibodeau was and is a veteran team. I'm pretty sure Frank wasn't implementing new systems to KG, Rondo, Allen, Pierce and the O'Neal's. Boston is a veteran team that knows how to play the right way on both ends of the court.

Leave a comment:

• Liston
    replied
    Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Some of you guys are putting way too much weight on Dallas winning the Championship and giving credit to Casey. Carlesimo won a Championship as an assistant with the Spurs and I don't see many rushing to hire him as the Raptors head coach. I'm not saying Casey won't be a good coach, but assuming he will be because he was an assistant coach with Dallas is simply wrong.
    Um, defending a young LeBron James with a "big" three of James, Hughes and Gooden is a wee bit less challenging then James, Wade and Bosh. No?

CLE that year had the 18th ranked offence. Heat this year? 3rd ranked offence.

Of course, its also tough to determine if a good assistant would be a good head coach (though he did okay with a poor MIN squad).... but you're alternative is?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X