2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    And Perry Jones III is nowhere near the talent of Kevin Durant in his one year at Texas either.
    IMO i don't think it really matter how great you are in college. Look at Westbrook, he wasn't that great in UCLA but look at him now an all star PG that can light it up. Adam morrison is another guy who lit it up in college averaging 28PPG at Gonzaga, where is he now? playing overseas cause no one wants to sign him.

Comment

• What i'm saying is that for all we know Miller could end up being a franchise player.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        IMO i don't think it really matter how great you are in college. Look at Westbrook, he wasn't that great in UCLA but look at him now an all star PG that can light it up. Adam morrison is another guy who lit it up in college averaging 28PPG at Gonzaga, where is he now? playing overseas cause no one wants to sign him.
        Those are good points.

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        What i'm saying is that for all we know Miller could end up being a franchise player.
        That could be said about a lot of players.

However this discussion was about being the next Kevin Durant. The statistics and watching Durant play at Texas versus Miller at Baylor make the comparison dubious at best in my opinion. Luckily your opinion is just as valid as mine. FWIW, I'd love Toronto to draft Miller and have him become the next Kevin Durant.

Comment

• I think Thomas Robinson has officially joined the top 5 club.

Go to ESPN.com and watch the highlights of the Baylor/Kansas game from last night. Actually, here is the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=320162305

Kansas beat Baylor to give them the first loss of the season.

Robinson had 27 points on 11-18 shooting (5-6 ft), 14 rebs, 2 ast, 1 blk.
          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Jan 17, 2012, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Anthony Davis stat line vs. Arkansas:

27 points
            10-12 fg
            0-1 3pt
            7-8 ft

14 rebs
            4 o
            10 d

7 blks

36 mins

Nice day at the office.

Comment

• perry jones III is growing on me

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Anthony Davis stat line vs. Arkansas:

27 points
                10-12 fg
                0-1 3pt
                7-8 ft

14 rebs
                4 o
                10 d

7 blks

36 mins

Nice day at the office.
                There's no doubt Davis oozes potential, but he's 110 lbs soaking wet. It'll be years before he's added the bulk required to hold his own in NBA trenches. As a Raptors fan, I don't know if I have the patience for yet another "project".

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  There's no doubt Davis oozes potential, but he's 110 lbs soaking wet. It'll be years before he's added the bulk required to hold his own in NBA trenches. As a Raptors fan, I don't know if I have the patience for yet another "project".
                  I'm sure the same thing was said about Kevin Garnett and Kevin Durant.

If you look at the pictures of him last summer and now he has added size - not much but it is evident.

Same with JV between last year and now.

Davis certainly has a nice frame to work with.

This would be the least of my concerns if I was in a position to draft him.

Keep in mind this is all my opinion. I certainly respect and understand where you are coming from.

Comment

• I kind of agree with Niklana. He's just too raw. I'm not saying he won't end up being the best player from this draft, but can the team really sustain another 3-4 year project? Literally all his points were off alley oops, he has no post game to speak of.

I understand the team needs all the talent it can get at this point but if the franchise doesn't develop a winner in the next couple years who knows what might happen. Guys like MKG or Millar can and will help us win, and we'll be able to get the best out of Bargs while he'd still in his prime.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      I kind of agree with Niklana. He's just too raw. I'm not saying he won't end up being the best player from this draft, but can the team really sustain another 3-4 year project? Literally all his points were off alley oops, he has no post game to speak of.

I understand the team needs all the talent it can get at this point but if the franchise doesn't develop a winner in the next couple years who knows what might happen. Guys like MKG or Millar can and will help us win, and we'll be able to get the best out of Bargs while he'd still in his prime.
                      I'd disagree on Davis.

I've watched about 8-9 Kentucky games this season. At the start of the year, absolutely he was predominantly scoring on oops. However, especially of late, he has really developed his post game as this year has moved along.

Also, he still has all his guard skills from before his growth spurt. For him it is more a matter of adjusting to the 7-8 inch growth spurt he experienced last year. Once he puts it all together, he is going to be a terror.

Just my opinion, of course.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Davis is not a center. He's a PF who could possibly play SF. He's around 220lbs now. I don't think it would be too difficult to gain another 15-20 lbs. If he did, then he'd be bigger than Bosh. Bosh (when he was a Raptor) was considered one of the best PF's in the game. His size never affected him - and Davis (in my opinion) is going to be a much better player than Bosh was/is. Garnett who is probably one of the best PF's to ever play the game (especially in his prime) is no beafcake either.

ceez wrote: View Post
                        I kind of agree with Niklana. He's just too raw. I'm not saying he won't end up being the best player from this draft, but can the team really sustain another 3-4 year project? Literally all his points were off alley oops, he has no post game to speak of.

The concern on offense is valid, but that will eventually turn around for him. What makes Davis a beast is on the defensive end. He's got such a long reach, quickness and the IQ to be a dominant player. I believe it was ESPN's Ford who visioned Davis to be as good a prospect as Griffin/Rose were when they first came into the league.

With regards to him needing 3-4 years.. I don't see it. I think he'll be have an impact as soon as he comes into the league. If that was the concern than it should be for anyone that gets drafted. Just my opinion of course.

Comment

• If we think have have a PF logjam right now that probably needs to be sorted out, what would that look like if we won the draft lottery? Suddenly we have Bargnani, Ed Davis, Amir (although he can be a C too), and A. Davis. This would mean between the lottery and the actual draft we would need to make some deals to balance the roster.

I would be fascinated as to what moves the Raptors make if the win the lottery. Good problem to have though...
                          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Davis right now is looking like the best prospect in the draft. If given the opportunity, I think you have to take him, and then you can put Davis and Bargnani on the block.

Comment

• God imagine he could play SF
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                                God imagine he could play SF
                                I'm not totally sure he can't.

I would lean towards no but he does have the perimeter skills (passing, dribbling). He has great mechanics on his shot and a summer of shooting in the gym might make it more consistent. Again, he has grown 8 inches in a year and this year has been all about learning to play in the post and gaining size to his rail frame.

Again, it is highly unlikely but I wouldn't rule out impossible. The hope would be Kevin Durant. The fear would be Anthony Randolph.

*EDIT*

Todd (Tn)

Last night Anthony Davis most complete performance by any of the top prospects?
                                Chad Ford (1:39 PM)

27 points, 15 rebounds, 7 blocks, 10-for-12 from the field is about as close as you get. I know some fans are concerned about his lack of strength and raw offensive abilities. But on the defensive end, he'll be a monster at the next level. And ... I think this is very important ... he's a good kid, a hard worker and plays with a great motor all the time. Very few big men have all of that. I think Marcus Camby is is floor. He could be much better than Camby because I think he can be a 4 at the next level.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/42141

Always the possibility I am totally off base when Chad Ford is saying he can be a 4 at the next level. I still think it is a possibility but again probably very unlikely.
                                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Jan 18, 2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X