Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm not totally sure he can't.

I would lean towards no but he does have the perimeter skills (passing, dribbling). He has great mechanics on his shot and a summer of shooting in the gym might make it more consistent. Again, he has grown 8 inches in a year and this year has been all about learning to play in the post and gaining size to his rail frame.

Again, it is highly unlikely but I wouldn't rule out impossible. The hope would be Kevin Durant. The fear would be Anthony Randolph.
    If he were capable of playing on the wing on offense, this does not necessarily mean that he needs to play on the wing defensively. He could be the ideal physical mismatch in this type of sense. Having a zone defence built around Valanciunas, Bargnani, and Anothony Davis would be incredible. They could basically cover the entire baseline just the three of them.

Run Anthony Davis at times inside, and then allow him to work off the wing as well could be a very effective weapon.
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Chad Ford chat a good one today

Anthony Davis:

Nick (Wisconsin)

Chad, there was a ton of hype going into this season about how good this upcoming draft class was going to be, is it safe to say that NBA scouts agree with this assessment? I'm not sure if there's a franchise game changer like Rose, Durant or Griffin, but the quality in depth that exists for like 12-15 picks is pretty crazy. What is your opinion on this years' potential draft class so far?

Chad Ford (1:41 PM)

I think that hype has actually cooled down a bit. Don't get me wrong, scouts think it's a good draft. Anthony Davis has lived up to expectations, though scouts don't quite see him in the same group as a Dwight Howard or Derrick Rose franchise changer. The next tier with Andre Drummond, Harrison Barnes, Thomas Robinson and Perry Jones III are all super talented, but all have weaknesses that could keep them from being All-Stars some day. After that, there's talent, but I actually think the 2011 Draft may have gone a little deeper.

Todd (Tn)

The question of always production vs. potential is talked about every year but doesn't Anthony Davis give you production+potential?

Chad Ford (1:49 PM)

Exactly. He currently leads all NCAA players in PER. It's always great when the stats are confirming the scouting reports and in this case there's a very strong correlation. Davis not only has all of the tools on paper of a No. 1 pick. He's playing like one right now.

PJIII vs. Robinson

Ryan (New York)

Thoughts on Thomas Robinson vs. Perry Jones the other night? Perry looked out of his element and got out worked.

Chad Ford (1:46 PM)

Don't totally agree with that. In the first half, both players were outstanding. Jones started to get fatigued and an ankle injury slowed him down a bit in the second half and Robinson just took over. Scouts are really split on the tow. Jones has more upside, has a much more polished offensive game and has superior size/length. Robinson is a much better rebounder is tougher, plays with a higher motor and he knows what he is. If Robinson was two inches taller, he might be the No. 1 pick in the draft. But concerns about his size continue to haunt him. I love the idea of Perry Jones ... but if I was drafting right now, I'd take Robinson.

Who is the best wing in college ball?

Mark (cleveland)

Barnes, Jeramy Lamb or Kidd-gilcrest? Who's the best pro?

Chad Ford (1:48 PM)

I have scouts arguing all three. Barnes is the smoothest scorer of the group. He's going to be a lock to be a 20+ point a night scorer at the next level. The question is whether he'll do anything else. Lamb has the potential to be a big scorer as well, though he doesn't quite has the same confidence that Barnes brings to the table. Kidd-Gilchrist is the toughest of the group. He'll be the best defender, the best leader, the intangibles guy who does all the little things it takes to win. He's also the rawest offensively. I think it will come down to what a team really needs. All three should be successful at the next level.

Freshmen returning? NOOOOOOOO!

Timmy (Boston)

I've heard about Cody Zeller wanting to return for his sophmore year, due to Indy's deep recruiting class coming in. Are there any other top 20 picks that seem willing to forego the draft? Or is it too early to tell?

Chad Ford (1:51 PM)

I"ve heard and reported the same about Zeller. It's probably too early to tell with the rest. Though I could see Kidd-Gilchrist staying around another year. Ditto for Quincy Miller and Patric Young.

How does Chad Ford put his big board together?

Nick (Wisconsin)

Chad, one thing I always wondered was, is your draft big board your big board or more of a representation of how people you talk to are feeling? If it's the latter, is there any player that you personally disagree with how NBA scouts/GM's view him?
      Chad Ford (1:55 PM)

It's a consensus from what I'm hearing from NBA scouts/GMs and this year, I'm talking to a few more team stat heads as well to include that dimension in the rankings. Do I personally disagree with some of the rankings? Of course. But I think the Top 10 is pretty solid right now. My personal rankings would be close. I'm probably a bit higher on Michael Kidd-Gilchrist that some scouts/GMs are. They're probably higher on Perry Jones than I am.

Source: Chad Ford, ESPN.com

Comment

• Not to forget the number one player on the number one team, Dion Waiters, shooting 52% from the field and a decent 2/1 assist to turnover ratio.

Mike (Charlotte)

What is your take on Dion Waiters? Can he be a poor man' Dwayne Wade in the NBA

Chad Ford (1:43 PM)

He's the same height and he's a tremendous, physical scorer. But he doesn't have the length or the explosive athletic ability that Wade had. Maybe more like Tyreke Evans ...

Comment

• If MKG and Miller both stay another year I will have the ugliest meltdown ever
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• They might stay because next year's draft doesn't project to be as strong (probably because of the new age two-year college career rule that's going to be implemented after this season). You might see a lot of freshmen stay (except for Davis and Drummond).

Guys like MKG, Miller, Kabongo and Beal could stay another season. As Raptor fans, we better hope to get a top-3 pick. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot with a TON of PF's.
            Last edited by MangoKid; Thu Jan 19, 2012, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
              They might stay because next year's draft doesn't project to be as strong (probably because of the new age two-year college career rule that's going to be implemented after this season). You might see a lot of freshmen stay (except for Davis and Drummond).

Guys like MKG, Miller, Kabongo and Beal could stay another season. As Raptor fans, we better hope to get a top-3 pick. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot with a TON of PF's.
              I thought a committee was to be formed after this season to review whether or not to do this, and therefore not set in stone yet.

Comment

• I was sure that that was going to be the new rule going forward. Guess not.

Comment

• As per ESPN Insider....

The Barnes, Kidd-Gilchrist debate
                  January, 20, 2012
                  By Chad Ford

Every year, NBA scouts and GMs obsess over big men -- especially centers -- and point guards come NBA draft time.

The tired cliché that you need a true point guard and center to win a NBA championship certainly didn't apply to Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls teams over the years and more recently didn't really hold true for Kobe Bryant's Los Angeles Lakers teams the past few seasons. That Miami Heat team everyone is picking to win it all this year? It is led by a shooting guard and a small forward.

What's interesting about the NBA's big man and point guard obsession is that, for the most part, the NBA is stocked with centers, power forwards and point guards. According to John Hollinger's PER statistics, this season, there are 34 point guards, 42 power forwards and 25 centers with a PER better than 15.

Teams really need to be mining the draft for a few wings. Currently, there are just 21 shooting guards and 19 small forwards who cross the 15 PER barrier. And 13 of those wings who are putting up those plus-15 PERs aren't even starters.

This year's draft could offer some welcome relief. We have four wings in the top 10 of our Top 100 and another four in the rest of our top 30.

At the top of the small forwards are two major talents -- North Carolina's Harrison Barnes and Kentucky's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. The two players offer a major contrast in styles. Barnes is one of the best pure scorers in college basketball. He has a silky smooth jumper and a high basketball IQ and isn't afraid to take a big shot in crunch time. Kidd-Gilchrist is a tough, athletic, energy player who can defend multiple positions and score off the dribble, and he brings infectious leadership to any team. He's a winner.

Scouts debate pretty furiously who the better long-term player will be. Barnes draws comparisons to Indiana's Danny Granger and Chicago's Luol Deng. Kidd-Gilchrist gets Gerald Wallace comps. The scouts who prefer Barnes say he's a can't-miss prospect who could easily average 20 ppg in the NBA. Kidd-Gilchrist fans claim his versatility and leadership will be coveted by any team that cares about winning. Although we currently have Barnes (Rank: 3) ranked ahead of Kidd-Gilchrist (7) on our Big Board, a handful of scouts feel that Kidd-Gilchrist is the better prospect long term.

At shooting guard, Florida's Bradley Beal and UConn's Jeremy Lamb get a lot of teams excited. Beal has struggled a bit playing out of position at Florida as a freshman, but his versatility, his shooting touch (ignore his 3-point field goal percentage, the kid can shoot) and his ability to get to the basket remind scouts of a young Eric Gordon. Lamb burst onto the scene late last season as Kemba Walker's No. 1 sidekick. With Walker in the NBA, Lamb has taken over as UConn's leading scorer at 17.7 ppg. Lamb's midrange game, length and silky smooth play remind some scouts of a younger Rip Hamilton.

Again, scouts seem pretty evenly divided on who the best prospect will be. But right now, Beal has the slight edge.

Several other wings -- including Washington's Terrence Ross, Duke's Austin Rivers, Vanderbilt's Jeff Taylor and Syracuse's Dion Waiters -- also are highly regarded by scouts and are potential impact players at the next level, as well.

Comment

• Good read. But thought there would be some mention of Perry Jones.

Maybe he's considered more of a PF right now?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Good read. But thought there would be some mention of Perry Jones.

Maybe he's considered more of a PF right now?
                      Yeah, I think most view his body type as a 4 for the NBA. But his skillset suggests that he could play the 3, much like Carmelo and Michael Beasley do and have done.

Comment

• Great games on CBS tomorrow (all times eastern):

noon Kentucky at Alabama
                        2pm Michigan at Arkansas
                        4pm Kansas at Texas/UConn at Tennessee

(Honestly, Michigan and Arkansas is not the games i am referring to as great).

Comment

• Quincy Miller had a great against a 5th ranked Missouri 29pts, 4rebs, 2blks, 4to, 12-17 FG, 1-1 3FG, 4-5 FT's
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Silly MKG fouled out
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Quincy Miller had a great against a 5th ranked Missouri 29pts, 4rebs, 2blks, 4to, 12-17 FG, 1-1 3FG, 4-5 FT's
                              What I find interesting is Jones III had 8 points on only 7 shots (4 made) and 4 rebounds. No foul trouble, as he only had 1.

Miller had 17 shots. I hope this is a shift for the team (although probably not). I think Miller is the real deal and Jones III will get a GM fired in the NBA.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                What I find interesting is Jones III had 8 points on only 7 shots (4 made) and 4 rebounds. No foul trouble, as he only had 1.

Miller had 17 shots. I hope this is a shift for the team (although probably not). I think Miller is the real deal and Jones III will get a GM fired in the NBA.
                                I couldn't agree anymore. He is way too passive with all the talent he has. It's not new either. His never dominated in the way his talent suggest he should. Even in high school he was underwelming.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X