2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I don't think MKG has same kind of potential as PJ3. His going so high cause more NBA ready and has the best chance of reaching his potential. It's not as high as players like PJ3.
    Without a very good perimeter game, he's already one of the best players in the draft, Just my opinion. Because if he is an NBA ready talent taken because of the reasons you've stated above, and can reach his potential, that potential has to very high because NBA wings need the perimeter game to be very successful(Do I need to post any names of successful wing players with the perimeter game?), and it's just something Gilchrist for sure DOESN'T have.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
      Without a very good perimeter game, he's already one of the best players in the draft, Just my opinion. Because if he is an NBA ready talent taken because of the reasons you've stated above, and can reach his potential, that potential has to very high because NBA wings need the perimeter game to be very successful(Do I need to post any names of successful wing players with the perimeter game?), and it's just something Gilchrist for sure DOESN'T have.
      how about a list of successful wings without a perimeter game?

i can only think wallace right off the top of my head

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        If the Raps win the lottery, I'm so torn. Davis is for sure the top pick, but with Valanciunas and Bargnani looking like stars (plus having Amir & Davis under contract), I can't help but think the Raps should swing a deal to land MKG/Barnes/Beal AND another solid asset (either a young rotation player, additional draft pick or future draft pick) if they're in the #1 position.

Can't wait for March Madness to start!
        i am also of the mind of trading the first pick if we get it for the 2nd or third plus extra. pure speculation but wouldnt a team like charlotte send us kemba and or biyombo with their pick for davis?

as long as we draft in the top 4 or maybe 5 we should get the 3 we so badly need.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
          how about a list of successful wings without a perimeter game?

i can only think wallace right off the top of my head
          Exactly.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            id take range over inside game we already have JV
            I personally take the better percentage scorer (LBJ is praised for his ridiculous FG% that he's putting up this season because he is dedicated to scoring on the inside).

For this team specifically I think it's better for our SF to be able to score on the inside as our PF is a perimeter player. Can't only have perimeter scorers and expect JV to dominate on the inside. To my knowledge JV gets his points off put backs and finishing on the pick and roll (mostly). That is not the defenition of a dominant inside scorer, imo.

Comment

For me, the Raps big board is down to 3: MKG, Barnes and Beal. The NCAA tourney will determine how I rank them #1 thru #3 (or 1-2, if MKG truly does decide to stay in school another season).

PJIII, Miller, Lamb all seem like extreme hit-or-miss type picks. Each of them could be stars, or busts (as top-5 picks). MKG, Barnes and Beal seem much more of sure thing top-7 rotation type players (at least).

I don't think the Raps have much need for either of Drummond or Robinson, purely from a positional standpoint. I'd much rather target MKG, Barnes or Beal over both of them.

If the Raps win the lottery, I'm so torn. Davis is for sure the top pick, but with Valanciunas and Bargnani looking like stars (plus having Amir & Davis under contract), I can't help but think the Raps should swing a deal to land MKG/Barnes/Beal AND another solid asset (either a young rotation player, additional draft pick or future draft pick) if they're in the #1 position.

It's a good problem to have. No hesitation in my mind though that they should keep Davis. A combination of Davis and JV spells block party. Two young, hungry, uber talented bigs manning the front court along with the talented wing which trading Bargnani can get you or even amnesty his contract and add to the cap space going into the summer. Not that it will happen, but you have to think of the possibilities.

Comment

• The NBA draft lottery is fixed. Didn't you know? David Stern has an account in a Cayman Island bank that gets a huge deposit every June. No future superstars are allowed to be siphoned off to north of the border. The NBA learned its lesson with Vince Carter. The only way the Raptors can possibly come up with the winning ping pong ball is if it's a very bad draft year as in 2005. This is a good draft, unfortunately.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                  The NBA draft lottery is fixed. Didn't you know? David Stern has an account in a Cayman Island bank that gets a huge deposit every June. No future superstars are allowed to be siphoned off to north of the border. The NBA learned its lesson with Vince Carter. The only way the Raptors can possibly come up with the winning ping pong ball is if it's a very bad draft year as in 2005. This is a good draft, unfortunately.
                  perfect for me because im hoping for 2-5

Comment

• Who would you want with the 2nd round pick?

I would want Scott Machado. Yeah, I know who? Scott Machado is the most underated guard in the nation. His a quick guard with really good handle and oh yeah he led the nation in assist (9.9 ast 3.2 to 3.08 A/T). The knock on him is that he played against weak competition in the MAAC. He run pretty much the best offense in the country(1st points per 83.3, 1st in ast per 19.3, 2nd in FG .504).He has lead that top ranked offense to the dance. His actually playing tonight against BYU to see who will play against #3 Marquette on Thursday. Should be a good game.

13.6 Pts 3.2 TO 9.9 Ast 5.0 Reb FG .490 3FG .411 FT .808

Could be a steal in the 2nd Round
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Melo's out of the NCAA tournament, the worst possible timing for a suspension. This may lead to Melo declaring this year if Boeheim doesn't want him back. The Orange are on Nerlan Noel's short list so this could create more playing time in the middle in the view of a potential recruit. Chad Ford has Fab as a late first rounder. Strong defender, decent rebounder and passer with not much offensively, Melo would be a nice back up center for a team like the Raptors. In two years at Syracuse he has run into trouble with the law and the NCAA.

Comment

• I say we package the second rounder with a player for a late first rounder

Comment

• St. Bonaventure is a team to watch this year.

They've got 3 Canadians on the team, but namely, they've got Andrew Nicholson from Mississauga.

Nicholson, a 6-9 power forward, is having one of the greatest months in memory. He’s been the Atlantic 10 player of the week for four straight weeks and his 26-point, 14-rebound, eight-block gem against Xavier got the Bonnies into the tournament. This caps an illustrious career for the senior, who may very well have played himself into the first round of the NBA draft.

“I remember when coach (Mark) Schmidt recruited me,” said Nicholson. “He said you are a special player and you can do something. I wanted to go to school where I could make a difference. … We did it.”
                          Source
                          AND from the same link, I found something interesting as well.
                          Was loving Brady Heslip for Baylor during the Tournament, but just read this about him:

Brady Heslip, a sharp-shooting transfer guard at Baylor (No. 3, South) has some solid genes to rely on, too. His dad, Tom, was a former high school and college standout in southern Ontario and his uncle, Jay Triano, knew his way around the court for sure.
                          Well I'll be ..
                          Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 13, 2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            I would want Scott Machado. Yeah, I know who? Scott Machado is the most underated guard in the nation. His a quick guard with really good handle and oh yeah he led the nation in assist (9.9 ast 3.2 to 3.08 A/T). The knock on him is that he played against weak competition in the MAAC. He run pretty much the best offense in the country(1st points per 83.3, 1st in ast per 19.3, 2nd in FG .504).He has lead that top ranked offense to the dance. His actually playing tonight against BYU to see who will play against #3 Marquette on Thursday. Should be a good game.

13.6 Pts 3.2 TO 9.9 Ast 5.0 Reb FG .490 3FG .411 FT .808

Could be a steal in the 2nd Round
                            I've been intrigued by him as a possible second round pick for a little while. It will be interesting to see how he performs in March Madness. They are currently playing BYU and at half he has the current stat line:

3 for 3 from the floor, 1/1 free throw, 7 points, 9 assists. No idea how many minutes he played, but considering it is half time those are some very solid numbers to look at.

Assuming they win this game (15 point lead at half) they will play Marquette which would be a very difficult match-up for anyone. I don't give Iona much chance to upset Marquette, but to see what Machado can do against a higher level of competition would make for an interesting view.

Edit: Iona absolutely fell apart in the second half and lost to BYU 78-72. Machado finished the game 6/9 from the field, 2/2 field goal, 15 points (led his team), 10 assists, and 2 rebounds. Still see him as a potential second round pick.
                            Last edited by Shantz; Wed Mar 14, 2012, 12:00 AM.
                            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

For me, the Raps big board is down to 3: MKG, Barnes and Beal. The NCAA tourney will determine how I rank them #1 thru #3 (or 1-2, if MKG truly does decide to stay in school another season).

PJIII, Miller, Lamb all seem like extreme hit-or-miss type picks. Each of them could be stars, or busts (as top-5 picks). MKG, Barnes and Beal seem much more of sure thing top-7 rotation type players (at least).

I don't think the Raps have much need for either of Drummond or Robinson, purely from a positional standpoint. I'd much rather target MKG, Barnes or Beal over both of them.

That's exactly my top 3 list as well - and the order really depends on what BC sees in Demar. I don't see pairing Demar with MKG as the best fit, but I see MKG as potentially the best fit with Coach Casey and Bargnani.

Food for thought, MKG is 6'7 - he could be a crazy stopper and hustle man at the SG ... He and James Johnson would be a legit force for stopping wing tandems like Lebron and DWade. This would require some scoring punch from the PG position, but that could be filled with a Demar deal, I think.

Only part I'm not onboard with is the Davis trade ... I am super pumped about the JV and Bargs combo - but I think it's impossible to ignore such a rare talent as Davis. They only come around every so often.
                              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

• Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                                That's exactly my top 3 list as well - and the order really depends on what BC sees in Demar. I don't see pairing Demar with MKG as the best fit, but I see MKG as potentially the best fit with Coach Casey and Bargnani.

Food for thought, MKG is 6'7 - he could be a crazy stopper and hustle man at the SG ... He and James Johnson would be a legit force for stopping wing tandems like Lebron and DWade. This would require some scoring punch from the PG position, but that could be filled with a Demar deal, I think.

Only part I'm not onboard with is the Davis trade ... I am super pumped about the JV and Bargs combo - but I think it's impossible to ignore such a rare talent as Davis. They only come around every so often.
                                haha I'm not sold on an Anthony Davis trade either, should the Raps get the #1 pick.

On one hand, I would immediately trade Ed Davis & Amir, to enjoy the Valanciunas, Bargnani and A.Davis three-headed monster at the C/PF positions for years to come. I think the Raps could get a pretty decent return for those 2 guys, to address needs at other positions.

On the other hand, I'd at least be willing to listen to offers for the #1 pick. If some team were to offer a pick in the 2-7 range AND a legit good young player at the PG, SG or SF position, I'd at least have to consider it. In that case, I'd still be looking to unload either Amir/Ed, to be left with Valanciunas & Gray at C and Bargnani & Ed/Amir at PF.

Or who knows, maybe Portland's free-fall continues and they wind up with a pick around #9 (they would have the 13th pick as of today, but are only 2 games ahead of 9th worst), so they offer that pick and Batum for the #1 overall pick. An offer like that would definitely make BC think long and hard about trading the pick, or so I would assume.

So many options to consider when teams are clamoring for the #1 overall pick! Please lottery balls, be kind to the Raptors!

Comment

Working...
                                X