Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors a "serious" suitor of DeAndre Jordan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ceez wrote: View Post
    You guys have heard of depth right? You really think big Val is going to be playing 40 minutes a night the first couple years he's here?
    There are 48 minutes available at center. Jordan is going to end up playing probably around 30 minutes, which leaves 18 for Valanciunas. And that doesn't even take into consideration the garbage minutes that occur. The last lottery pick for the Raptors to play less than 20 mpg in his rookie season was Rafael Araujo. And I don't see Valanciunas do that. I'd look for him to play around 25 mpg, leaving only 23 mpg for Jordan. And there are obviously no minutes available at PF.

There is such thing as too much depth. It's how players become disgruntled. Is that what we want to do? Have disgruntled players so we can say we've got two starting quality centers?

IF Jordan signs with the Raptors, you pretty much have to trade one PF now and one later.

Besides, considering the Raptors have NO starting quality SFs and a huge question mark at PG, aren't those areas that should be focused on first?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Jordan FTW

I think JV is gonna take a couple of years to get his bearings in the NBA anyway, getting a guy like Jordan doesnt tie us up too much, we can trade him later cant we? I am sure he will be in demand worst comes to worst. Are we sure that we will need to amnesty someone to sign him? Don't we have like 7+ million available, that wont be enough?

I think we do have a log jam at PF anyway need to trade one of our PF's, I think we knew that at the end of last year.
      "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
        I think JV is gonna take a couple of years to get his bearings in the NBA anyway, getting a guy like Jordan doesnt tie us up too much, we can trade him later cant we? I am sure he will be in demand worst comes to worst. Are we sure that we will need to amnesty someone to sign him? Don't we have like 7+ million available, that wont be enough?

I think we do have a log jam at PF anyway need to trade one of our PF's, I think we knew that at the end of last year.
        Valanciunas will need a couple of seasons to get his bearings, but you'll still want him to play more than 20 mog. Something that won't be possible with Jordan starting at center.

And I don't like signing a big name free agent with the intention of trading him later. It doesn't look very good, especially when so few big name free agents sign with Toronto.

You think Jordan will go for less than $8 million? Have you seen what the other centers are asking for, and there's not a All Star among them. Jordan is a 23 year old highly athletic 7 footer who was 10th in the league in blocked shots and would have easily been #1 in field goal percentage had he made enough to qualify. And he's on the verge of a breakthrough season where he could very well become a top 10 center. Plus, he's a restricted free agent, so you'll have to offer him a contract so big the Clippers (who are high on him) won't want to match. Yes, I think they'll need more than $7+ million.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          I think they'd sign Jordan and trade someone else if it's true. Someone like Amir Johnson or Andrea Bargnani. Maybe they assume JV can play PF? I think it would be a fair assumption.
          I don't think Valanciunas can play PF, i actually even think, he can't, it doesn't even make sense to try it. Trading one PF, doesn't make a loophole in this position yet.

Comment

irgigi wrote: View Post
            I don't think Valanciunas can play PF, i actually even think, he can't, it doesn't even make sense to try it. Trading one PF, doesn't make a loophole in this position yet.
            I'm not big on the idea, but why don't you think Valanciunas can play PF? He's obviously got the length. He's probably got above average agility for the position.
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

KakashiPrince wrote: View Post
              why amnesty Jose, if he has one year of his contract?
              He has two seasons left - 2011/12 and 2012/13.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                I'm not big on the idea, but why don't you think Valanciunas can play PF? He's obviously got the length. He's probably got above average agility for the position.
                I just think he's suited for C better. Theoretically he could try going PF, but it would be different he was ever doing. I would understand, if we had a decent center already (i.e. San Antonio case, Duncan moved to PF, because they had Robinson). In Toronto case, it doesn't make sense to me, move JV, who is natural center, to PF and then trade out some our decent PF's to acquire C.
                I see more point in Valanciunas sharing minutes with DeAndre Jordan. And one of PF's still can be traded out for SF, PG or draft pick.
                The fact is Raptors need C anyway, the only problem would be, if he (Jordan) is going take too much minutes form JV. If JV is looking good, they can trade Jordan out. Next season Raptors are expected to be playoff contenders (even if high draft or new FA will not work well), and BC prolly don't expect too much from JV his first season.

Comment

I would not mind in the least having DeAndre Jordan on the team.

If he is here though, the Raptors are going to have to send one of Andrea/Amir/ED packing.

Comment

i think you can chalk up the raptors being included among those teams simply because they have cap room, and have made noise about acquiring a 5. IMO, there's as little chance of an offer being presented (or of that offer not being matched) by the raps for DJ as there is for gasol or chandler or nene.

Tim W. - you touched on a point in one of your earlier posts that seems to be getting glossed over by the fandom...the raps have far bigger issues than getting (yet another) front-court body added to the roster who can play the 5. it's telling that the front office seems obsessed with moving bargs to the 4 (stealing minutes away from guys they've invested in pretty heavily - davis & amir) & going after a 5 when - as you mention - they have FAR greater needs at the 1 & the 3 (long term). it seems so counter-intuitive to focus on an area that isn't likely to have a major impact on improving the team - either now or in the future - but that will help protect their 'best' player's feelings.

granted, there aren't a whole lot of 1's or 3's out there in FA, but tying up cap space going after an unneeded 5 has more to do (IMO) with quelling a fanbase than it does with building a winning foundation.
                    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      While I like them going after a young big man like Jordan more than older guys like Chandler and Nene, I still don't see the point. What happens next year when Valanciunas comes? The front court is already crowded. Do they sign Jordan only to trade him? You can't pay Jordan the amount of money it would take to steal him away from the Clippers (and the other teams) only to platoon him.

I have a feeling this rumour is about as solid as the ones about Chandler.
                      Reggie's gonna go, Ajinca might go..so it won't be that crowded.
                      The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                      Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                      www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                      http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I would not mind in the least having DeAndre Jordan on the team.

If he is here though, the Raptors are going to have to send one of Andrea/Amir/ED packing.
                        Another possibility is to package JV and the Raptors first rond pick for the first overall pick.

Is it realistic at this time? No idea. But I would not hesitate to consider this option if that's what it would take to acquire the Chosen One if the first selection overall has a good enough probability to become a franchise player.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                          Another possibility is to package JV and the Raptors first rond pick for the first overall pick.

Is it realistic at this time? No idea. But I would not hesitate to consider this option if that's what it would take to acquire the Chosen One if the first selection overall has a good enough probability to become a franchise player.
                          I'm okay with this. I would rather package that pick with someone like Derozan or Davis instead of JV just because we don't know what JV's upside will be yet. JV has the potential to be really good - a top 5 center in the league. Not sure I would put Derozan or Davis in that same category.

This kind of deal would have to wait until the draft so we have a better chance of knowing what the consensus #1 is going to be like. If the top 4 guys in the draft could all be rated as franchise players, then there is no point in doing it, assuming you have a pick in the top 4.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post

I dont understand. You can only do this after the lottery is held (to deal with the team who won). This team in all likelihood is a bad team. The prohibitive favourite right now is Anthony Davis. I dont see anyone giving him up. On the flip side the Raps dont know where they are picking (it could be #2). I wouldnt do that deal for the Raps considering the player I expect JV to become and the draft class 2012 is shaping up to be. You are potentially trading 2 franchise players for 1.

Comment

Unless you're getting a guy like Blake Griffin or Durant why would you trade big Val? Do you know how hard it is to get a franchise center?
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

irgigi wrote: View Post
                                I just think he's suited for C better. Theoretically he could try going PF, but it would be different he was ever doing. I would understand, if we had a decent center already (i.e. San Antonio case, Duncan moved to PF, because they had Robinson). In Toronto case, it doesn't make sense to me, move JV, who is natural center, to PF and then trade out some our decent PF's to acquire C.
                                I see more point in Valanciunas sharing minutes with DeAndre Jordan. And one of PF's still can be traded out for SF, PG or draft pick.
                                The fact is Raptors need C anyway, the only problem would be, if he (Jordan) is going take too much minutes form JV. If JV is looking good, they can trade Jordan out. Next season Raptors are expected to be playoff contenders (even if high draft or new FA will not work well), and BC prolly don't expect too much from JV his first season.
                                I agree that Valanciunas is best suited to center, but my point is that he can play PF easily if he was needed to. I think there's this big myth out there that the center and power forward positions are so different and that's simply not true. The only issue would be whether or not he has the quickness to keep up with PFs who are generally quicker than centers, and I think he easily does.

I'm not saying I would go after Jordan if it was me, but as long as Bargnani is the first to go to make room, then I don't have a big problem with it.
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X