Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you happy with the direction of the 2011-2012 Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definitely agree we're headed in the right direction. If asked 12 months ago if we thought BC had the stomach to build a team from the ground up, a lot of folks (myself included) would've laughed at the idea.

Comment

This has been BC's best offseason. Progressively building. No more shortcuts, I'm loving it.

Also, I'm not too big a fan of Barnes.

Comment

Matt52, strangely enough I agree with every word of your post. I thought you'd get into some nonsense about DDR being a future star or something, but you seem to agree with me that he's a role player. Have you always thought so?

I think they should clear the decks and sign as many star players as possible, a la Miami. And I don't buy for a minute that star players don't want to come to Toronto. Shaq already said that was b.s.

If the Raps have the cap space and complementary players they can absolutely get the star players. Even Donald Sterling is now attracting stars, and he's the worst owner in pro sports.

Comment

Very happy with the direction of the team.

Only thing I'm worried/concerned about is Orlando and NO joining the tanking sweepstakes, depending on whether they deal and what they get back in return. Nothing you can do it, the timing is just unfortunate.

Comment

This is the first time in a very long time that I feel that the Raptors are building towards something good. This is not the 2006 draft class all over again. This is going to be a strong draft class, and Bryan seems to recognize that. We have some young talent with loads of potential, and serious cap space.

I'm still concerned that Bryan may go and shop for the wrong types of guys next year - and just because you have cap space doesn't necessarily mean you'll pick up all star talent (look at Sacramento this year). But that's something to worry about next year after we have hopefully drafted a stud in 2012.

Comment

Yes, but I wish we got Pietrus, we have like no one who can defend SF and he would have been a huge improvement.

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
                This has been BC's best offseason. Progressively building. No more shortcuts, I'm loving it.

Also, I'm not too big a fan of Barnes.
                Interesting. I have also been thinking more about Kidd-Gilchrist or Miller, if they are outside of the top two or three picks. If they are in the top two, I think they have to go with Davis or Drummond, and then make the best trade possible to balance out the roster.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                  Matt52, strangely enough I agree with every word of your post. I thought you'd get into some nonsense about DDR being a future star or something, but you seem to agree with me that he's a role player. Have you always thought so?

I think they should clear the decks and sign as many star players as possible, a la Miami. And I don't buy for a minute that star players don't want to come to Toronto. Shaq already said that was b.s.

If the Raps have the cap space and complementary players they can absolutely get the star players. Even Donald Sterling is now attracting stars, and he's the worst owner in pro sports.
                  I have never looked at DD as a franchise player or as a possible first option.

My thoughts on him as an all-star will be more confident after this season but as of now I'd say his ceiling is a borerline all-star.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                    Very happy with the direction of the team.

Only thing I'm worried/concerned about is Orlando and NO joining the tanking sweepstakes, depending on whether they deal and what they get back in return. Nothing you can do it, the timing is just unfortunate.
                    Don't forget Charlotte.

However, SAC seemed to have got better. Cleveland will be better. Minnesota will be better. If New Jersey gets D12 they will be much better. Toronto should be in the bottom 4 of the league.

Comment

Very happy too.

I have big hopes for ED, I think he will turn out as one of the most underrated player from Class 2010. Let's not forget that he brought his skinny frame among grown-ups after almost a year of inactivity and still managed to fire a nice 8/7 in 24 min. I think this kid and his work ethic are worth way more than a "potential NBA starter".

Building through draft does not mean hitting jackpot once. Usually, that does not work (Cavs with LeBron, Magic with Howard) cause your superstar makes too much of a difference in year 1 and you end up struggling to surround him with young talent. Building through draft is OKC (and I'd add Portland if they had not been struck by the Roy/Oden curse) : solid to outstanding prospects at least 3 consecutive year. I truly believe that DD/ED/JV/[whoever we get next year] is one hell of a draft streak if you compare it to what other teams have achieved.

In addition to this, we also have a potential wild-card in the recent ownership change : in 2-3 years, we'll (hopefully) face the luxury tax question, and new owners might be less reluctant on this...

Comment

Fanchie wrote: View Post
                        Very happy too.

I have big hopes for ED, I think he will turn out as one of the most underrated player from Class 2010. Let's not forget that he brought his skinny frame among grown-ups after almost a year of inactivity and still managed to fire a nice 8/7 in 24 min. I think this kid and his work ethic are worth way more than a "potential NBA starter".

Building through draft does not mean hitting jackpot once. Usually, that does not work (Cavs with LeBron, Magic with Howard) cause your superstar makes too much of a difference in year 1 and you end up struggling to surround him with young talent. Building through draft is OKC (and I'd add Portland if they had not been struck by the Roy/Oden curse) : solid to outstanding prospects at least 3 consecutive year. I truly believe that DD/ED/JV/[whoever we get next year] is one hell of a draft streak if you compare it to what other teams have achieved.

In addition to this, we also have a potential wild-card in the recent ownership change : in 2-3 years, we'll (hopefully) face the luxury tax question, and new owners might be less reluctant on this...
                        Not sure if that wild card really exists. Even before the ownership change, spending money has never been an issue in Toronto.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                          Yes, but I wish we got Pietrus, we have like no one who can defend SF and he would have been a huge improvement.
                          Pietrus wasn't considered a long term piece anyway, so with the addition of Butler, things evened out.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Looking through the comments of Arse's article on the homepage of RR regarding this weekend's signings has left me baffled.

Three things I guess one needs to keep in mind before I continue:
                            1) many people will never be happy,
                            2) many people struggle to see the forest through the trees - especially if they don't follow college ball,
                            3) many people are experts in the science of hindsight.

So why am I baffled? Because it appears there are only extremists in Raptorland.

"We are going to win at least 33 games (equivalent of 41), be at least a .500 team, and make the 8th seed at minimum."

"We are awful. The Raptors should leave town. No free agent will ever sign here. We are going to be bad but it won't matter, we're not getting a franchise player. BC was an idiot in in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and still is one in 2011 - oh yeah, and will be an idiot next year too. There is no plan moving forward. Why didn't we go after Gasol/Chandler/Nene or anyone who would help us this year?"

To be honest, now I'm being extreme. There are a number of views that are rational and reasonable in my opinion. My opinion is very much appreciating what we are witnessing. In my view the Raptors are finally on the right path. It is not the easy path or the path to instant gratification but it is a path that will lead to more than a first round exit.

This is how I see the 2011-12 Raptors:

1) We are going to be one of the worst teams with one of the brightest futures.
                            2) We have a coach who excels in what the Raptors have long lacked - defense.
                            3) We have a roster that, despite being told they will suck, will do everything they can to prove the naysayers wrong - unfortunately they will not have the talent to overcome.
                            4) We have a lot of young players who are going to learn from professionals who have been around the league a long time - staying power, absent star talent, is a testament to professionalism, hard work, and knowing your role.
                            5) We have a lot of young players who are going to be taught first and coached second - it has become a cliche but this really is building.
                            6) We have a team that is committed to change because the alternative is to pick bench splinters from one's ass.
                            7) We have a team with young players with something to prove in one way or another - either that they belong in the NBA (Bayless, JJ, hopefully Forbes), they are worth their contract (Amir), they possess starter talent (ED), they are a legit NBA star (DD), they can do more than score (guess who).
                            8) We have one summer to add a free agent or two who matter before worrying about contract extensions to players rolling off rookie deals.
                            9) Rookie deals are 4 years as are signing free agents or sign and trades - i.e. we can offer a max contract this summer and a near max contract if Calderon is amnestied (about $22-23M in cap space).
                            10) Any massive contract offered next summer would expire at the same time JV's and 2012 pick rookie deals end.
                            11) At the trade deadline or draft, the Raptors have assets in Bargnani (like him or not), Barbosa, ED, and expiring contracts.
                            12) The current roster has a number of great role players and 2nd/3rd options but no franchise player in a year when they will struggle and.......
                            13) The 2012 draft is loaded.

What are your thoughts on the 2011-12 Raptors? Are you happy with the direction the franchise is headed?
                            I'm with you Matt on most of this stuff

I've been saying for the past month or so that I want the Raptors to build from within but at the same time I could see a route where they also could potentially benefit from being a bigger player now in free agency. Well, that second bit made a lot of people take issue. Pretty much everyone was against signing a high profile free agent or anyone for the matter who might lead to a few more wins. That was cool, I didn't agree that one guy could do that for this team because it's not like Steve Nash or LeBron James was available but whatever, I got the message loud. We didn't want the Raptors to get fancy, we just wanted them to roll with what they had and pick up a few vet leaders along the way. So what did they do? They picked up a couple vet leaders along the way and as a bonus they added a few decent prospects. What does Colangelo get for that around here? Mixed reviews. Some people liked it and some people threw him under the bus, complaining that he didn't make a big splash. Are bleepin' kidding me? Where were you people before he made his moves and everyone was crying for the team to sink fast?

This season will stink if your wish is for the Raptors to make the playoffs. I think anyone who was expecting them to make a play for the post season can't possibly be a hardcore fan because if you're a hardcore fan you know what's in the draft and you know that the team as is wasn't going to make the playoffs no matter the free agent signing. They would have had to do a deal moving a core piece or probably two for some vets. That doesn't make any sense long term.

By the way, I am totally against trading Ed. I don't see the benefit. His value isn't going to be at it's peak at the deadline and that Raptors are going to need a player like him next year and beyond.

Comment

yeah, i'm in the same camp as most - this is the right direction for the team at this time. i just hope that BC et al have the patience to see this through properly, and not get jittery if they go on an extended losing skid (and try to quell the angst of the fanbase by dealing for stop-gap help from a position of weakness) or conversely, if they play better/produce more Ws than expected, to avoid the temptation to tweak the roster (read: improve it) & fight for the 8th spot. be patient, stay the course, let the youngsters grow, weed out those who don't figure into long-term plans, and scout scout scout.

couple other thoughts - it's nice to see them picking up essentially scrubs on short-term deals (gray, carter, butler), but there is a risk with these types of players on short deals - they're all going to be looking forward to their next deal, which they realize likely won't be with TO, and so there is a risk that they develop a bit of me-itis (essentially, playing as individuals looking to draw attention from potential future suitors). it can have a negative impact on the team, and can be a poor example for young players - which runs counter to why these vets were brought on board in the first place.

also - could not being a player in the FA craziness be the best move long-term, not just for the raptors, but for teams in general? i mean, holy shit, there're some ridonkulous contracts being handed out. i mean, yeah, tyson chandler...nice player, important cog, yada yada...but good gawd. ditto for gasol, jordan, nene...all look to be getting contracts that will SERIOUSLY overpay them. makes the deals for bargs & calderon look half-decent by comparison. good thing the L just shut down for a few months so they could implement a CBA that would curb outrageous spending on marginal players. i guess there's no curbing stupidity.
                              TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                My thoughts on him as an all-star will be more confident after this season but as of now I'd say his ceiling is a borerline all-star.
                                So you think he could hit his ceiling this season then I guess? At age 23? He's going to be a 20PPG player this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X