Free Agency 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thead wrote: View Post
    I really think with the type of team we are trying to build we have to stretch the floor. DeRozan and Johnson do not keep defenses honest. We need a lights out shooter at the two or the three. Both would be even better
    +1

Comment

I really think with the type of team we are trying to build we have to stretch the floor. DeRozan and Johnson do not keep defenses honest. We need a lights out shooter at the two or the three. Both would be even better
      Agree.

Comment

the only valid point is that DeRozan can drive...but even his handles are suspect. How many times did we ever see DeRozan break down his defender. A lot more often you saw him come off a hard screen.
        +1 again.

DeRozan can't create something out of nothing but give him some space via screen or a lane via ball movement with a couple of shooters to ensure the lane doesn't get closed by the help and he can definitely create something. If the defense cheats on the screen or closes out to take away the drive, he does have a good mid-range game.

Which reminds me.... a lot of players in today's game can drive and shoot the three but they do not have a mid range game. I give DeRozan as much grief as anyone but a good mid-range game is a valuable skill and there are a lot of teams out there who have players lacking the skill.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          +1 again.

DeRozan can't create something out of nothing but give him some space via screen or a lane via ball movement with a couple of shooters to ensure the lane doesn't get closed by the help and he can definitely create something. If the defense cheats on the screen or closes out to take away the drive, he does have a good mid-range game.

Which reminds me.... a lot of players in today's game can drive and shoot the three but they do not have a mid range game. I give DeRozan as much grief as anyone but a good mid-range game is a valuable skill and there are a lot of teams out there who have players lacking the skill.
          Rip Hamilton made a living by coming off screens and hitting mid-range jumpers. This skill is underrated.

I think, more than anything, we need the bigs to develop a respectable mid-range game. Everyone can talk about rebounding and defense, but if the Raps decide carry on running misdirection plays to get DeMar open through screens, it is important for those bigs setting the screen to be able to hit a short-corner, pocket jumpshot.

As of right now, only Bargnani qualifies - but he is not a good screener.

It opens up the floor for someone like DeMar. When he curls off screens, the defense can trap him, which most times leaves open a pocket pass to the big who set the screen. More than likely, this means an open 15 foot jumper on the short corner. If you don't have bigs who are capable of hitting these shots, then the play cannot be used to its full capacity.
          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Sustaining power

Here's a question we all haven't been really focusing on but one that needs to be asked because it will have a large impact on what direction the Raptors take in free agency:

What free agent player(s) who are realistically in play could have the largest impact on the team now and into the next three to four years?

This is an important question for many reasons:
            1. Colangelo has no extension and his fate may be decided based on how the team performs in 2012/13.
            2. While Casey has his extension should Colangelo be removed in a year, Casey's extension suddenly does not insure job secuirty as most GM's like to install their own choice of coach.
            3. If Colangelo does get an extension what is the 2-3 years a that extension? In other words, when will he again be sweating over an extension after get over the current hurdle?

With this in mind I've switched my thinking to him putting down all spare cash on one guy who offer major impact on the starting five. It could be a young guy like Batum, it could be an old guy like Nash or it could be somebody off our radar right now that will be in play after a couple trades. I'm not sold on Colangelo doing his typical technique of overpaying for a trio of average guys who would be #8-10 on a good team's depth chart at best. This is for sure.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              Here's a question we all haven't been really focusing on but one that needs to be asked because it will have a large impact on what direction the Raptors take in free agency:

What free agent player(s) who are realistically in play could have the largest impact on the team now and into the next three to four years?

This is an important question for many reasons:
              1. Colangelo has no extension and his fate may be decided based on how the team performs in 2012/13.
              2. While Casey has his extension should Colangelo be removed in a year, Casey's extension suddenly does not insure job secuirty as most GM's like to install their own choice of coach.
              3. If Colangelo does get an extension what is the 2-3 years a that extension? In other words, when will he again be sweating over an extension after get over the current hurdle?

With this in mind I've switched my thinking to him putting down all spare cash on one guy who offer major impact on the starting five. It could be a young guy like Batum, it could be an old guy like Nash or it could be somebody off our radar right now that will be in play after a couple trades. I'm not sold on Colangelo doing his typical technique of overpaying for a trio of average guys who would be #8-10 on a good team's depth chart at best. This is for sure.
              All this speculating would be easier knowing where the Raptors pick.

This has been my thinking - except I see 2 guys.

I'm sure I'll be proven wrong but I see Nash coming via a double S&T with Bayless the key piece being sent out to make the numbers work.

As for the other guy, I'm not sure who it would be but the Raptors have pieces and cap space to put something together. It probably makes it extremely difficult but I'd love to see the pick and Bargnani here when the dust settles.

Josh Smith and Rudy Gay seem the most logical..... notice I did not say probable just logical given circumstances with each team.

Comment

• What if Nash wants to play here and the Suns want to facilitate a S&T (something Nash might care about because he's such a standup guy) and they're willing to take Calderon in the trade under the condition that the Raptors also must take Childress with Nash?

Comment

What if Nash wants to play here and the Suns want to facilitate a S&T (something Nash might care about because he's such a standup guy) and they're willing to take Calderon in the trade under the condition that the Raptors also must take Childress with Nash?
                  Oh I dont think the Suns are in a position to "demand". Something like that wouldn't be in the spirit of the understanding with Nash (a presumption here of course). Nash after all is not going to get a max deal. I am sure their understanding would be a reasonable exchange not a robbery. After all he can just walk and they get nothing or do they want to put the team (like the Raps) taking on Nash in jeopardy of being a decent one going forward.

Comment

What if Nash wants to play here and the Suns want to facilitate a S&T (something Nash might care about because he's such a standup guy) and they're willing to take Calderon in the trade under the condition that the Raptors also must take Childress with Nash?
                    nash won't be adding extra dollars or years on his contract so a sign and trade isn't really needed. and i think they would be happy with calderons 10 million expiring to trade for picks later in the year.

i think mayo could really help us out and be realistically gettable.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                      Oh I dont think the Suns are in a position to "demand". Something like that wouldn't be in the spirit of the understanding with Nash (a presumption here of course). Nash after all is not going to get a max deal. I am sure their understanding would be a reasonable exchange not a robbery. After all he can just walk and they get nothing or do they want to put the team (like the Raps) taking on Nash in jeopardy of being a decent one going forward.
                      Clearly but they're certainly in the position to not participate.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        We were talking about Redick a few pages back.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...l=1#post129985

I disagree Redick is not a solid defensive player. He didn't play for Stan Van Gundy until he showed he could play defense... and not just play it, play it well. You don't need incredible athleticism to play great defense - Bruce Bowen and Shane Battier come immediately to mind of great defenders who I would not consider uber-athletic. For SVG to say the following quote he must have real faith in you on both sides of the ball:

SVG is a huge whiner but a great coach. He doesn't hand out praise like candy on Hallowe'en.
                        Well, there are differences from being a tremendous effort player to being a very good defender.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Why can't a player have both?

Comment

Why can't a player have both?
                            Not saying you can't be both, but there are players who have one or the other. Like Redick himself. Not a great defensive player, but a great effort player.

Comment

• Players have tremendous effort, and can really get after it, but aren't really good defensive players to start with. We have one of those players who isn't so good defensively, but when willing to work can be effective. Mr. Andrea Bargnani.

That's just what I've seen in Redick when he plays, I see a great shooter, a really good effort player, but not a defensive stopper, or even a great defensive player.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                                Not saying you can't be both, but there are players who have one or the other. Like Redick himself. Not a great defensive player, but a great effort player.
                                Alright, well he's a good defensive player who gives great effort. How many of them can you count on the Raptors right now? If you get past three fingers I will be totally shocked.

Comment

Working...
                                X