Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calderon wants to be traded to a Contender? Update: Raps feel the same? (post 37)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Matt, I'm wondering if in 5 years, you'll be switching your avatar from having BC in it to Demar. I think it will take that long for DD to get it as well. No way in hell that Orlando would let go of Redick. SVG's game plan always involves 2 to 3, 3-point shooters in the court at any given time.
    Calderon can hit threes.

Comment

Would you trade Barbosa and Calderon for Orton, Redick and J. Nelson?

Comment

could a deal for Calderon to the Knicks for landry fields involving a 3rd party be orchestrated somehow?
        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Here's one:

Calderon/Alabi to Houston for Thabeet, Flynn (both have team options next year) and NY's 2012 pick (top 5 protected).

NY should have a good pick, especially if they fail to make the playoffs (which appears to be very possible). Houston could use a solid backup for Lowry when Dragic tests free agency next year and a partner for Gasol, if they still want to try and land him some how.

We could test Flynn and Thabeet for the year while we are in tank mode anyways. If they don't work out we dump them.. all we get back is NY's pick and cap space.

Alabi is thrown in since we have a max roster.. just give him to Houston for free for their troubles

Comment

The pick makes the price too much for Houston.

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
              could a deal for Calderon to the Knicks for landry fields involving a 3rd party be orchestrated somehow?
              Not unless the Knicks want to give up one of their stars. Everyone else is making pennies.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                The pick makes the price too much for Houston.
                Also with Kyle Lowry as my PG I'm looking to play him 35 minutes minimum. $10M is a pretty penny for a backup playing around 15 minutes per game. I don't think Lowry or Calderon could play SG.

Comment

Ya, I do want us to go near Harris with a 10 foot poll.

What about Calderon to Rockets for Dragic + late first rounder?

would that work? or would they have to offer more salary?

Edit: Well I guess even if it would work, it wouldn't make sense because of Lowry. I think Knicks would be the best fit because they don't really have someone to run the O properly... Not sure what they'd give back though.
                  Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sat Jan 28, 2012, 07:38 PM.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                    I don't understand all the trade talk about Calderon...the man has the best assist to turnover ratio in the league and a good five - 7 years left in the tank barring injury
                    35-37 year-old point guards are few and far between to put it mildly. Keep in mind that basketball is all about athleticism. Point guards usually go to pot around his age. The Raptors won't be winning for a few years, and they don't need to have a guy like that around to help them lose. He earns too much for the cap space the Raptors need going forward.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                      I hope Bayless isn't even on the roster next year.
                      ya he blows and hes not too good at basketball either.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...jose-calderon/ another article, this one in SLAM...
                        Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

Buschfire wrote: View Post
                          http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...jose-calderon/ another article, this one in SLAM...
                          But the source for the SLAM article is the original ESPN.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            But the source for the SLAM article is the original ESPN.
                            Agree, just rehashing the original quote from the Spanish language article two or three weeks ago. And in that one the reporter simply asked, "Would you like to have a chance at a championship/" or something along those lines. What's a player supposed to respond with? "No. I wish to be stuck in mediocrity the rest of my career?"

Comment

I think a number of people are off the mark here. If we trade Jose, we are likely getting back a shitty player (might be young if we are lucky .. but if so, dont think about him plugging into our lineup and being remotely useful in the near term .. and more likely a pretty useless older guy who doesnt see the court on a contender but has a year or two left on his deal at a little less than Jose .. think Luke Walton / Steve Blake) and a draft pick (likely late first round or 2nd round).
                              So - essentially the question is - would you trade Jose for what amounts to a late first rounder or early 2nd rounder and a little bit of cap space.
                              My answer? Still is a yes. The bottom line, Jose is NOT a part of our future. We considered amnestying him at the start of the year.
                              I realize hes played great and (when healthy) I think he can be an important part of a good team. BUT - he might have two more good years left in the league (and even then, he has his limitations .. especially defensively). Bottom line, if someone wants to give us anything of value for him .. its worth it.

Comment

Trading Calderon would be a GM trade, not a coach trade. Coaches still like a PG who runs the offence, moves the ball, gets lots of assists with a high assist/TO ratio.

I really like Calderon and his approach to the game.

Having said that, I think that a rebuilding team has to strongly consider moving a 30 year old PG at his salary. If they could get a mid to lower end first round pick, I think it has to be considered to improve their financial flexibility and perhaps hit the jackpot with a young player in the draft. I would be looking at teams that are below the elite, but still want a shot at the title. The Lakers come to mind. The finances of the deal would complicate matters, though. Perhaps the only way would be to try to participate in a three or four team trade. It seems unlikely that the Lakers are going to stand pat in the next several months.

Comment

Working...
                                X