Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbosa traded to Pacers for 2nd round pick (Official - post 155)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shantz wrote: View Post
    This trade takes Toronto under the league minimum in salary and opens up two roster spots. Considering these two elements this could just be a precursor to another move happening at some point today.

I'm not expecting anything major to happen for us the rest for the rest of the day, but I can't help but think there is at least something else in the works.
    what are the ramifications of being under the minimum? Do we have to get up to it today? By season's end? By next year?

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I believe the TPE disappears until they are over the cap, then it magically reappears. Having a $7.6M TPE could essentially allow the Raps to sign an additional free agent, so we won't be able to properly evaluate this Barbosa trade until we find out what happens with the extra 2nd round pick and the TPE... could wind up being 2 good players, plus a better lottery pick AND Barobosa could wind up re-signing here, meaning it was all acquired for nothing!
      Apollo wrote: View Post
      I'd like to see a source which backs this up because to me you're telling my you can have your cake and eat it too.

Reading Larry Coon's faq - the Raps have to renounce the TPE to sign free agents.
      https://webfiles.uci.edu/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm#Q20

If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question numbers 30, 31, 32, 33). A team can't act like they're under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to their team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.

So essentially the Raps would have to renounce the TPE if they want to sign a free agent with their cap space. Probably what Bryan would do.. if he doesn't go after a free agent he'll have a TPE for some nice sign & trades.

Comment

Extra ping pong balls, and another trade asset for the draft. Can't see BC keeping this pick.

The biggest story line looking forward is who plays his minutes!?

Comment

Also could this open the door for an Aaron Brooks offer sheet when he comes back?

Comment

IROR wrote: View Post
            Also could this open the door for an Aaron Brooks offer sheet when he comes back?
            they can't, he is a restricted free agent. The deadline was March 1 st

Comment

We always could move Bayless to Barbosa's spot, since he is not a point guard...kidding

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                Reading Larry Coon's faq - the Raps have to renounce the TPE to sign free agents.
                Yeah, and this is what made most sense to me: You can't have it both ways.

Comment

IROR wrote: View Post
                  Forgetting the fact I would become violently ill if that happened just like the Wilson Chandler situation, as a RFA the only team Brooks can sign with is Phoenix after March 1st.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

So essentially the Raps would have to renounce the TPE if they want to sign a free agent with their cap space. Probably what Bryan would do.. if he doesn't go after a free agent he'll have a TPE for some nice sign & trades.
                    Thanks for finding that. I knew I read it somewhere but couldn't remember what it was exactly.

That TPE could be very useful for sign and trade situations - VERY useful.

Comment

I'm hoping we can make a move for Bledsoe today! would two 2nd rounders get him?

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                        I'm hoping we can make a move for Bledsoe today! would two 2nd rounders get him?
                        All we get are rumours - but I've read that LAC is not interested in trading him. With Billups going down I think they want Bledsoe as depth/insurance.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                          Not even close.
                          Clippers love Bledsoe, and IF they do move him, it will likely be to get the SG they need.

Comment

John Hollinger just mentioned on his chat that NJ is dangling Houston's 1st round pick (top-14 protected), to any team who will take C Johan Petro ($3.25M this season & $3.5M next season). Given the fact that the Raptors now need to add salary and that Alabi ($0.83M) will likely be gone next season, I wonder if it would be worth it to give Petro the 3rd string C role next season, in order to potentially get another mid-1st round pick... I would have said a big "NO" yesterday, but suddenly adding that $3.5M for one year and a mid-1st round pick doesn't sound too bad...

I haven't heard any Toronto rumors, just me putting 1 + 1 together...

Comment

John Hollinger just mentioned on his chat that NJ is dangling Houston's 1st round pick (top-14 protected), to any team who will take C Johan Petro ($3.25M this season & $3.5M next season). Given the fact that the Raptors now need to add salary and that Alabi ($0.83M) will likely be gone next season, I wonder if it would be worth it to give Petro the 3rd string C role next season, in order to potentially get another mid-1st round pick... I would have said a big "NO" yesterday, but suddenly adding that $3.5M for one year and a mid-1st round pick doesn't sound too bad...

For sure I would make that deal. I'm not sure how much legs that rumour has, it's not very likely if we are only getting a 2nd rounder for Barbosa

Comment

I think that pick will be sent to Portland for Wallace and most likely Petro too.

Comment

Working...
                                X