Everything Terrence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
    Will someone please give Tross some adequate handles?
    Been a turnover machine lately.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      The Hawks put the ball in his hands late game so he shoots a lot of foul shots. We put it in Lowry or DD's hands

Either way, saying that Korver draws more fouls than Ross is wrong
      You're getting way too hung up on "fouls drawn". If the difference isn't just techs (which at 34, seems a bit high), than Korver actually draws more, just the extra ones he draws aren't counted as a stat on any site we frequent.

And the point is that Ross is completely awful at getting to the line.

Ross is just generally a very passive player. He does not do a good job asserting himself on either end.

Comment

• Last 18 games Korver 32 FT's (30/32)
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          Last 18 games Korver 32 FT's (30/32)
          There you go.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            You're getting way too hung up on "fouls drawn". If the difference isn't just techs (which at 34, seems a bit high), than Korver actually draws more, just the extra ones he draws aren't counted as a stat on any site we frequent.

And the point is that Ross is completely awful at getting to the line.

Ross is just generally a very passive player. He does not do a good job asserting himself on either end.
            So when you guys ask "how many fouls does a player draw"

You don't mean how many fouls does he draw

You mean how many FT's he shoots - regardless of the situation

I listed the stat for Shooting Fouls Drawn, which was more relevant to the initial post. You can choose to ignore it however

Comment

• TRoss gets too much criticism. 2Pats disappears too. It's the offence.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                TRoss gets too much criticism. 2Pats disappears too. It's the offence.
                Sure, blame the leagues best offence for ross just not giving a fuck
                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                  TRoss gets too much criticism. 2Pats disappears too. It's the offence.
                  Patterson is actually one of the most consistent player on the team.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                    Patterson is actually one of the most consistent player on the team.
                    He is consistent but has stretches were he gets 1-2 shots. Even accounting for being run off the perimeter that's too low. Casey does not manage the offence. Coaches usually run plays to involve guys who aren't getting enough looks. Seeing Ross get 6 shots 2Pats 3 JV 5 and GV 10+ Lou 10+ there is a problem. Every quarter there needs to be goals set for shots per player that makes sense

Comment

• If I were GM, I would trade Terrence Ross. Let's face it, he will limit his own potential because he doesn't have a killer instinct. He's soft - afraid to get bodied, afraid to go to the basket, afraid to accept contact and get to the free throw line, afraid of pressure / the limelight / prime time. You'd think in his third year he'd muster up some courage, but he still looks scared out there and crumbles under expectations. Why would you invest in that? He has great athletic potential, but I say move on and find another shooter with some guts - that's what we need for playoff basketball.

Comment

• CNinja26 wrote: View Post
                        If I were GM, I would trade Terrence Ross. Let's face it, he will limit his own potential because he doesn't have a killer instinct. He's soft - afraid to get bodied, afraid to go to the basket, afraid to accept contact and get to the free throw line, afraid of pressure / the limelight / prime time. You'd think in his third year he'd muster up some courage, but he still looks scared out there and crumbles under expectations. Why would you invest in that? He has great athletic potential, but I say move on and find another shooter with some guts - that's what we need for playoff basketball.
                        Why sell low. Just means hell be cheaper as an RFA

Comment

• CNinja26 wrote: View Post
                          If I were GM, I would trade Terrence Ross. Let's face it, he will limit his own potential because he doesn't have a killer instinct. He's soft - afraid to get bodied, afraid to go to the basket, afraid to accept contact and get to the free throw line, afraid of pressure / the limelight / prime time. You'd think in his third year he'd muster up some courage, but he still looks scared out there and crumbles under expectations. Why would you invest in that? He has great athletic potential, but I say move on and find another shooter with some guts - that's what we need for playoff basketball.
                          I agree, but if we do trade him, we need to either get back a 3/4 to replace him. The type of guys that may help there for us would be available in FA this summer. I'd rather hold out on him for now and see if we can pick up one of them in FA and then release Lou. At least Ross as a backup SG is better than nothing.
                          Axel wrote:
                          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                            .. At least Ross as a backup SG is better than nothing.
                            at the very least, this discussion has established Ross' value. We know he's "...better than nothing."

Comment

• Analyzing DD-Ross vs DD-less Ross

With DD coming back in the near future, and with us having a decent sample size to look at, I though I would kick off a conversation about Terrence Ross' performance.

First let's start with Ross' basic stats and a brief description of his role within the team with, and without DD (stats from NBA.com)

With DeMar

MPG = 25.9
                              PPG = 10.7
                              TS% = 57.2
                              3pt FG% = 41.9
                              3pt FGA = 4.6
                              APG = 1.0
                              RPG = 2.6
                              Ast% = 5.8
                              TO Ratio = 6.8
                              USG% = 17.4
                              ORAT = 111.4

Role: operated primarily out of set plays designed to get him open shots. Used at the end of the ball rotation to finish the play as a 3-point threat.

Without DeMar

MPG = 30.2
                              PPG = 12.7
                              TS% = 51.4
                              3pt FG% = 35.7
                              3pt FGA = 5.8
                              APG = 0.8
                              RPG = 4.2
                              Ast% = 3.7
                              TO Ratio = 8.7
                              USG% = 20.1
                              ORAT = 110.3

Role: less set play usage. Shot more off the bounce and drove a lot more. Was used similar to a role DD was in.

Analysis

Statistically, Ross hasn't been all that bad. He has seen a drop in efficiency with a rise in usage. As statistically suggested, this trend is expected. His rebound numbers are up but his passing is down. He also maintained a fairly good ORAT.

Overall on the surface, offensively he has been OK. Nothing more, nothing less.

Perception

Pre-DD Ross was a pleasure to watch. He was turning into a deadly three point shooter who had developed a nice little floater counter for those hard close outs. He was efficient (57 TS%), rarely took boneheaded shots, and generally stayed within a system, even if it meant disappearing for stretches. He looked like he was beginning to carve out a defined role for himself on the future of this team. And the future was bright for Ross, with his plug-into-any-lineup shooting ability and general off-ball threat bonus. He was swinging the ball very well too, and was second to Amir Johnson at being able to give JV the ball in the post quickly. I was happy, I was content.

Then DD went down, and I thought to myself, "what a great opportunity for the Raps to run teams off those beautiful pin down sets, like Korver and Allen!! Err Mah Gerd!". I had hoped he could become a killer player with the added usage, in that current scheme, at the efficiency at he was producing. There is also something great to be said about watching a player come off a screen, read the defense, head to the right spot on the three point line and elevate and swish-bomb a three over any defender. I was excited to see this run a lot more.

What actually happened was a different story, however.

Instead, Ross took a major step back. Not because he all of a sudden sucked at his role, but rather that his role had changed. Ross was a pleasure to watch, now, he is bordering on nightmarish.

Ross is now looking to drive, handle more (mostly excessively), and pass less. There are no more pin-down plays for Ross, there are no more screen usage plays. There are however; transition pull up threes, pull up threes off of the pick, drives into the paint after 3+ dribbles, reverse dribbles, looking off and clearing out for one-on-one plays. All the great attributes of J.R. Smith, and definitely not ones I like to see in a young player who was on a completely different path only weeks earlier.

I'm a big Ross fan. But damn, this new role, not surprisingly, fits him like a cheap suit. His main attributes that made him a budding, exciting player are gone, replaced by some fantasy world where we were watching Jeff Goldblum become the fly. Somewhere along the line while Ross was trying to telepod himself into the NBA role-player elite, got hideously transformed by a coach.

I'm ready for the DD-less Ross experience to end. Not because he has failed to produce that exciting basketball that I was looking for, and not because he has been less efficient. Hell, statistically he hasn't been bad. But man alive, this has been a nightmare, and this nightmare has to end.

PS: thought I would try actually writing something so don't go to harsh. Oh, and please, by all means give your thought on the Ross as a SG experiment. I wanna hear.

Comment

• Ross is shit.

Comment

Working...
                                X