Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the Block.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • On the Block.

    With everyone wanting to trade Bargnani and Calderon, whether it be their value low or high, regardless, what do you think Toronto can receive with Calderon + Bargnani on the block?

    What assets would we receive, why would we do it, and why would the trading partner do it?

    I personally feel, that Gasol being the 'odd man out' in L.A, Bargnani and Calderon may be really good fits there. Not to mention Pau is a better rebounder, and defender than Bargnani is. Bargnani would really stretch the defenses further for LA, and in D'antoni's system, D'antoni has always made good use of stretch 4s.

    Calderon not to mention is an upgrade over any of their point guards other than Nash of course.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

  • #2
    Bargnani is an enigma. No idea what other GM's think of him, or how well they believe Bryan's sales pitch. LA makes a lot of sense as you indicated but LA also thinks very highly of their own players. They swapped an often injured Bynum for arguably the 3rd best player in the league. LA likes to upgrade not downgrade. Neither Andrea or Jose are all-stars. I'm sure LA would want an all-star for Pau but who knows.

    There are many trade thread ideas for Bargnani in the thread forum. Take a look and you'll see the different ideas people came up with.

    With regards to Jose, he was on the block apparently all last summer, but he stayed with Toronto. Bryan was obviously looking at cap space and no one wanted to bite. He's an expiring contract that can help tax teams out (like Chicago, Memphis, and GSW). Chicago makes sense since Rose is out and have never payed luxury tax before. But other then Deng there is really no one on that team that I want, and I'm not sure Chicago would give up Deng who they love.

    I'd want a stud PF or SF in return for the two, but honestly the most I could see is a couple of mediocre players with 2 or 3 years left on their contract and possibly a 2nd rounder.

    Comment


    • #3
      planetmars wrote: View Post
      Bargnani is an enigma. No idea what other GM's think of him, or how well they believe Bryan's sales pitch. LA makes a lot of sense as you indicated but LA also thinks very highly of their own players. They swapped an often injured Bynum for arguably the 3rd best player in the league. LA likes to upgrade not downgrade. Neither Andrea or Jose are all-stars. I'm sure LA would want an all-star for Pau but who knows.

      There are many trade thread ideas for Bargnani in the thread forum. Take a look and you'll see the different ideas people came up with.

      With regards to Jose, he was on the block apparently all last summer, but he stayed with Toronto. Bryan was obviously looking at cap space and no one wanted to bite. He's an expiring contract that can help tax teams out (like Chicago, Memphis, and GSW). Chicago makes sense since Rose is out and have never payed luxury tax before. But other then Deng there is really no one on that team that I want, and I'm not sure Chicago would give up Deng who they love.

      I'd want a stud PF or SF in return for the two, but honestly the most I could see is a couple of mediocre players with 2 or 3 years left on their contract and possibly a 2nd rounder.
      I think with Bargnani + Calderon, this could probably net a very good asset, maybe not so much a stud, but a good asset. Although, it would have to be to teams willing to take in a big contract in Bargnani, but would love the 10$ mil cap relief at the end of the season.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

      Comment


      • #4
        http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cw9e58d

        BAM!
        Eh follow my TWITTER!

        Comment


        • #5
          RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          I think with Bargnani + Calderon, this could probably net a very good asset, maybe not so much a stud, but a good asset. Although, it would have to be to teams willing to take in a big contract in Bargnani, but would love the 10$ mil cap relief at the end of the season.
          Take a look at the following:
          http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s/players.html

          It lists all the NBA contracts. In a trade to meet the CBA requirements you can only offer a contract that matches up to or equal to 125% of the salary (+ $100,000).

          Which means that if you want to trade Andrea and Jose for one player the contract coming back has to be within the $26M-$17M range.

          So we are looking at a guy like Nowitski all the way to Bynum and any player in between. Unless if you want Amare or Boozer I don't see a guy on that list that we could realistically get.

          Of course we could also get a couple of guys that make less than Bynum as long as they total around $17M.

          Comment


          • #6
            With Bargnani, you're going to get back a $10 million player whose current team feels like he isn't performing. If you add Calderon into the mix, you'll get something more but then the salaries are so high that you're almost guaranteed to take back at least one bad contract. We saw that Barbosa's expiring was only worth a second round pick last year, so I wouldn't expect to much for Calderon. Plus, they've been trying to move Calderon since at least 2010 and haven't found a taker. Not sure this year is going to be much different.

            Comment


            • #7
              slaw wrote: View Post
              With Bargnani, you're going to get back a $10 million player whose current team feels like he isn't performing. If you add Calderon into the mix, you'll get something more but then the salaries are so high that you're almost guaranteed to take back at least one bad contract. We saw that Barbosa's expiring was only worth a second round pick last year, so I wouldn't expect to much for Calderon. Plus, they've been trying to move Calderon since at least 2010 and haven't found a taker. Not sure this year is going to be much different.
              That's because every GM in the league knows Calderons pathetic defense outweighs his assist to turnover ratio.
              It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

              Comment


              • #8
                i think this one is more realistic, we'd have to take years back on the salary and DW is currently in the doghouse with Ridnour bringing us some better defense at the point.

                http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ce3ctg7

                Comment


                • #9
                  Bargs
                  Calderon
                  Amir

                  for

                  Pau
                  Blake

                  http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7ncsefu

                  It says Raps lose 5 wins, LA gains 7.

                  ...I have a feeling that if I like the deal, it's bad for the Lakers.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
                    Bargs
                    Calderon
                    Amir

                    for

                    Pau
                    Blake

                    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7ncsefu

                    It says Raps lose 5 wins, LA gains 7.

                    ...I have a feeling that if I like the deal, it's bad for the Lakers.
                    Isn't it too much to send both Jose and Bargnani for such a big Gasol's contract, maybe one of them + Amir would be enough? If they want cap relief they could take Jose, and if they need shooter then Bargnani. It's little too much for them to get both, or not?
                    Last edited by japetas; Wed Nov 28th, 2012, 05:34 PM.
                    (Sorry for poor English )

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I would trade anyone for Bargnani. He's too painful to watch and he's gotta go regardless of how good he is to us offensively. We keep trying to build a team around him which is the repeated mistake that Colangelo keeps making and MLSE keeps enabling him to make. We need a real power forward who can rebound. If we have to sacrifice Jose in the deal so be it, as long as Bargnani is gone then this franchise can turn the page and really start fresh. Sacramento has Thomas Robinson on the bench, maybe we could offer them the allure of a 7ft 3pt shooter to clear the paint for cousins, and that gives us some muscle and heart in the paint between jonas and T. robinson. I know the numbers don't work out, but just food for thought. Another one which will spark a lot of controversy is Bargnani and Calderon for Amare Stoudemire. If Amare can play the way he was playing pre-Carmelo, then we have a beast in the paint. If he is still injured and playing slow, call it an even deal.

                      Side note, the game is changing, you don't need these big lugs for the PF and C positions anymore. You just need someone willing to rebound and play defense (Kenneth Faried aka Manimal!). this was a harsh reality we had to realize during the Philadelphia game when they killed us with their small ball and the biggest player they had out there was Thaddeus Young.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        japetas wrote: View Post
                        Isn't it too much to send both Jose and Bargnani for such a big Gasol's contract, maybe one of them + Amir would be enough? If they want cap relief they could take Jose, and if they need shooter then Bargnani. It's little too much for them to get both, or not?
                        Totally apart from salaries, this deal makes sense for the Lakers.

                        Starting 5, Kobe, Nash, Bargnani, Meta WP, Howard. Bargs and Howard would compliment eachother.

                        Not such a good fit, theoretically, for the Raps. However, Bargs has always been a "theoretical" good fit, and look where that's got us. Also, I'd rather get rid of Fields then Amir.

                        BTW, this thread has got me looking at Raps salaries. How depressing. Our two highest paid players are the reason we've been losing for all these years.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
                          Bargs
                          Calderon
                          Amir

                          for

                          Pau
                          Blake

                          http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7ncsefu

                          It says Raps lose 5 wins, LA gains 7.

                          ...I have a feeling that if I like the deal, it's bad for the Lakers.
                          god no. Terrible trade for the Raptors. What aspect of our team leads you to believe that we are in a "win now" situation? Because getting the player-formally-known-as Pau is pretty much the worst thing outside of Brandon Roy you could do to this team. Have you read about his knee issues and his general disinterest...and his AGE
                          Welp, that sucked.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            c_bcm wrote: View Post
                            god no. Terrible trade for the Raptors. What aspect of our team leads you to believe that we are in a "win now" situation? Because getting the player-formally-known-as Pau is pretty much the worst thing outside of Brandon Roy you could do to this team. Have you read about his knee issues and his general disinterest...and his AGE
                            We have no draft pick this year, so that is a "win now" factor. I just think that getting rid of Bargs is a priority, especially in terms of getting the fans off the ledge. Also, if you look at the Knicks, having proven veterans cannot be over-stated.

                            This team needs one fewer PF, thus freeing up time for Davis. This trade solves that problem. Plus, I have feeling Pau is just done with LA. He has pride and having Kobe scream at him for three years has to have taken its toll. Surely he has a few decent years left, and at worst he is an expiring contract around the time Lowry is up for an extension -- if the Raps want to go in that direction.

                            Blake sucks, but at least he plays D. So does Pau. They both fit more in the identity Casey wants to instill.

                            If we are going to be humiliated every night, I'd at least like Bargnani not to be a part of that.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Why in the world would the Lakers trade Pau for Bargs? What a massive step backwards.
                              @sweatpantsjer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X