SVG to Detroit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVG to Detroit?

Great hire. I believe he was also in the conversation for the GS job. Can't blame him for choosing Detroit over GS. I would pick Detroit over GS as well if i was him. There's something going on behind the scenes there in GS. Plus its so much easier to win in the East than in the West

Mamba Mentality

Think the president aspect is the clincher. Basically he'll get to do whatever he wants with the team on and off the court when he gets there.

Comment

$35M, 5 year deal

Comment

Andre Drummond is gonna get the Dwight Howard treatment like in ORL

4 shooters on the court with him at all times
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Damn. He was truly available.... and he went to the Pistons, of all places. WTF. And we re-signed Dwane Casey. *sigh*

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
            Damn. He was truly available.... and he went to the Pistons, of all places. WTF. And we re-signed Dwane Casey. *sigh*
            Well, was he available for us? Beating the Pistons offer would've basically meant Ujiri accepting a demotion. Was that really ever going to happen?

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              Well, was he available for us? Beating the Pistons offer would've basically meant Ujiri accepting a demotion. Was that really ever going to happen?
              IDK, couldn't Ujiri kick himself upstairs with a Colangelo type of title? That's TL's call anyway. And if SVG is the best man to take the team to the next level, then shouldn't Ujiri be a team guy and make room for him, like he is preaching to his players?

Comment

IDK, couldn't Ujiri kick himself upstairs with a Colangelo type of title? That's TL's call anyway. And if SVG is the best man to take the team to the next level, then shouldn't Ujiri be a team guy and make room for him, like he is preaching to his players?
                Well Ujiri is President and GM, meaning he gets final say in every decision...there's nowhere upstairs for him to go. SVG's offer in Detroit is to be President and Coach (as far as I know), meaning he gets final say in every decision. So Ujiri would have to take a demotion or be flat out fired for SVG to get what he wants. Would Ujiri accept that? Doubtful. Don't think it has anything to do with not being a team guy. And on the flip side, SVG clearly wants the "total control" situation, and won't want to have a symbolic title where he's a small voice in basketball operations.

Don't think there would be any easy solution to working something out where all parties are happy.

Detroit's a total mess and as much as this is a good move, especially in terms of coaching, it's also a wholly desperate move but one they are in the right position to make.

Comment

I can see Jennings and Smith as being very expensive bench warmers next season.

Comment

I know that Ujiri is a good GM, but there is no such thing as a GM so pure that he would fire/strip himself of all his powers.

And think about what you're saying. You're wishing that a coach and GM that just led the team to the best record in franchise history after one year of working together would replace themselves with a big name coach. Did you expect them to win the championship this year? I mean, come on. It's not like either of them shit the bed.

Van Gundy is a good coach, but obviously needed control beyond that, which was probably a big factor in him choosing Detroit. Joe Dumar has fucked up so many times he's probably happy to pass the buck onto somebody else.

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                      I know that Ujiri is a good GM, but there is no such thing as a GM so pure that he would fire/strip himself of all his powers.

And think about what you're saying. You're wishing that a coach and GM that just led the team to the best record in franchise history after one year of working together would replace themselves with a big name coach. Did you expect them to win the championship this year? I mean, come on. It's not like either of them shit the bed.

Van Gundy is a good coach, but obviously needed control beyond that, which was probably a big factor in him choosing Detroit. Joe Dumar has fucked up so many times he's probably happy to pass the buck onto somebody else.
                      Bryan your still mad that you got fired
                      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                        I can see Jennings and Smith as being very expensive bench warmers next season.
                        Since SVG said they have no intentions in resigning Greg Monroe, Josh Smith is gonna go back to the PF position where he is productive like he was in Atlanta
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                          Bryan your still mad that you got fired

I read where Bryan was sniffing around the Piston's job (Pres/GM). He also put together a group to buy the Bucks but obviously struck out there and is now angling for the GM position there. Not such a good spring so far for him.

Comment

Working...
                          X