Everything Bruno Caboclo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post
    People are impatient. Its already been said during the draft that Bruno was "2 years away from being 2 years away", everyone should know it was going to take him a couple of seasons before he is ready for real minutes. This was his 3rd season and he is coming along nicely.
    Let's just shift from "The Brazilian Durant" to "The Brazilian Giannis" and everything will be fine.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I think the reason why some were "down" on Bruno was bc of the "Durant" label and then seeing him look "lost" bc he had very little experience.
      In terms of draft value, Rodney hood was a few months shy of 22 when he was drafted. I'd say Bruno has the potential to produce in many of the same ways but with much more upside.
      To redraft 2014 now, Bruno probably looks like a more solid bubble 1st Rd guy, which is fine bc masai intended to take him in the mid 2nd and Ennis hasn't panned out so far. Of course, it was not the master stroke of GOAT GM Ainge taking James young at the 17th pick.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        Let's just shift from "The Brazilian Durant" to "The Brazilian Giannis" and everything will be fine.
        Incredibly, Durant and Giannis are pretty much on the same tier of NBA superstar. The "Brazilian Rashard Lewis" might be the right place to set our expectations to avoid massive disappointment.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
          I can see him being a smaller part of the rotation next year actually. Like I can see him getting Siakam level minutes.
          Sooo... like 38 starts and between 10-20 minutes for a lot of nights and upwards of 20 on some? Or are you meaning more post-Ibaka-trade Siakam minutes, where he'd get 2-8 minutes every few games? I could see the latter.

Comment

• dp

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              Incredibly, Durant and Giannis are pretty much on the same tier of NBA superstar. The "Brazilian Rashard Lewis" might be the right place to set our expectations to avoid massive disappointment.
              That would be approaching his ceiling imo bc Rashard was an all star. I think it's hard to comp Bruno bc he has equally positive outlier physical tools as much as he has a negative outlier lack of experience, which I think contributes to his IQ and confidence. The American kids are weened in AAU for as much as a decade before they get to NCAA. As much as we laud Stackhouse, he cut his teeth coaching kids in AAU as a proving ground and had connections to guys like Brandan Ingram. I dont know the stats but I'd guess that 90 something % of the AAU kids never play in the NBA and all of them are dedicated and varying degrees of good players. Based on that, I'm happy just to set Bruno's floor first, as hopefully a competent role player, and anything above that is gravy. There's always been a very real possibility that he never became more than Beaubois and thankfully he has eclipsed that threshold now, with plenty of time still on the clock.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                I love Giannis as much as the next guy, but he is not near Durant's level yet.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Durant is kind of a forgotten man now that he's one of the avengers. He's still the worlds 2nd best player IMO
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

It's a lot closer than you might think and I was surprised when I actually looked at Giannis' numbers, especially the advanced stats. The main difference is Durant's efficiency from 3. But Giannis actually has him beat in a lot of other categories - he had an amazing season.

http://bkref.com/tiny/NiQcu

Comment

• Coboclo is terrible.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                        Coboclo is terrible.
                        lol

Anyway, I think he'll get spot minutes next season. I'm also guessing he may be one of the rare players who will play better on the road rather than at home where Raptor fans have over-hyped him (though that will change one day - to either acceptance/normalcy or hate, it's up to how he plays - for most fans anyway, some will never think he's good enough)
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                          Coboclo is terrible.
                          Please be more specific: Are we talking "Demarre Carroll" seviceable-yet-still-more-terrible-than-you'd-think? "Charlie Villanueva" I'm-a-cool-NBA-player-who-will-learn-to-defend-eventually terrible? "Rudy Gay" I've-got-the-skills-so-why-are-teams-better-without-me terrible? "What remains of Peja Stojakovic" terrible? "DJ Augustin" terrible? "Hedo" terrible? "Eric Williams/Aaron Williams" terrible? "Joey Graham" terrible? (etc. etc.)

I'm perfectly fine with you not liking Caboclo, questioning the wisdom of the pick, and so on and so forth. But the Raptors have some pretty rigorous standards for true terribleness: Questionable shot selection. Lack of athletic ability. Bad habits. Selfishness. Uncoachability. Apathy. Disdain for the fan base.

I listed seven characteristics of some of the truly terrible players the Raptors have played. How many of these apply to Caboclo?

I am perfectly happy to admit that Caboclo is not really an NBA-level player yet (as evidenced by his getting many minutes in the D-league and few at the NBA level this year). But in my opinion it's not that he's terrible so much as it's that he's not good enough yet. And he may eventually be good enough (he's certainly been gradually improving with D-league minutes); I'm willing to wait and see.

Comment

• Well they did say 2 years from 2 years.

So I would think next year is make or break.

Comment

• Giannis is a problem. He was shooting 10/13 fga with Demarre mostly checking him and finished 13/18 fga with PJ on him.

Serge is probably our best option. I'd like to see Pat get some mins. Even norm over Demarre.

I know people are pretty divided about Bruno and he's not ready but defensively he might be ok at this point. If we get desperate in game #2 then it might be worth it to give Bruno a look for a few mins and see what happens. I'm curious based on the paper measurements:
                              Bruno 6'9 218lbs 7'7 WS
                              Giannis 6'11 222lbs 7'3 WS

The likely outcome is that Bruno gets torched but so did pj and Demarre thus far.

Delon/norm/Bruno/siakam/bebe
                              The 905 wingspan lineup.
                              😋

Comment

Except he isn't even remotely as quick/fast as Giannis, completely lacks his confidence and can't pass like him. It's an equally bad comparison.

On the other hand while Giannis isn't Durant because he doesn't have the same style of play he's actually VERY comparible to Lebron statistically at the same age. Scary thing is he's even taller n longer and just a single year older than Bruno and younger than Norm and Delon to keep it in perspective. I'm just praying that this series isn't the beginning of his breakthrough.

Comment

Working...
                                X