Everything Dwane Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tDotted wrote: View Post
    No. It's one thing to encourage DD/Lowry when they were shooting bad against great defenders. It's another to say you won't abuse a clear mismatch against a mediocre one on one defender. This isn't one of those situations where what Casey is saying won't match what happens. JV never gets consistent shot opportunities.. ever.
    It's actually a little more important then even that this series.

Not only is Whiteside not a good 1 on 1 post defender ... he gets frustrated easily. Feed JV. Put him in foul (and possibly technical) trouble. Doing this will open up the driving lanes for Lowry/DD/CoJo.
    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• I vaguely remember someone saying some nonsense about bad coaches are the ones that lose their shit on the sidelines.
      Last edited by ogi; Fri May 6, 2016, 01:40 AM. Reason: broken link

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
        Agreed. Meanwhile Lowry and DD continue to shoot 20+ FGA and shoot less than 40%.

Last game really annoyed me too. Ross was hot and instead of setting up plays and finding Ross open or setting screens to get him open, all I saw was Casey allowing the Raptors to dribble the ball up, pass it to Ross and chuck up a shot.
        Uhh I hate when Ross has it going and Casey's solution is literally 6 or 7 straight "let's ISO Ross" plays

Such bad coaching and it leads to some really bad habits. In the long-term it is very detrimental to a player's impact on winning

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          Uhh I hate when Ross has it going and Casey's solution is literally 6 or 7 straight "let's ISO Ross" plays

Such bad coaching and it leads to some really bad habits. In the long-term it is very detrimental to a player's impact on winning
          The offense, which was never pretty even with KL + DD shooting/scoring at season averages + parading to the line, looks absolutely horrendous now. So many plays where they don't really run anything. Hold the ball and look around. Sort of use a screen. Back out anyway. Dribble a bit. Look around some more. Drive into futility and heave a bad shot or shovel out a desperation pass with 3 seconds on the clock (a TO if trying to get it inside, a contested heave if it goes to the perimeter).

Seems to me the Raptors go late into the shot clock a lot without really doing anything at all in the first half of the clock. It's not like they run three straight sets then score on a good look on the third one with 2 seconds left. They literally just waste a lot of possessions doing nothing.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Why is everyone killing Casey for the end of regulation shot? I assume he didn't want Lowry taking a step back 3, he probably just called for a Lowry iso. Which is exactly what 95% of coaches would've done; Kemba Walker, Paul George, Wade, they'd all go iso. Especially since Lowry had hit his last 2. I also don't understand why everyone was saying we should shoot it early to try get an offensive rebound, according to the ESPN feed the Heat still had a timeout so that would've been a stupid risk.

Correct me if I'm wrong on either point.

Comment

• Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
              Why is everyone killing Casey for the end of regulation shot? I assume he didn't want Lowry taking a step back 3, he probably just called for a Lowry iso. Which is exactly what 95% of coaches would've done; Kemba Walker, Paul George, Wade, they'd all go iso. Especially since Lowry had hit his last 2. I also don't understand why everyone was saying we should shoot it early to try get an offensive rebound, according to the ESPN feed the Heat still had a timeout so that would've been a stupid risk.

Correct me if I'm wrong on either point.
              not wrong. lowry could have went a bit quicker and maybe had time to call for a screen but i think coach's main concern was to make sure there was no time left after our shot. it was the safe play.

in the end it was the right play because we won the game in overtime. of course people will explain to you, me and everyone exactly how they could/should have done it better and probably gotten 4 points to make sure we could just foul and then make it a free throw contest. but in reality the coach called the safe play and lowry made a move away from the basket and took a 40 footer.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                not wrong. lowry could have went a bit quicker and maybe had time to call for a screen but i think coach's main concern was to make sure there was no time left after our shot. it was the safe play.

in the end it was the right play because we won the game in overtime. of course people will explain to you, me and everyone exactly how they could/should have done it better and probably gotten 4 points to make sure we could just foul and then make it a free throw contest. but in reality the coach called the safe play and lowry made a move away from the basket and took a 40 footer.
                Considering how OT went in game 1, it was a bit surprising that we played it conservative.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Just because we won doesn't mean it was the right play.

We saw Spo flipping out on Deng for taking 3 secs to inbound a ball. We should have seen the same thing from Casey when Kyle was bringing the ball up the court as slowly as humanly possible. Kyle can be so dumb.

Comment

• I think Toronto fans need to stand up and run a #freejv campaign cause this could be his break out series as a star and teams haven't seen us run plays for him so the would be blind sided by it. We could make it to the finals if the entire fans base starts yelling at the top of their lungs to get him the ball.

I watched the game on espn and even the announcers were like why is Toronto not giving this kid the ball. Derozan is embarrassing himself really bad on the main stage, the whole world is now seeing casey bad coaching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
                      Just because we won doesn't mean it was the right play.

We saw Spo flipping out on Deng for taking 3 secs to inbound a ball. We should have seen the same thing from Casey when Kyle was bringing the ball up the court as slowly as humanly possible. Kyle can be so dumb.
                      I'm very close to 100% certain the play call from Casey was to run the clock out and take a last second shot, without risking an illegal screen or turnover giving the ball back. The right play is to get the ball up the floor, and run a simple pick and roll and try to get an open look for anyone at the buzzer.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        I'm very close to 100% certain the play call from Casey was to run the clock out and take a last second shot, without risking an illegal screen or turnover giving the ball back. The right play is to get the ball up the floor, and run a simple pick and roll and try to get an open look for anyone at the buzzer.
                        Some of you may not know this, but I've given Casey some flack over the years. In this case, however, I agree with him entirely. You have to completely minimize the risk of a turnover in that situation. Get the game into overtime with your home crowd behind you. And that's what they did. Good call by him.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          Some of you may not know this, but I've given Casey some flack over the years. In this case, however, I agree with him entirely. You have to completely minimize the risk of a turnover in that situation. Get the game into overtime with your home crowd behind you. And that's what they did. Good call by him.
                          Typically I would support playing for OT in that situation but after game one's OT you need to give yourself a better chance to win that one in regulation.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                            Typically I would support playing for OT in that situation but after game one's OT you need to give yourself a better chance to win that one in regulation.
                            Even given game 1's turd-drop, I always play for overtime on my home floor.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Whatever he decided at that stage of the game it was risky. They won so his answer was correct. It's that simple.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                Heat would most likely trap any pick and roll in that situation. Raps played it safe.
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X