No announcement yet.

Everything Dwane Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masai won't be even an honourable mention for EOY. His off season was quiet. Kept the same core and same coaching staff. Biggest moves were moving CoJo and Carroll and bringing back Miles who's just a role player.

And you don't win EOY for drafting a stud. It helps but need way more.. otherwise Utah's guy would get that for drafting Mitchell.

Morey will most likely win it. He got Paul and they have the #1 team in the NBA.

Ainge should get a few votes too for landing Kyrie and Hayward even though Hayward was out all year. Tatum was a good draft pick as well.

Before the season started you could see Presti getting a lot of consideration for the George trade. But OKC's been struggling recently. Team success also matters for this trophy.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      I think Casey should get it, but if he does win, then I think Masai should get EOY.
      It will probably be the Cavs GM for what they did in the trade deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
        It will probably be the Cavs GM for what they did in the trade deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Err no...he had to do that because the other crap they did before the season was horrible. He basically erased his earlier crap but the team is still not as good as it was last year
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Err no...he had to do that because the other crap they did before the season was horrible. He basically erased his earlier crap but the team is still not as good as it was last year
          I was going to disagree because the media loved the trades he made. However looking further it seems EOY is voted on by all 29 other executives in the league and not by the media. So guys with common sense.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            ...So (mostly) guys with common sense.
            Not everybody in that grouping has common sense :-)

Comment

Masai won't be even an honourable mention for EOY. His off season was quiet. Kept the same core and same coaching staff. Biggest moves were moving CoJo and Carroll and bringing back Miles who's just a role player.

And you don't win EOY for drafting a stud. It helps but need way more.. otherwise Utah's guy would get that for drafting Mitchell.

Morey will most likely win it. He got Paul and they have the #1 team in the NBA.

Ainge should get a few votes too for landing Kyrie and Hayward even though Hayward was out all year. Tatum was a good draft pick as well.

Before the season started you could see Presti getting a lot of consideration for the George trade. But OKC's been struggling recently. Team success also matters for this trophy.
              This could end up biting Ainge in the ass. Kyrie is looking like one of those "perpetually injured" types.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                You mean if he doesn't win?

I think Exec of the year is tough to give to Masai, because most of his moves to build the team happened prior to this year. Which is unfair but it's kind of how the award works. OG was a great pick but was mostly other GMs being dumb and letting him slip to us, and Miles was a solid signing. But that's basically it.
                Yeah, the executive of the year award is kind of flawed in that your off-season moves have to pay off in the same season that you made them. That's not how franchise building always works.

But Masai's "culture reset" rant has got to be rewarded with something - it's the single most important thing that happened in the off-season. I suppose he can settle for the chip as a consolation prize.

Comment

Masai won't be even an honourable mention for EOY. His off season was quiet. Kept the same core and same coaching staff. Biggest moves were moving CoJo and Carroll and bringing back Miles who's just a role player.

EOY and COY are both a bit weird in that they're usually actually most improved awards. Sustained excellence doesn't get rewarded, neither does a "quiet" offseason like Masai's which in hindsight was absolutely brilliant. Bryan Colangeloing half your roster every offseason isn't that big of a deal imho, the year-over-year strategy for sustained improvement and development that Masai has managed is much, much more rare of a feat in a league where management turnover is so high.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Ringer staff votes dwane Casey as coach of the year, but got less than 50% of total votes

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/4...a-awards-picks

Comment

Ringer staff votes dwane Casey as coach of the year, but got less than 50% of total votes

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/4...a-awards-picks
                      Can't really object too much with how the guys voted. I would personally give the COY award to Stevens but it's really close. Trying to be objective on this one as much as I can. What Casey has done is really remarkable. But what Steven's has done is even more remarkable.

Comment

• Lots of good candidates for COY. Brett Brown and Quin Snyder definitely surpassed expectations.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          Lots of good candidates for COY. Brett Brown and Quin Snyder definitely surpassed expectations.
                          Brett Brown is a good coach but I don't have him in my top 5 COY.

Everybody was trusting the process as long as a couple of these guys turned out. There was some big ifs but those were largely dependent on the players. IF Simmons was a triple double ball handling dynamo, and IF embiid stayed mostly healthy and continued dominating they'd be a very good eastern conference team. And voila

Comment

• I think the guy giving it to Pop over so many other deserving candidates is a bit ridiculous. He dismisses Casey's work with putting together the bench ("that's Ujiri's job"), but then turns around and gives credit to Popovitch for a roster that includes many similarly well-performing youngsters like Murray, Anderson, Forbes playing significant roles. Why not the same standard? Wasn't that Buford's job? He can't make any good argument for Pop over Stevens either, beyond the Spurs having a point differential 'on par' with the Celtics (never mind the fact that the Celts' point differential is actually quite mediocre and nothing to be proud of matching, or that the Spurs' actual record is far weaker than the Celtics).

No problem with having Popovich in a top 5 list, but over all three of Casey, Snyder and Stevens? That's just fanboyish.

Comment

Everybody was trusting the process as long as a couple of these guys turned out. There was some big ifs but those were largely dependent on the players. IF Simmons was a triple double ball handling dynamo, and IF embiid stayed mostly healthy and continued dominating they'd be a very good eastern conference team. And voila
                              See, I told you tanking works

Comment

Brown has done an incredible job putting in robust systems. 4th best defense in the league and 2nd most assists per 100 possessions is why they've won 15 straight mostly without Embiid.

My top 5 would be Stevens, Casey, Brown, Snyder, D'Antoni. McMillan just on the edge.

Comment

Working...
                                X