#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post
    Performance over a 4 year period? you mean?

Year 1 - 23 wins
    Year 2 - 34 wins
    Year 3 - 48 wins
    Year 4 - ?
    Are we allowed to point out how much better the rosters have been, or how much weaker the EC has been, over those same 4 seasons?

Of course DC deserves some credit for the team's improvement, growth and success. Without a doubt.

The question is whether DC has maximized what the roster is capable of, or if his own coaching strategies and decisions have prevented this team from reaching even greater heights.

It's obviously a subjective discussion, but to present year-over-year results without context or attributing the results to any other factor other than DC, seems like a bit of a straw-man argument.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      See Larry Drew and Mike Woodson for how incremental improvements like that mean jack shit. They both did the same thing in ATL and have since proven themselves terrible coaches. Incremental improvements like that are usually due to players getting better over time, and have very little to do with coaching. e.g. They coached the same shitty way each year but the team improved despite their best efforts.
      Year 3 8 teams finished under .500 in a 15 team conference with 5 winning less than 30. Its almost impossible to finish under .500 unless the team actively tanks.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
        Casey supporters. There really is any argument not to replace him and it is not even related to the recent slide but his performance over a four year period.
        For the most part (other than first year) I have always thought DC to be a placeholder coach. The team did not need a frontline/playoff proven coach at the time and he did the job curing the team's defensive ills. Imo his main flaws are that he doesnt do in-game management or adjustments/matchup very well (I shall give that he may not have the optimum personnel sometimes...but glaring subs like GV to guard Tyreke for the game winner is boggling). Anyway, as most know even real good coaches have a shelf life and mostly results from the team stopping listening. If this is what is happening (and MU should know) or there is negative dynamic within the team among some players which he cannot straighten out....these are other factors apart from his thin xs & os portfolio which makes his position untenable.

On the plus side he is really good with the media, never throws his players under the bus publicly, supports his gms publicly/good pol. and until recently I have always felt the players played for him and sacrificed their mins./rolesfor the team. I am not too sure about this now. I would give him another 2-3 weeks with DD coming back and reintegrating with the team to see if that has been the real source of the fall-off. This will also show something about MU's skills as a frontline gm by his actions.

Comment

• Someone answer my question. Why are we firing the only head coach to make this group of players play defensive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
            Someone answer my question. Why are we firing the only head coach to make this group of players play defensive?

Because they are in the bottom half now with the best defense being 12th out of 30 in 4 years.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
              Because they are in the bottom half now with the best defense being 12th out of 30 in 4 years.
              I think he is doing the best job with the players we have cause NONE of them play defense. NONE of them are smart players

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                Someone answer my question. Why are we firing the only head coach to make this group of players play defensive?

Most people consider JV to be franchise cornerstone and future. Casey's defense is too hard for JV to learn and execute. So they pick JV and hope Masai will find a coach who can create a system where JV is hidden.
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                  Were you thinking Bill O'Reilly (Fox News)?
                  Bill Maher, maybe. Same coin, two sides - although at least Bill Maher is funny. Both guys know exactly what they're doing, though.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    Most people consider JV to be franchise cornerstone and future. Casey's defense is too hard for JV to learn and execute. So they pick JV and hope Masai will find a coach who can create a system where JV is hidden.
                    If given a choice between Casey and JV, I'd choose JV 10/10. You don't let go of a player like JV for a coach like Casey.
                    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

So it's all about JV eh? so this is what's it all about! why y'all want Casey fired. Hilarious. I knew it lol! I think JV is doing just fine, problem is the expectations on him here by some people are insanely high. I mean, a franchise cornerstone? wow.

I probably have disturbed the Valley of Valanciunas. I''ll read all the comments later. Should be fun!
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Oh come on, seriously? JV's biggest weakness is getting caught in no man's land, between the guard barreling down the key and his man, inevitably leaving one of them open for an easy bucket. The biggest failure is that that's exactly how the defensive scheme is intended to operate! Either somebody blew a cover and/or JV has to hope somebody rotates quickly enough to cover his man, to avoid a gimmee dunk.

JV has much improving to do, but he's done nothing to give the impression that he doesn't have the skill, potential, work ethic or desire to get there. He's a young kid who's already a decent man defender, an above-average rebounder (with improving box-out skills at both ends of the court), and he blocks/alters quite a few shots each game (off both man and help coverage).

Support DC if you want, but throwing JV under the bus to do so is exactly the type of crap that fuels the BS rebuttal that it's only the "JV fanboys" that want DC gone. Come on, you're better than that.
                        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jan 21, 2015, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Haha that's funny: "Most people consider JV to be franchise cornerstone and future"

Most people consider Jonas to be solid player who will help us get our 1st ring!

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                            Bill Maher, maybe. Same coin, two sides - although at least Bill Maher is funny. Both guys know exactly what they're doing, though.
                            Maher is also self-deprecating and he gives his audience the distinct feel that even he doesnt believe a lot of what he is saying ...the emphasis being the jocularity. There are of course some serious subjects. Bill O. though has a serious air of conviction in what he spouts/preaches. I agree they both are well aware that their schticks work for them.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              Oh come on, seriously? JV's biggest weakness is getting caught in no man's land, between the guard barreling down the key and his man, inevitably leaving one of them open for an easy bucket. The biggest failure is that that's exactly how the defensive scheme is intended to operate! Either somebody blew a cover and/or JV has to hope somebody rotates quickly enough to cover his man, to avoid a gimmee dunk.

JV has much improving to do, but he's done nothing to give the impression that he doesn't have the skill, potential, work ethic or desire to get there. He's a young kid who's already a decent man defender, an above-average rebounder (with improving box-out skills at both ends of the court), and he blocks/alters quite a few shots each game (off both man and help coverage).

Support DC if you want, but throwing JV under the bus is exactly the type of crap that fuels the BS rebuttal that it's only the "JV fanboys" that want DC gone. Come on, you're better than that.
                              I don't care about DC. Coaches change all the time. I'm not exactly biggest JV fan either.
                              This defensive system doesn't fit JV and I think many people agree on that. Guards can't contain penetration and it leaves JV where he guards two people. Raptors need perimeter defense and defenders that won't allow penetration so JV doesn't have to defend too many drives and contest them. One on One he's decent.

I think more conservative defensive system would be better than current aggressive defense.
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I don't care about DC. Coaches change all the time. I'm not exactly biggest JV fan either.
                                This defensive system doesn't fit JV and I think many people agree on that. Guards can't contain penetration and it leaves JV where he guards two people. Raptors need perimeter defense and defenders that won't allow penetration so JV doesn't have to defend too many drives and contest them. One on One he's decent.

I think more conservative defensive would be better than current aggressive defense.
                                This defensive system doesn't fit the modern NBA. The goal is to take the ball out of the scorers hands. It worked against the 2011 Cavs because without Lebron with the ball the team was terrible. Teams have big threes because its too easy to stop ISO teams with one threat. Watch how the Spurs destroyed the Heat defense. Pressure D doesntbwork, Perimeter ISO doesn't work.

Comment

Working...
                                X