#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw a great analogy on the main page comments:

I truly believe that Casey is a lot like a race car engineer. He's pretty good behind the scenes and could probably design a nice vehicle when you give him enough time. But just don't put him behind the wheel during a race. The speed of the game is just too fast for him to make good decisions on the fly.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      I had no issue with it early on in the season if they wanted to experiment with different combos, felt Siakam had earned a shot and wanted Patterson off the bench. But going back to it now makes little sense. Siakam should not be seeing extended minutes.
      Siakam ... honestly shouldn't be seeing any minutes. Even with Patterson out, roll either Bebe or Poetl at the four.
      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Remember this BS quote from Casey, the one that was him "calling out" JV?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ring-explosion

What a load of bull. JV scored 10 points on 4 shots in the 3rd Q, with an assist and 3 rebounds in 10 minutes, and no turnovers, and didn't play in the 4th until the last possession. That 3rd Q performance translates to per 36 averages of 35 points (on 100% shooting), 3 assists, 10 rebounds. How much more dominant could he possibly be?

The Siakam starting lineup was a disaster in that Q, good for -11 in 6 minutes, but the following 4 minutes of JV's play were with BeBe or Poeltl beside him and the Raps were +7 in that time.

There is no logic to it. Madness.
        Even at the time, that quote was bullsh*t. This game just makes it even more apparent for the ones who didn't see it as such.

There was no defense for sitting JV in the fourth when he was great for the first two quarters and dominant in the third. There was no reason to put Powell in there cold (could have and should have just slotted Ross in there). Siakam honestly shouldn't be seeing minutes unless every other big is in foul trouble or fouled out.

We're honestly throwing games away.
        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
          Even at the time, that quote was bullsh*t. This game just makes it even more apparent for the ones who didn't see it as such.

There was no defense for sitting JV in the fourth when he was great for the first two quarters and dominant in the third. There was no reason to put Powell in there cold (could have and should have just slotted Ross in there). Siakam honestly shouldn't be seeing minutes unless every other big is in foul trouble or fouled out.

We're honestly throwing games away.
          What I don't understand is, if powell is better than Ross in the 4th, why isn't powell in all game? Or if ross is better, then why isn't he closing? How can one be the first wing off the bench and the other out of rotation until 4th quarter when he becomes closer? Makes zero sense
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
            What I don't understand is, if powell is better than Ross in the 4th, why isn't powell in all game? Or if ross is better, then why isn't he closing? How can one be the first wing off the bench and the other out of rotation until 4th quarter when he becomes closer? Makes zero sense
            It makes no sense no matter how you slice it.

Unless Ross was hurt.
            Last edited by Just Is; Thu Feb 9, 2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Carroll=starter. Ross=middle relief. Powell=closer.

Comment

It makes sense in that they want both players to see minutes, rather than one over the other. With Lowry/DD playing big minutes, Carroll entrenched at the SF spot and Joseph playing 20 minutes, the balance of the perimeter minutes needs to be split if you want both guys seeing the floor.

Ross is inconsistent and streaky but when he's on he's a big weapon. I suppose the idea is run him out there first and see if he's got it that night, if not, go to Powell.

I don't disagree that they might be better off running with one guy over the other but, at the same time, it isn't without reason and 'senseless'. There is a rational, debatable as it may be.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                  Carroll=starter. Ross=middle relief. Powell=closer.
                  Yup.

Casey CLEARLY trusts Powell. And i have a feeling that he'd rather have Powell than Carroll. But he doesn't want to upset Carroll, their "prized" FA signing last year, doesn't want to upset the chemistry in the lockerroom. But how he's using Powell is so unfair. You just can't sit the guy for the first 40 mins of the game and then bring him in the 4th and ask him to make shots and guard the opposing trams best perimeter player.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                    It makes sense in that they want both players to see minutes, rather than one over the other. With Lowry/DD playing big minutes, Carroll entrenched at the SF spot and Joseph playing 20 minutes, the balance of the perimeter minutes needs to be split if you want both guys seeing the floor.

Ross is inconsistent and streaky but when he's on he's a big weapon. I suppose the idea is run him out there first and see if he's got it that night, if not, go to Powell.

I don't disagree that they might be better off running with one guy over the other but, at the same time, it isn't without reason and 'senseless'. There is a rational, debatable as it may be.
                    Yeah, it looks generally situational with one key being how well Ross plays (he's just as likely to get benched early for a mistake as he is to play heavy minutes the remainder of the game) but it's also situational - Carroll, Ross, and Powell actually match up against different guys. Ross is probably the most versatile, Carroll's best against bigger SF's and Powell, as much heart and hustle as he has, sometimes really is too small for a big/tall SF and he's also not quick enough for a speedy PG or small SG - CoJo gets those assignments. Powell's a bit of a tweener in general but also relative to other guys on the roster.

And yeah, the long view. They value each of these guys, Ross/CoJo/Powell are all still developing in one way or the other and the team has them working on things and wants them to get minutes and get certain assignments. They also know to be really successful they have to, one way or another, get Atlanta Carroll back (if that's possible). Some in-game decisions are for the sake of the long-term.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I really hoped that Casey has gotten past these rotational bouts of insanity after his improvements in the playoffs but he has clearly regressed and the team has suffered as a result.

Can he turn it around before the playoffs? Hopefully but I have my doubts. If we roll into the postseason with these types of mistakes on a nightly basis, our playoff run will be Mugsey Bogues short.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                        Look, i've been defending DC since day one but i'm starting to think that it might be time for a coaching change after this season. If the Raps keeps playing like this, they'll finish 4th maybe rven 5th. The Raps are.too good to finish 4th in the East.

It really feels like 14-15 all over again. That year they just completely copletely collapsed. I think it all.started in January just like this season.
                        Why do we need to wait until the end of the season? We have a good roster. We should make the change now so that we don't have a lost season. I think we could salvage an ECF and some valuable experience / hopefully some lessons from this year. Heck if we can reach the ECF and also finally come to the realization that DC isn't the answer I'd consider this year a success. Heaven forbid we actually develop JV as a 3rd option. I'd be popping champagne.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                          Yup.

Casey CLEARLY trusts Powell. And i have a feeling that he'd rather have Powell than Carroll. But he doesn't want to upset Carroll, their "prized" FA signing last year, doesn't want to upset the chemistry in the lockerroom. But how he's using Powell is so unfair. You just can't sit the guy for the first 40 mins of the game and then bring him in the 4th and ask him to make shots and guard the opposing trams best perimeter player.
                          That type of reasoning is so dumb. You want minutes? Work for it, I don't care how upset you get, ESPECIALLY if you're not a star player. If the players gets upset, continues to complain and it affects the lockerroom, then trade his ass. Luckily for Carroll, he doesn't seem like the type to do any of that.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                            That type of reasoning is so dumb. You want minutes? Work for it, I don't care how upset you get, ESPECIALLY if you're not a star player. If the players gets upset, continues to complain and it affects the lockerroom, then trade his ass. Luckily for Carroll, he doesn't seem like the type to do any of that.
                            Agreed...and to top it off he is admitted role player.

If you're Casey or management you put the buck back on him and ask him if he's a team player and he cares more about the team's success than his own. To do that you don't even need to do so directly. Simply start Powell, guess what will happen?! The media will ask why and that's your reply, that we're not worried about individual successes we're concerned about the team's success....

Immediately Carroll would now be put in a corner for him to say anything otherwise would just destroy his own reputation. He would be forced to earn his minutes which could possibly slightly improve his play (although I don't think it's motivation but rather physical limitation) and our team is all the better for it. Do likewise with Corey, both of these guys have been buried at the end of the bench before in their careers. Preaching team results over individual egos and although I don't think it solves everything because we sorely lack a strong post defender, it will change a helluva lot to not have Corey dribble the air out of the ball and DeMarre whip up bricks/airballs while allowing wide open shot after wide open shot.

Call the next damn Open Gym #SACRAFICE and keep it moving!

Comment

• Casey has cost the Raptors at least three wins in the last nine games with his screwed up rotations. Be glad to see him gone.

Comment

• Keep dreaming guys.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X