Everything Bismack Biyombo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit wrote: View Post
    I think he has the tools, the talent, and the mind to become elite (or at least borderline) defensively, not in any single measurable category but from overall impact. When he steps on the floor I expect to see a significant increase in our team defensive ratings. From what I've watched of him last year and the way he's been developing I expect to see this happen.

But yea, definitely not a star, and the Ben Wallace comps are a little early.

In my mind, the "impact role player/dominate defensively off the bench" are two ways to say the same thing. He isn't going to dominate a game like DJ is, but he should be able to impact the game by raising our defense to elite levels in 6 minute spurts. That is my hope and expectations for this year.
    I agree with the bold, so I guess my point is more directed at others who are painting him as more than that.

The Ben Wallace comps are more than "a little" early lol.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      Bismack is an elite shot blocker. He ranks 4th in the NBA in BLK%. That's the bulk of his defense though, he's not elite at anything else defensively (for instance, he has an incredibly low STL%, even for a Center, and a below average DRB% for a center).

The Raptors have been starved for an elite shot blocker so Biz is a great fit. I do think he can have 20 major impact games when we're playing teams that run most of their offense close to the basket. He'll still always be limited minutes wise due to JV and not being any good on offense.
      His Blk% last year was 6.3% or 4.1 Block per 100 possessions while playing 19 MPG.

Kendrick Perkins had nearly identical numbers in 2005/2006 (his 3rd season).

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• This what I mean by dominating the defensive side

https://youtu.be/zWI4mrYqwFA
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          His Blk% last year was 6.3% or 4.1 Block per 100 possessions while playing 19 MPG.

Kendrick Perkins had nearly identical numbers in 2005/2006 (his 3rd season).
          So? That 6.3% is the 4th best mark in the NBA last year. That's elite, not sure how you could argue otherwise. Why bring up Perk's best year?

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            This what I mean by dominating the defensive side

https://youtu.be/zWI4mrYqwFA
            Ah yes, blocks against the Raptors featuring Aaron Gray!!! HOF

Comment

So? That 6.3% is the 4th best mark in the NBA last year. That's elite, not sure how you could argue otherwise. Why bring up Perk's best year?
              Well no one ever called Perk an elite shot blocker, despite the same statistical out-put. Seems relevant to me.

Comment

Well no one ever called Perk an elite shot blocker, despite the same statistical out-put. Seems relevant to me.
                Do you watch the games or just check the stats after?
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Because that season was an extreme outlier from the rest of his career. But he was an elite shotblocker in 05/06 and I doubt any of us remember what they were calling Perk then.

Comment

lol

Comment

Because that season was an extreme outlier from the rest of his career. But he was an elite shotblocker in 05/06 and I doubt any of us remember what they were calling Perk then.
                      Ok, career guys in his range of 5.8%.

Greg Steimsma runs 8.5%, 5.8%, 4.7% in his first 3 years before coming to Toronto; career 6.0%
                      Joel Anthony, between 5.0% and 9.5%; career 6.0%
                      Darko has career 5.5%.

Any of these guys considered "dominant" defensive guys? No, they are bit players for certain roles. Biyombo is a role player and it's tiring to hear him being praised as a sort of saviour on Defence.

Comment

Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ball-d...-nba.html?nf=1

Comment

Ah yes, blocks against the Raptors featuring Aaron Gray!!! HOF
                          How many Raptors do you remember having a 7 block game in the last decade?
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

How many Raptors do you remember having a 7 block game in the last decade?
                            Amir Johnson did it in 2011 vs New Orleans.

Jermaine O'Neal had 9 vs the Lakers in 2009.

200 NBA players have had 7+ blocks in a game in the last 10 years; it's not that uncommon.

Comment

• Blocks are the most overrated skill in the NBA. Not sure if Biz offers the scary rim protection to go with the blocks. Howard and Jordan also intimidates guys. Hibbert does too and he isn't a shot blocker

Comment

Ok, career guys in his range of 5.8%.

Greg Steimsma runs 8.5%, 5.8%, 4.7% in his first 3 years before coming to Toronto; career 6.0%
                                Joel Anthony, between 5.0% and 9.5%; career 6.0%
                                Darko has career 5.5%.

Any of these guys considered "dominant" defensive guys? No, they are bit players for certain roles. Biyombo is a role player and it's tiring to hear him being praised as a sort of saviour on Defence.
                                You've watched all those guys play. If your a PG who are more worried about blocking your shoot?
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X