Everything OG Anunoby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    We had a below average clutch rating and lost a lot of close games (more than you'd expect with our overall record) - except when JV played. They were 7-7 in close games JV didn't close. 16-11 in games he did. Had a -9 clutch net rating without JV, and a +3 clutch net rating with JV.

Against opposing bench units, you can generally get away with poor rebounding because bench scorers are less efficient (generally) so it doesn't kill you giving up extra chances (and our bench was dominant offensively and defensively, which makes up for a lot on the boards). Give Steph or Harden or LeBron extra shots and you will suffer for it.
    C'mon Dan, don't do things halfway here (kidding)....which teams did we face when we went 7-7 with JV off and which ones did we face when we went 16-11 with JV on. You would know better than I that match-up's matter.

Completely agree that you don't want to give extra shots to top teams, but we also know that it's those top teams that play small ball (successfully) so they can exploit bigs like JV on defence. We have to look at both sides of the coin here and figure what is the lesser of the two evils. It's going to be interesting this year because unlike in the past we have players around JV that can perhaps allow for him to remain on the court during crunch time.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      Right, but Siakam hasn't shown a high level of physicality and can't shoot (hopefully the latter improves). So he won't help spread your offence (ie pull a big away from the rim) or be able to match a big body down low all that well.

So it can still only be very situational while all that is true.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      Yeah, I'm counting on him being improved in both regards. But in any case he's still a 'big'.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
        Yeah, I'm counting on him being improved in both regards. But in any case he's still a 'big'.
        I'd say he's more a tweener forward than a big.

Frankly I have more faith in OG developing better physicality. He is built thick, whereas Siakam is wiry. If we're going to compare to GSW, OG looks like he has more chance of playing the Draymond role defensively and guarding a strong post player.

Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Aug 16, 2018, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I'd say he's more a tweener forward than a big.

Frankly I have more faith in OG developing better physicality. He is built thick, whereas Siakam is wiry. If we're going to compare to GSW, OG looks like he has more chance of playing the Draymond role defensively and guarding a strong post player.

If he's a tweener forward then so is Diaw, who actually used to play the 3, lbs overweight notwithstanding.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
            C'mon Dan, don't do things halfway here (kidding)....which teams did we face when we went 7-7 with JV off and which ones did we face when we went 16-11 with JV on. You would know better than I that match-up's matter.

Completely agree that you don't want to give extra shots to top teams, but we also know that it's those top teams that play small ball (successfully) so they can exploit bigs like JV on defence. We have to look at both sides of the coin here and figure what is the lesser of the two evils. It's going to be interesting this year because unlike in the past we have players around JV that can perhaps allow for him to remain on the court during crunch time.
            You are welcome to figure the matchups out in depth.

Lost both clutch games against Golden State by benching JV. Won the clutch game against HOU playing him. I'm not saying doing the opposite in either case would have led to a different result. I'm just saying what we did, worked in one case and not in the other.

We absolutely should be looking at both sides of the coin. That's what I'm advocating for. JV hurts the defence, almost certainly. He also almost certainly helps the offence and with rebounding. My point is that JV playing is the lesser of two evils - almost always. Definitely when facing most teams. And most of the time when facing small ball teams, too.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Lost both clutch games against Golden State by benching JV. Won the clutch game against HOU playing him. I'm not saying doing the opposite in either case would have led to a different result. I'm just saying what we did, worked in one case and not in the other.

We absolutely should be looking at both sides of the coin. That's what I'm advocating for. JV hurts the defence, almost certainly. He also almost certainly helps the offence and with rebounding. My point is that JV playing is the lesser of two evils - almost always. Definitely when facing most teams. And most of the time when facing small ball teams, too.
              Hopefully Nurse will have less of a blanket reactive strategy.

That was a big part of Casey's problem. He would almost always make the horribly obvious reactive decision, and if it didn't work would throw incredibly random shit out there (that's how guys like Brown and Bebe got on the court when they shouldn't have). No feel for when he shouldn't match up, and yeah, limited in his ability to get creative in a way that didn't reek of desperation.

Comment

Huh?

All I will say is that I hope Nurse gives JV a chance to play consistently during the 4th quarter this season because if JV can be on the court without being a liability on defence then Raptors are the second best team in the league.

Comment

Huh?

All I will say is that I hope Nurse gives JV a chance to play consistently during the 4th quarter this season because if JV can be on the court without being a liability on defence then Raptors are the second best team in the league.
                  I'm saying when they went small they lost, and when they didn't go small they won. And followed up with: I don't know that going big would have won them the GSW game, and I don't know that going small would have lost them the HOU game, but what they tried against GSW didn't work and what they tried against HOU did.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I'm saying when they went small they lost, and when they didn't go small they won. And followed up with: I don't know that going big would have won them the GSW game, and I don't know that going small would have lost them the HOU game, but what they tried against GSW didn't work and what they tried against HOU did.
                    Let's just hope that Nurse gives JV a shot in the 4th of close games. There won't be as much penetration by other teams, but his PNR defence will get tested. It's a big bonus if he can stay on the court.

Comment

Let's just hope that Nurse gives JV a shot in the 4th of close games. There won't be as much penetration by other teams, but his PNR defence will get tested. It's a big bonus if he can stay on the court.
                      Yo BonusJonas --- think you just got Beetlejuiced.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                        Yo BonusJonas --- think you just got Beetlejuiced.

Lmao I don’t know what beetlejuiced means but this gif always gets me

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                          Lmao I don’t know what beetlejuiced means but this gif always gets me
                          ... ie., when someone says your name to summon you, à-la the popular 1990's film/cartoon, Beetlejuice.

(And look! -- here you are, Bonus Jonas. It worked )

Comment

... ie., when someone says your name to summon you, à-la the popular 1990's film/cartoon, Beetlejuice.

🤯🤯🤯

Comment

• OG is no slouch in the large hands department. Or maybe Delon has extremely small hands.

Is this another reason to call OG Kawhi Lite?

Comment

It's been so long since I saw Beetlejuice, that I didn't realize Alec Baldwin was in it 😲

Comment

Working...
                                X