Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Last night, who was it?
    Don't say Scottie coz he obviously is not supposed to be it.
    Already addressed that in the game thread. For POA, it should've been: Dennis on Garland. OG on Mitchell. Scottie (or Pascal) on Strus.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Already addressed that in the game thread. For POA, it should've been: Dennis on Garland. OG on Mitchell. Scottie (or Pascal) on Strus.
      I agree.
      But Dennis sucks on D is my point.

Comment

I agree.
        But Dennis sucks on D is my point.
        lol. Dennis is a very good POA defender. He has been his whole career. Team defense is where he sometimes struggles. What NBA have you been watching?

Darko could be protecting him. I dunno.

Comment

• Guys, way too early for quoting EPM and being serious about it. Impact stats are noisy even over the course of a full season. Fun to talk about and think about at this stage but absolutely not a real thing yet.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Talk about not making sense. OG is only +1.6 impact in D-EPM. Not even the best on his team.... and literally half the impact of Scottie.

If OG's impact was as massive as you imply, then he should be at something like +5.0 D-EPM. And once again, compared to Dillon Brooks, OG is not carrying defensive scrubs. The opposite, in fact: OG has a plethora of above-average, to elite defensive teammates.

Look at our starting lineup. Raps have no defensive weak link in the starters, in comparison to Rockets, who have 2 straight up sieves (Green & Sengun), plus Fred (who grades out negative this year) and Jabari Smith (who appears to be average).

Not slagging on OG here, but questioning whether OG at $40M AAV is good value for his impact... is fair game.
            Brooks is underpaid for his current level of play.

Rockets got him cheap because he's insane and Memphis wanted him gone and no one else was interested.

Brooks was also pretty shit every year until this year as well. His eFG is attrocious every season until now. He got paid based on his career numbers which are bad. If he was signing a deal this offseason it would be for way more. Houston gambled on him and it's paying off. Same thing happened with us and Dennis.

Even if we look at just this season OG is putting up far superior numbers to Brooks so he's worth more.

Comment

lol. Dennis is a very good POA defender. He has been his whole career. Team defense is where he sometimes struggles. What NBA have you been watching?

Darko could be protecting him. I dunno.
              I guess he is not consistent on D, like last night.

Comment

• To answer the question, no OG is not worth $40M a season
                The next question, is who can we sign who's better for that money since Masai can't seem to get anyone of note to sign here as a FA. We'd be 40M richer with a worse team.

Comment

• G____Deane wrote: View Post
                  To answer the question, no OG is not worth $40M a season
                  The next question, is who can we sign who's better for that money since Masai can't seem to get anyone of note to sign here as a FA. We'd be 40M richer with a worse team.
                  Two different types of players, but Miles Bridges is on an expiring contract as well I think. Apparently he too is expecting a max though so same predicament perhaps. Also he's had some trouble with the law.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Brooks is underpaid for his current level of play.

Rockets got him cheap because he's insane and Memphis wanted him gone and no one else was interested.

Brooks was also pretty shit every year until this year as well. His eFG is attrocious every season until now. He got paid based on his career numbers which are bad. If he was signing a deal this offseason it would be for way more. Houston gambled on him and it's paying off. Same thing happened with us and Dennis.

Even if we look at just this season OG is putting up far superior numbers to Brooks so he's worth more.
                    Not "far superior"... not even close to that. OG has ever-so-slight advantages in: PPG (0.9), RPG (0.4) & APG (0.3). When you factor in USG, they are pretty much equal.

Comment

I guess he is not consistent on D, like last night.
                      Schroeder isn't inconsistent on D. Scrappy POA defender is Schroeder's NBA rep, and he competes hard every night.

Here's an un-biased scouting report, when he joined the Celtics.

The good and bad of Dennis Schroder’s defense

A major reason why the Boston Celtics have taken such a significant interest in acquiring Schroder is because of his high-level defense. He provides elite point of attack defense and between him, Marcus Smart, and Williams, Boston’s defense will have the most active hands in the league.
                      Schroder is great at pickpocketing careless bigs or stripping loose ball-handlers, leveraging his 6-8 wingspan to overwhelm opposing creators.

Schroder has a very high motor, often picking up opposing guards in a full-court press, and possesses high caliber screen navigation to keep up with screen-heavy guards. He’s positionally aware and is very good at denying the ball, often leading to steals that ignite transition plays.

The only weakness in Schroder’s defensive game is his size and his underwhelming help instincts.

At 6-3, 172 pounds, he can quickly be taken advantage of by bigger creators in the post or when going downhill.
                      https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2021/08/...er-provides/3/

Dennis would seem like the perfect defender to put on a similar sized, speedy PG, like Garland. Just not sure why Darko didn't do it and instead created 2 negative mis-mismatches.

Comment

To answer the question, no OG is not worth $40M a season
                        Others questions are: Is OG's D a luxury, since we can't translate it into an elite team defense, despite having superior defenders up and down our lineup?

Also... are we better off trading OG and getting back an offensive minded player, and/or replace OG with a slightly lesser 3&D (e.g. Dort, Tre Murphy) on a cheaper contract? Kind of like the price/performance tradeoff we did with Fred & Schroeder. I don't think anybody here still wants Fred at $43M/yr... do they?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Two different types of players, but Miles Bridges is on an expiring contract as well I think. Apparently he too is expecting a max though so same predicament perhaps. Also he's had some trouble with the law.
                          MLSE will never sign anyone who isn't squeaky clean and open to Chunky Soup shilling ..... especially for recent domestic violence and misdemeanor child abuse.

Comment

MLSE will never sign anyone who isn't squeaky clean and open to Chunky Soup shilling ..... especially for recent domestic violence and misdemeanor child abuse.
                            so no buy low on Giddey?
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

so no buy low on Giddey?
                              It's a league investigation at this point with no police involvement and no charges laid.
                              Still, MLSE values optics and share value over all, including winning so I highly doubt they would employ him unless as a FA and play the old "everyone deserves a second chance card". Or if it continues as is "we're satisified that nothing illegal occured"

Comment

Others questions are: Is OG's D a luxury, since we can't translate it into an elite team defense, despite having superior defenders up and down our lineup?

Also... are we better off trading OG and getting back an offensive minded player, and/or replace OG with a slightly lesser 3&D (e.g. Dort, Tre Murphy) on a cheaper contract? Kind of like the price/performance tradeoff we did with Fred & Schroeder. I don't think anybody here still wants Fred at $43M/yr... do they?
                                Better question would be are there any teams out there that would offer OG the max? Would have to be a bad team like Houston last year that has cap space to spare, but in Fred's case they were looking for a team leader/mentor as much as they were for someone to run point. OG is just a solid, good player, but not going to give you the intangibles. Not sure how many bad teams want to invest in a max for that, but looks like we may find out. Hopefully it's slim pickings and we can get OG for something below.

Comment

Working...
                                X