Dwane Casey's inability to draw up crunch time plays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    All I can say is that Masai is a marketing genius.
    I interpreted Masai's comments as a public shot across the bow at the Casey/Lowry/DD core, i.e., if they don't adapt, then at least he's got the morale authority to make some changes.

Comment

#CaseyOut

#WengerOut

Comment

Forget, crunch time plays. He consistently fails to realize what type of lineups we need out there. Putting JV on late in the Wizards game when Beal was killing guys all night off screens. No Poeltl in crunch time vs the Spurs. Then you have VanVleet on the court during the final offensive possession of the game. It's really unacceptable at this point.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
          It's been a lament for six-plus years now. It's passed from rage-inducing to depressing to sort of hilarious to me.
          Yet this issue resurfaced again and again.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
            I interpreted Masai's comments as a public shot across the bow at the Casey/Lowry/DD core, i.e., if they don't adapt, then at least he's got the morale authority to make some changes.
            Their contracts tell you that there will be no significant changes.

Comment

Casey has actually ranked quite well on ATO play calls over the last couple of years, iirc. Last ranking I saw for calculated points per timeout and had him #7 among coaches. DeMar's clutch scoring numbers have also been quite good the last couple of years - https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch...gular%20Season.

There's a lot of confirmation bias in these moments.

The extreme ISO down the stretch of tight games is very, very frustrating though.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I really don't know who's having a harder time adjusting to the "culture change"... is it demar and kyle or is it casey?
                In each close game this year so far we not only reverted to iso play of years past, but we pushed it to new extremes. I've never seen so many consecutive iso plays in the final minutes. It's beyond ridiculous. Why call a time out if you still gonna isolate. Are they trolling everybody? Is any opponent buying that the raptors are gonna come up with anything else than an iso in those situations?
                Is it a coincidence that every teammate playing alongside KL and DD are playing great when these 2 are sharing the ball and everyone looks lost when both hijack the offense?
                Both are our best players and both are paid like our best players... but man is there a gap in overall quality of play (especially consistency in the overall game) between these 2 and other 30 mil players in the league.
                Don't get me wrong. I love them both, but they're too flawed to be paid that money and they're definetly too flawed to build a team around them.
                Again, I'm not saying they can't get there, but they have ways to go.

My point is: the regular season succes doesn't matter AT ALL! We need to make sure we're ready for playoffs. So play like it. Don't go and try to win the game like DeRozan tried this game, but instead go and try to change the approach, stick to the passing game, try to make plays as a team. I don't care if we lose. At least we will have tried by doing it differently, by sticking with the plan we had. At least we will make some progress in that culture change department. Don't revert to what hasn't worked anyway!
                Does coach even realize this, do both our allstars realize this? Process over succes? Anyone?
                They better show some progress towards teamplay over the next 10 - 20 games, otherwise we can begin trading the entire starting lineup.

Comment

I think the issue with Casey is a fundamental core philosophy - his unwillingness to risk turnovers. It's almost like playing scared ... a "defensive" approach to offense. We see it time and time again. He justifies an entire offense, built around lack of passing and ISO scorers (Kyle, DeMar, Lou). He turns shooters & passers into dribble drivers (Carroll, Patterson, Vasquez). He goes ultra small with withl 2 point guard lineups (FVV, wtf?) to have an extra ball handler on the court. He tries to close out games with extreme ISO with 5 minutes (sometime more) left in the 4th quarter. It's all related to the same thing - an extreme aversion to turnovers.

The thing is, it actually works well in the regular season and gets you through the daily grind of a season, when opposing teams have no time to game plan for any particular team. It gets DeMar and Kyle and Dwane extremely well paid. It elevated the franchise out of ridicule to consistent 'pseudo-contender' status. But overall team playing habits to maximize the roster have never been instilled... hence culture reset. Watching an undermanned Celtics squad play the right way yesterday was depressing. You don't even need to know basketball to see that one team is playing hard and smart and another team is just scrambling and taking short cuts.

But that's where we are now.... I'm not even going to complain about Casey anymore. As a fan of the team, you almost feel like a hostage on an airplane. If I were Masai, I'd throw a pile of cash at Ettore Messina if he's available.
                  Last edited by golden; Mon Nov 13, 2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                    Casey has actually ranked quite well on ATO play calls over the last couple of years, iirc. Last ranking I saw for calculated points per timeout and had him #7 among coaches. DeMar's clutch scoring numbers have also been quite good the last couple of years - https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch...gular%20Season.

There's a lot of confirmation bias in these moments.

The extreme ISO down the stretch of tight games is very, very frustrating though.
                    Important context to that is that the Raps have been an elite offensive team overall over the past few years, ranking from 3rd to 6th in ORTG over the past three seasons. So them placing 7th in clutch situations would suggest their clutch offence is below average, given the overall scheme and offensive talent on the roster and the full game ranking that leads to.

Our clutch time ORTG this year ranks 21st (overall offence is 5th). Last year our clutch offence was 10th, down from our overall offence of 6th. Two years ago, 9th down from 5th. The clutch offence is OK on its own - DeRozan is indeed a heck of an individual scoring talent - but is not remotely capitalizing on the offensive talent that powers this team to regular placement in the elite offensive teams in the league over the past half decade.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

This whole thread is based on a BS narrative. Casey actually is good at drawing up plays and this team generally performs well in the clutch.

We shouldn't have been in such a tight game in the first place against a severely shorthanded Celtics team. We need to play better for 48 minutes.

There are a lot of statisticians that will tell you that clutch play largely comes down to luck as well and has a high degree of variance. DeRozan got a good shot off for him, if that goes in we aren't even discussing this topic.

This is one of the reasons why 2 teams were overrated last year and winning more than they should have: Boston and Memphis. Both teams won a disproportionately high number of close games. The best teams don't even play many close games.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        It's been a lament for six-plus years now. It's passed from rage-inducing to depressing to sort of hilarious to me.
                        Yup, I'm not even mad anymore. It is what it is.

Watching yesterday's game, we all knew the final 5 minutes would be an ISO-fest. This is what Masai doubled-down on when bringing his core of Casey/Lowry/DeRozan back. And this is what will prevent us from excelling in the playoffs (again).

Not gonna change until the summer of 2020.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post

Watching yesterday's game, we all knew the final 5 minutes would be an ISO-fest. This is what Masai doubled-down on when bringing his core of Casey/Lowry/DeRozan back. And this is what will prevent us from excelling in the playoffs (again).

We'll be tanking by the 2020/21...

Anyway, I still think that Casey will be gone in 2018, IF WE DON'T CHANGE.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post

i hope he'll be gone by 2018 tbh

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post

We've said this for the last 4 years. I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post

Basically the same old song. I don't mind ISO the last 5 minutes, even heavy ISO. But just mix it up with some different plays.... you know, even a teenie, tiny little bit. For me, this has nothing to do with ATO plays and clutch scoring or ORTG. It's the extreme nature and predictability that is annoying & frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                                X