Everything Nick Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Yet if KD's foot wasn't on the line in a game 7 in closing seconds.. he would have his first ring most likely (well Atlanta and Phoenix was still in the way potentially).
    Nets had the Bucks down 0-2 and Nash squandered that. Never should've let them off the mat. Bucks raised the intensity & physicality and used that to overcome the talent difference. That's exactly where coaching could've had an impact.

But believing that coaching makes a zero difference is just a wild take. It's basically like believing leadership makes zero difference. Just toss a bunch of talented people together and any old leader can shepherd them to the promised land. If that philosophy works in basketball, then that's the only area of life where that actually does work.

It's like believing you could plug in any CEO into Apple and it would still grow into the same company that Steve Jobs built... twice. Oh, wait... Apple tried that with John Sculley and Jobs had to rescue the company from the brink of extinction.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Nets had the Bucks down 0-2 and Nash squandered that. Never should've let them off the mat. Bucks raised the intensity & physicality and used that to overcome the talent difference. That's exactly where coaching could've had an impact.

But believing that coaching makes a zero difference is just a wild take. It's basically like believing leadership makes zero difference. Just toss a bunch of talented people together and any old leader can shepherd them to the promised land. If that philosophy works in basketball, then that's the only area of life where that actually does work.

It's like believing you could plug in any CEO into Apple and it would still grow into the same company that Steve Jobs built... twice. Oh, wait... Apple tried that with John Sculley and Jobs had to rescue the company from the brink of extinction.
      Apple is doing fine without Jobs now.
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Wolves went from Thibs to Saunders to Chris Finch in span of like 3 seasons? And records were similar among the coaches. Now it's different after they drafted Anthony Edwards. There's many cases of mid-season coaching changes that had little effect on record.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Apple is doing fine without Jobs now.
          Unlike Sculley, Tim Cook was the perfect hand-off. Cook was the right horse for the right course, is exactly my point. You actually didn't need another Steve Jobs type after Jobs left - you needed a guy to continue squeezing value out of what Jobs already built, and just adding around the fringes. You needed a politician, leveraging the global brand. Apple hasn't released any revolutionary products under Cook. They didn't need to. The right leadership at the right time made a difference.

Casey got fired because of lack of adjustments in the playoffs. Nurse was the right hire at the time to get a win-now, HoF laden team over the hump. It isn't clear that Nurse is the right coach for a developing team. He coaches regular season games like it's game 7.

Comment

Ok let's address it.

Double Embiid or not. Since you used that example.

Who do you have on a roster? If you have Cody Zeller as center. Then yeah probably you should double. But let's say you have a center who can guard Embiid one on one. Is one coach smarter than another one for using different strategy? I don't think so. They just did due with what they had.

Who is on Embiids team? Does he have shooters around him? That's talent issue. If he has great shooters around him then you are fucked either way.

You see chess is interesting because both players have same pieces who move the same way, it's even playing field. But it's not like that in NBA. Some coaches have 3 Queens and some coaches have a lot of bishops.

If there was possibility of that in NBA that would be fun.
            You just proved my point even further!

Not sure if you realized that while typing it.

Coaching basketball requires a lot more strategy than chess because there are so many more variables. It's REALLY important you have a great coach manipulating and reacting to those variables.

You know who does all that analysis on Embiid and the Philly roster VS our roster? The coach! That's who. That's why what he does matters so damn much.

Comment

Unlike Sculley, Tim Cook was the perfect hand-off. Cook was the right horse for the right course, is exactly my point. You actually didn't need another Steve Jobs type after Jobs left - you needed a guy to continue squeezing value out of what Jobs already built, and just adding around the fringes. You needed a politician, leveraging the global brand. Apple hasn't released any revolutionary products under Cook. They didn't need to. The right leadership at the right time made a difference.

Casey got fired because of lack of adjustments in the playoffs. Nurse was the right hire at the time to get a win-now, HoF laden team over the hump. It isn't clear that Nurse is the right coach for a developing team. He coaches regular season games like it's game 7.
              You think they win in playoffs with if Casey was good at adjustment?

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

You just proved my point even further!

Not sure if you realized that while typing it.

Coaching basketball requires a lot more strategy than chess because there are so many more variables. It's REALLY important you have a great coach manipulating and reacting to those variables.

You know who does all that analysis on Embiid and the Philly roster VS our roster? The coach! That's who. That's why what he does matters so damn much.
                Yeah but coaching decision are affected by roster. Not the other way around. So the roster comes first.

Comment

Wolves went from Thibs to Saunders to Chris Finch in span of like 3 seasons? And records were similar among the coaches. Now it's different after they drafted Anthony Edwards. There's many cases of mid-season coaching changes that had little effect on record.
                  It's almost like the coach requires time to learn the players and implement his system.

I'm a great engineer but if you throw me into a project in the middle of it it's gonna take me a while to get up to speed, my performance will be a lot better 6 months later then when I start.

Same deal with coaches (or any job for that matter).

Comment

You think they win in playoffs with if Casey was good at adjustment?
                    Well, of course. If you're good at adjustments then, by definition, it means you picked the winning strategy.

Comment

Yeah but coaching decision are affected by roster. Not the other way around. So the roster comes first.
                      Why does what comes first matter at all for the discussion at hand?

The question was does coaching matter in the NBA?

Sounds like you 100% agree with me that it does indeed matter quite a bit.

Comment

It's almost like the coach requires time to learn the players and implement his system.

I'm a great engineer but if you throw me into a project in the middle of it it's gonna take me a while to get up to speed, my performance will be a lot better 6 months later then when I start.

Same deal with coaches (or any job for that matter).
                        I'm a great video editor. If they ask me to pick up a project from another editor I'll do it but I'm not affecting the quality of shots and i'm not affecting the acting. I can do my best but there's only so much I can do. And if another editor took a look at it he would make similar decisions.

Comment

Why does what comes first matter at all for the discussion at hand?

The question was does coaching matter in the NBA?

Sounds like you 100% agree with me that it does indeed matter quite a bit.
                          No. It doesn't matter. That's why coaches changes are happening nearly every year and why their salary is similar to bench guy. If they matter THAT much they would be payed like that.

Comment

Well, of course. If you're good at adjustments then, by definition, it means you picked the winning strategy.
                            They would have still lost to the Cavs. DeMar and Lowry just weren't good enough.

Comment

Yeah he beats Lebron you think? Now that's a hell of a take

Comment

I'm a great video editor. If they ask me to pick up a project from another editor I'll do it but I'm not affecting the quality of shots and i'm not affecting the acting. I can do my best but there's only so much I can do. And if another editor took a look at it he would make similar decisions.
                                You will affect the product though, bro.
                                I work in the film industry and editors ( and directors) can ruin a good material.

Comment

Working...
                                X