Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    He actually hits 3s at a 38.5% clip when shooting with less than 4 seconds on the shot clock. 44.4% with 7-4 seconds remaining.

15-7 seconds on the clock, he hits 21.1%.

ShotClock Off situations, 13.3%.

I'd argue he shouldn't be taking end of game shots, because even in the best of light, he isn't a good shooter, just an adequate one. His game doesn't require more than adequate though, just that him taking 3s with the game on the line isn't the best decision making.

So, I would say... probably not?
    That's cause he doesn't have time to think about it. He just lets it fly.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      That's cause he doesn't have time to think about it. He just lets it fly.
      Looking at the stats it seems to be more that when he shoots in the rhythm of the offense, it's a good shot. When he doesn't, it's not. Doesn't have to be more complicated than that.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

My bad.

I just think the idea that guys are being held accountable in private kinda silly.

When Lowry kills an offensive run by running down and firing a pull-up contested 3 with 17 on the shot clock, he should be pulled. Don't wait til the film session.

When DeMar dribbles for 10 seconds then fires a contested 20ft pull-up, he should be pulled.

Anyone else on the team would be.
        I think you want to be careful with this type of strategy for two reasons.

1, This team suffers when DeMar/Lowry are on the bench, and that would presumedly happen when you bench them.

2, You don't want to alienate your star players. That's how dysfunctional situations/trade requests happen. You might say well stars being held to a different standard isnt great for morale either and I buy that but the NBA players recognize a hiearchy that exists for certain play/conduct. I don't want to piss lowry or DeMar to the point where they leave. That would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Comment

My bad.

I just think the idea that guys are being held accountable in private kinda silly.

When Lowry kills an offensive run by running down and firing a pull-up contested 3 with 17 on the shot clock, he should be pulled. Don't wait til the film session.

When DeMar dribbles for 10 seconds then fires a contested 20ft pull-up, he should be pulled.

Anyone else on the team would be.

Not true.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Everything Demar Derozan

Don't worry everyone. I met Derozan today and he personally assured me he's sticking around.

And is that JVs wife to his right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post

Don't worry everyone. I met Derozan today and he personally assured me he's sticking around.

And is that JVs wife to his right?

Ha was that at Square One?

Those bikes look familiar, I was there today and also got a picture with DD

Comment

• Jrice9 wrote: View Post
                I think you want to be careful with this type of strategy for two reasons.

1, This team suffers when DeMar/Lowry are on the bench, and that would presumedly happen when you bench them.

2, You don't want to alienate your star players. That's how dysfunctional situations/trade requests happen. You might say well stars being held to a different standard isnt great for morale either and I buy that but the NBA players recognize a hiearchy that exists for certain play/conduct. I don't want to piss lowry or DeMar to the point where they leave. That would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.
                There is a difference between accountability and alienating. Pop still yells at Duncan, Manu and Parker and holds them accountable when they do something wrong, and he has been coaching them since the start of their careers.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                  There is a difference between accountability and alienating. Pop still yells at Duncan, Manu and Parker and holds them accountable when they do something wrong, and he has been coaching them since the start of their careers.
                  Casey does the same I'm sure.

Remember Casey coached these guys before they became "star players".....this isn't a Blatt situation.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                    Casey does the same I'm sure.

Remember Casey coached these guys before they became "star players".....this isn't a Blatt situation.
                    I think the point being made is that Pop will yell at his star players on the sidelines, and bench them in game (he quite often will get frustrated and pull the entire starting lineup off the floor at once for a full bench unit if they start the game off badly). Casey never shows any sign of that sort of substitution, or even public criticism of his star players.

I'm not advocating for one approach over the other, but with the minutes patterns of guys who often are very bad for the team and for the team culture (massive minutes for GV and Lou last year, for example, plus restrictions on minutes for guys like JJ and JV who play hard but maybe not so smart sometimes), it is hard to make the argument that any off-court criticism is actually translating into any tangible on-court accountability.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• In till we get in the locker room we will never know how the players are held accountable. I'm pretty sure grown men appreciate not being yelled at on TV. Its all speculations at the moment.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Ok guys let's be real though. Any coach who did what pop does without his pedigree would in fact alienate his team. Pop can do that stuff because he's the best in the game.

There definitely is a happy medium between what Casey appears to do and what pop does in regards to accountability though.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                          Ok guys let's be real though. Any coach who did what pop does without his pedigree would in fact alienate his team. Pop can do that stuff because he's the best in the game.

There definitely is a happy medium between what Casey appears to do and what pop does in regards to accountability though.

But I'd say that's actually more on the culture of players rather than how special Pop is. Pop is definitely the best coach in the game right now, and that certainly buys him respect, but it wouldn't work if his top guys didn't always fall in line, and that's a top down culture thing that also dictates roster-building. From Robinson to Duncan to Kawhi, the guys they choose to build with are guys that let Pop chew them out for anything to learn to be better. If Pop wasn't a great coach he wouldn't have lasted, but those guys would still be just as open to any coach you put there.

I mean, who are the guys who have that kind of respect in the league? Even Carlisle had issues with Rondo last year. And it didn't impact his hold on the locker room at all, because he's a great coach and his other players, starting with Dirk, all respect him and ownership/management has his back.

I think you overrate how established a coach has to be. Sure, a rookie coach probably couldn't do such things, but Casey isn't a rookie, and supposedly has the respect of the locker room and the support of the higher ups, so why doesn't he do it? Why has there always seemed to be imbalanced accountability? It's not like we have low character players either. So yeah, I just don't think it's in Casey's personality. He just seems to treat guys differently on the court and that's annoying. *I could see it maybe being an issue with Lowry, but I also think if Lowry actually respected his coach it wouldn't be. Lowry is stubborn but all about winning too. That's why those post-playoff words ("I respect Casey as a man") had a lot of us hoping Casey would be gone.
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Jan 25, 2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                            Ok guys let's be real though. Any coach who did what pop does without his pedigree would in fact alienate his team. Pop can do that stuff because he's the best in the game.

This is a pretty fair post.

Casey can't do what Pop does because he isn't Pop. He's handling DeMar/Kyle like Phil Jackson handled Kobe and Jordan, which also isn't fair though. Because neither of those guys is anywhere near as good as Kobe/Jordan.

The reality is, Kyle/DeMar/CoJo are the only guys with the ball in their hands enough to create real issues for our team offense with dumbass possessions. Kyle and DeMar definitely do it less this year, but the question is, why does it need to happen at all?

Comment

This is a pretty fair post.

Casey can't do what Pop does because he isn't Pop. He's handling DeMar/Kyle like Phil Jackson handled Kobe and Jordan, which also isn't fair though. Because neither of those guys is anywhere near as good as Kobe/Jordan.

The reality is, Kyle/DeMar/CoJo are the only guys with the ball in their hands enough to create real issues for our team offense with dumbass possessions. Kyle and DeMar definitely do it less this year, but the question is, why does it need to happen at all?
                              No he's not. Jackson actually held those guys accountable. He just wasn't a screamer like Pop. He had no problem throwing his stars under the bus publicly, and clearly affected the way guys like Kobe and Jordan played (ie got them to buy into team offence by convincing them it leads to winning).

Casey just seems to play favourites, and really just seems to relate to the guys who have the ball in their hands the most. So I don't know if it's anything personal (Kyle was in his doghouse when Jose was here and being forced to play out of his comfort zone, then had all the freedom in the world to play his game when he became the starter and a top 2-3 option), or just some insecure aspect of his personality where because his offence depends so much on the ballhandlers creating he's afraid to piss them off or take them off the court in general.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                No he's not. Jackson actually held those guys accountable. He just wasn't a screamer like Pop. He had no problem throwing his stars under the bus publicly, and clearly affected the way guys like Kobe and Jordan played (ie got them to buy into team offence by convincing them it leads to winning).

Casey just seems to play favourites, and really just seems to relate to the guys who have the ball in their hands the most. So I don't know if it's anything personal (Kyle was in his doghouse when Jose was here and being forced to play out of his comfort zone, then had all the freedom in the world to play his game when he became the starter and a top 2-3 option), or just some insecure aspect of his personality where because his offence depends so much on the ballhandlers creating he's afraid to piss them off or take them off the court in general.
                                Nah, not to derail the thread, but Jackson really didn't hold Kobe/Jordan accountable the way he did with the rest of his team. Watch old Bulls game tape. Jackson will light into any of the other guys, never Jordan. The way Jackson treated Kwame Brown is legendary.

Comment

Working...
                                X