Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    I'm done with this thread. When DeMar's supporters think I'm asking him to walk on water to say that 6 assist per game is in reach for him, we've reached the point of ridiculousness. 6 assists per game is an insane ask, really?
    To be fair you should be focusing on Lowry only averaging 6 assists per game as a PG and not asking DD to average 6. Lowry's assists per game has decreased every year he has been with the Raptors.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
      To be fair you should be focusing on Lowry only averaging 6 assists per game as a PG and not asking DD to average 6. Lowry's assists per game has decreased every year he has been with the Raptors.
      That's where I've said at least 4 times that it's a system issue that has a lot to do with Casey, CoJo and Lowry.

With DeMar though, the increase in his assist rate required to hit 6 assist per game would be the same increase he's had over the last two years. So if he simply continues at the same current rate of improvement, he'd be there in 2 years.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

That's where I've said at least 4 times that it's a system issue that has a lot to do with Casey, CoJo and Lowry.

With DeMar though, the increase in his assist rate required to hit 6 assist per game would be the same increase he's had over the last two years. So if he simply continues at the same current rate of improvement, he'd be there in 2 years.
        Improvement in the NBA is not exponential or linear, generally tends to look like a logarithmic curve, a lot of consistent improvement early on and then things start to level off a bit.

DeMar's assist percentage has been in the high teens the past couple of years and is now slightly over 20%. You're asking him to push that to nearly 30% while averaging 50% more assists per game. This is an extremely tall order. The fact that even Kobe has only done it twice should speak volumes, and he has never even played with a proper point guard so he's always been the primary playmaker pretty much.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
          Improvement in the NBA is not exponential or linear, generally tends to look like a logarithmic curve, a lot of consistent improvement early on and then things start to level off a bit.

DeMar's assist percentage has been in the high teens the past couple of years and is now slightly over 20%. You're asking him to push that to nearly 30% while averaging 50% more assists per game. This is an extremely tall order. The fact that even Kobe has only done it twice should speak volumes, and he has never even played with a proper point guard so he's always been the primary playmaker pretty much.
          A 20% increase in his assist rate would put him at just over 25%, not 30%.

Comment

A 20% increase in his assist rate would put him at just over 25%, not 30%.
            Can you explain to me how you're getting a 20% increase in assist rate?

Assist percentage increases linearly with assists, all other things equal considering the formula is:

100 * AST / (((MP / (Tm MP / 5)) * Tm FG) - FG)

If he uses the same number of possessions, he needs to increase his assists per game by 1.9. That's 46%. That would be a 46% increase on his assist rate from 21.3% would be 32.1%.
            Last edited by JWash; Tue Feb 2, 2016, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
              Can you explain to me how you're getting a 20% increase in assist rate?

Assist percentage increases linearly with assists, all other things equal considering the formula is:

100 * AST / (((MP / (Tm MP / 5)) * Tm FG) - FG)

If he uses the same number of possessions, he needs to increase his assists per game by 1.9. That's 46%. That would be a 46% increase on his assist rate from 21.3% would be 31.1%.
              Fair enough, my math was wrong. I still think that it's interesting that I've been called a DeMar hater, and I'm the one arguing that he could get to 6 assist per game.

I still think he could do it.

Comment

• Everything Demar Derozan

Barolt wrote: View Post
                Fair enough, my math was wrong. I still think that it's interesting that I've been called a DeMar hater, and I'm the one arguing that he could get to 6 assist per game.

I still think he could do it.
                I dunno. Sometimes I think you are a Demar hater and sometimes I think you think he's a superstar....lol

What you're asking for is kinda ridiculous.

Demar is doing just fine as a scorer/playmaker.

What I would like to see is guys that you rarely criticize (like Ross and JV), get better. Those guys should/can get much better.

Sometimes it really looks like you think it's all on Demar, but I disagree with you. Demar has reached his prime and the only thing I see getting much better is his 3 pt shooting.

It's now on the other players to improve to their potential.

This means more improvement in their passing and playmaking as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                  I dunno. Sometimes I think you are a Demar hater and sometimes I think you think he's a superstar....lol

What you're asking for is kinda ridiculous.

Demar is doing just fine as a scorer/playmaker.

What I would like to see is guys that you rarely criticize (like Ross and JV), get better. Those guys should/can get much better.

Sometimes it really looks like you think it's all on Demar, but I disagree with you. Demar has reached his prime and the only thing I see getting much better is his 3 pt shooting.

It's now on the other players to improve to their potential.

This means more improvement in their passing and playmaking as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I really hope DeMar's defense gets better. Right now his defense is one of the weaker portions of his game.

As far as Ross, he needs to hit the open shots. He's doing well on contested shots lately, less well on uncontested. It's a strange trend for a player with his skillset, but off the dribble he's been a lot better lately. Also, his body language when he gets looked off is awful the past week or two.

For JV, he had a rough defensive game against the Nuggets, but it's hard to say how much of that was helping and how much was him. He needs to demand the ball more on offense, and assert himself. Would love to see him get more minutes and more opportunity. We ran the offense through him the first 3-4 minutes against Denver and it worked, then we never really went back to him after that.

I don't think DeMar is a superstar, I don't hate him. I hate hero ball, really. I'd rather watch a team working together.

Comment

• Scoring the basketball when your team is struggling is not hero ball, it is trying to prevent getting absolutely smacked down by the other team.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                      #firecasey

Comment

I'm done with this thread. When DeMar's supporters think I'm asking him to walk on water to say that 6 assist per game is in reach for him, we've reached the point of ridiculousness. 6 assists per game is an insane ask, really?
                        There are 18 players in the entire NBA averaging 6 or more assists per game. 3 of them aren't PG's. They are:

Draymond Green, PF
                        James Harden, SG
                        Lebron James, SF

So yeah, 6 assists per game is an insane ask.

Comment

• Jebus why do you guys talk about demar so much?
                          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                            Jebus why do you guys talk about demar so much?
                            Cause everything Demar Derozan, haven't you heard?

Comment

• Good read.

"Man, there's been so much stuff, honestly," DeRozan told TSN in an exclusive interview earlier this week. "I could write a book [with] how much stuff was said. 'He'll just be an average player, he'll never...'. There's so many things you could start [with]. It's crazy.
                              "But you can't look at it and get sad or cry about it, you've got to use that as motivation. At the end of the day, the same people who probably said this, or whatever it was, you feel better knowing they're eating their words. And that's what it's all about. You can't get mad. I understand. I take all that frustration out when I'm working out in the summer, try to come back and prove everybody wrong."
                              "Everything today is instant," Raptors head coach Dwane Casey said. "You want instant coffee, microwave ovens, all things are instant now, you want it right now. So guys that have to do it the hard way, the old-fashioned way usually don't get credit but it's probably the most rewarding and sustainable type of improvement that you get. Some guys come in and are flash in the pans but they never get better as their career goes on and they don't last very long. But the way DeMar is doing it, it's the right way, it's going to be sustainable. He still hasn't reached his ceiling yet. Everybody wanted it yesterday but he's not getting credit for how much he's improved over the last five or six years."
                              "He has nothing but total respect from our conference coaches and even in the Western Conference," he continued. "Coaches respect and understand, they've seen him work. I've bragged about how much he works in the summertime. I've been to his summer workouts out there in Compton and just watched how hard he works and what he puts into the game. I think coaches understand, the pure basketball minds understand. Now the fringe fans, the people in the basement on the internet doing all that stuff, probably not, they don't see the instant gratification but I think the true, old-school basketball people understand and appreciate and respect what he's done and what he's accomplishing."
                              http://www.tsn.ca/all-star-derozan-o...wrong-1.430223
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Dwane Casey wrote:
                                I think coaches understand, the pure basketball minds understand. Now the fringe fans, the people in the basement on the internet doing all that stuff, probably not
                                Certain members of Raptors Republic take great offense at this! They will deliver a fiery response just as soon as they put their pants back on!

Comment

Working...
                                X