Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    JV gets 22.2 front court touches per game.
    Yeah? Is that a lot? Are those touches in situations where offence is being generated (ie assist opportunities) or is he just the big man pivoting the ball on the perimeter in some pre-attack motion?

Even when he gets the ball the team just watches him. On the rare occasion where his teammates move he's shown the ability to make very nice passes, either to the guy who made the post entry pass cutting to the basket, or to shifting teammates on the perimeter on the weak side, or back out to the top of the arc when doubled.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

JV gets 22.2 front court touches per game.
      http://public.tableau.com/shared/2P6...play_count=yes

Plays/game for centers.

JV sits 27th in the league, right between the offensive juggernauts Alex Len and Rudy Gobert.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Yeah? Is that a lot? Are those touches in situations where offence is being generated (ie assist opportunities) or is he just the big man pivoting the ball on the perimeter in some pre-attack motion?

Even when he gets the ball the team just watches him. On the rare occasion where his teammates move he's shown the ability to make very nice passes, either to the guy who made the post entry pass cutting to the basket, or to shifting teammates on the perimeter on the weak side, or back out to the top of the arc when doubled.
        Yeah, a fair amount of his touches are definitely just being used to make handoffs or reverse the ball to the other side on the perimeter. I don't know how many, but it might be the scenario he sees the ball the most in. The other ways he's used he gets few touches in each.

*I think they're doing a better job mixing up the way he's used this year. Things are a little less stagnant around him when he has the ball and his touches down in the post seem to be coming from more than just the simple "lets clear the side and give it to Jonas on an island" situation. They are finding him in the paint a bit more when he seals his man I think. I also think his jumpshot is coming along nicely, so with Lowry and DeMar looking to drive and score they should start utilizing that more, especially when teams try to ice our side p'n'r. The big problem still all comes down to him not being used enough, plain and simple. It would make everyone's life so much easier on the court. With DeMar also showing promise this year for his 3pter it should give them plenty of options to diversify their offence. And Lowry and DeMar could both play off the ball a bit more and waste less energy creating on offence.
        Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Apr 10, 2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
          http://public.tableau.com/shared/2P6...play_count=yes

Plays/game for centers.

JV sits 27th in the league, right between the offensive juggernauts Alex Len and Rudy Gobert.
          Both those "offensive juggernauts" have higher AST% than Jonas.

Len - 8.6
          Gobert - 7.3
          JV - 4.7
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Yeah, a fair amount of his touches are definitely just being used to make handoffs or reverse the ball to the other side on the perimeter. I don't know how many, but it might be the scenario he sees the ball the most in. The other ways he's used he gets few touches in each.

*I think they're doing a better job mixing up the way he's used this year. Things are a little less stagnant around him when he has the ball and his touches down in the post seem to be coming from more than just the simple "lets clear the side and give it to Jonas on an island" situation. They are finding him in the paint a bit more when he seals his man I think. I also think his jumpshot is coming along nicely, so with Lowry and DeMar looking to drive and score they should start utilizing that more, especially when teams try to ice our side p'n'r. The big problem still all comes down to him not being used enough, plain and simple. It would make everyone's life so much easier on the court. With DeMar also showing promise this year for his 3pter it should give them plenty of options to diversify their offence. And Lowry and DeMar could both play off the ball a bit more and waste less energy creating on offence.
            Good points. To JV's credit, he doesn't think he's a better passer than he is, hence his low turnover rate.

And yeah, the guards do not look for him enough around the basket, where he is hugely efficient. Kyle really seems to struggle at times getting JV the ball and DD really has to fight his natural tunnel vision.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Both those "offensive juggernauts" have higher AST% than Jonas.

Len - 8.6
              Gobert - 7.3
              JV - 4.7
              AST% doesn't adjust for how much a player gets the ball though. The time he's on the court, most of it he's not in a position to make an assist.

Do I think he would be Divac with more opportunities? Nah. But, he's shown enough ability that I don't think that's reason for concern if he were to be used more. He can hit cutters and shooters. He's not selfish. His patience and ability to read the court are improving and would probably improve faster (with more growing pains like turnovers) if his role was increased.

Comment

• I really don't think there's a horrible deficit of passing ability on this team. We don't have a single elite passer maybe, but all the guys in the rotation except maybe BB are capable of making the passes required from their position.

Comment

AST% doesn't adjust for how much a player gets the ball though. The time he's on the court, most of it he's not in a position to make an assist.

Do I think he would be Divac with more opportunities? Nah. But, he's shown enough ability that I don't think that's reason for concern if he were to be used more. He can hit cutters and shooters. He's not selfish. His patience and ability to read the court are improving and would probably improve faster (with more growing pains like turnovers) if his role was increased.
                  Those were the guys Barolt pointed out get the ball as much as JV.

Maybe Zach Lowe was overly harsh in calling JV's passing "laughably bad" this past offseason. He's shown he can hit open guys, if he sees them, But to me, his major issue is similar to DD's in that his court vision is naturally poor.

Comment

• JV's passing ability is actually pretty good...you can see it

Hard to pass when you don't get the ball or when you don't have any movement to pass too.

Lack of opportunity due to system means we have very poor data set to back up these claims, but it doesn't mean the claim is wrong

Comment

• This discussion is like 2 guys looking at the same woman - she looks like Jennifer Lawrence to one guy and Rosie O'Donnell to the other.

Comment

This discussion is like 2 guys looking at the same woman - she looks like Jennifer Lawrence to one guy and Rosie O'Donnell to the other.
                        Both very attractive ladies in their own ways

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                          Both very attractive ladies in their own ways
                          lol, who thinks rosie is attractive? that has to be bank account attractiveness as "in her own way"

"that bitch wears underwear with dick holes in them" haha

Comment

I really don't think there's a horrible deficit of passing ability on this team. We don't have a single elite passer maybe, but all the guys in the rotation except maybe BB are capable of making the passes required from their position.
                            For a 7 footer, Bebe has really nice vision and touch with his passes.

Comment

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
                              For a 7 footer, Bebe has really nice vision and touch with his passes.
                              its because he never shooots. he has good hands near the basket but always passes out

his next step would be to actually put up the layup when hes near the basket
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Umm... is this not the Demar thread? What the heck is going on in here? C'mon guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X