Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    I've said it before but I'll say it again.. Masai should not resign DD just to trade him later. That's destined to fail. You let him walk even if they can't use the cap space to sign a difference maker (the cap space can help bring back Biyombo as an example).

You sign DD and you're stuck for at least one full year. No team is going to trade for him mid season. It just doesn't happen anymore. Teams like integrating starting caliber players during summer camp, when they can plan an entire season.

Also it will look like Masai is being desperate as he's trading a former 2x all-star mid season, which could mess with the locker room. When Masai traded Nene.. it was after about 45 games (in a shortened season, so around the trade deadline). They also had a 24-20 record when it happened..

Do you want the Raptors to be mediocre or suck and then make a move in season just to get some type of asset back? Because if the Raptors are doing well like they have the past two years.. we'll be seeing DD again in the playoffs.

We can use Ross/Powell or one of our draft picks instead. Lots of guards out there as well that I'm sure can be made available in a trade.

Time to rip off that bandage.
    I was firmly in the "you gotta maintain the asset" stance, until last night. I've had enough.

Now I could be convinced that ridding ourselves of DeRozan (and the terrible shot selection culture he breeds) right from training camp, is the smarter decision.

But Casey deserves just as much blame for allowing that culture to define this roster. He needs to shape up big time.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      I was firmly in the "you gotta maintain the asset" stance, until last night. I've had enough.

Now I could be convinced that ridding ourselves of DeRozan (and the terrible shot selection culture he breeds) right from training camp, is the smarter decision.

But Casey deserves just as much blame for allowing that culture to define this roster. He needs to shape up big time.
      Casey needs to go as well.. but DD is an easier decision. You can fire a coach at any time. You can say good bye to a free agent.

If DD wants to stay he does have a player option he can use.

Comment

• I think Casey's struggles are that he's a defensive minded coach. He's good at coaching D, he's made a great career out of coaching D. He's not good at scripting plays and making adjustments on the offensive side of things. That's not to say he cannot be placed in a winning situation here in Toronto. If they want to continue on with Casey they really need to bring in an offensive coordinator who calls the offensive plays. That's a slight demotion for Casey but it's his ticket to success. They need to find an offensive guru, it can even be a young guy they can groom to be Casey's successor.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
          I think Casey's struggles are that he's a defensive minded coach. He's good at coaching D, he's made a great career out of coaching D. He's not good at scripting plays and making adjustments on the offensive side of things. That's not to say he cannot be placed in a winning situation here in Toronto. If they want to continue on with Casey they really need to bring in an offensive coordinator who calls the offensive plays. That's a slight demotion for Casey but it's his ticket to success. They need to find an offensive guru, it can even be a young guy they can groom to be Casey's successor.
          I agree in theory. But I can't see that scenario going over smoothly. Casey setting records in wins, and deciding to stay quiet in crucial crunch time possessions.

Comment

good fucking lord

Comment

I think Casey's struggles are that he's a defensive minded coach. He's good at coaching D, he's made a great career out of coaching D. He's not good at scripting plays and making adjustments on the offensive side of things. That's not to say he cannot be placed in a winning situation here in Toronto. If they want to continue on with Casey they really need to bring in an offensive coordinator who calls the offensive plays. That's a slight demotion for Casey but it's his ticket to success. They need to find an offensive guru, it can even be a young guy they can groom to be Casey's successor.
              I think him being good at defense is a bit misleading. Here is how the Raps ranked in defense each year he's coached the team:

15-16 - 11th
              14-15 - 25th
              13-14 - 10th
              12-13 - 22nd
              11-12 - 14th

Average: 16th

He's about average to below average in my opinion.

Comment

I agree in theory. But I can't see that scenario going over smoothly. Casey setting records in wins, and deciding to stay quiet in crucial crunch time possessions.
                Ujiri presents it as part of the system he's establishing. The culture is about daring to be unique to find advantages, striving for excellence, yada, yada, yada.

Comment

This is 99% on Casey for allowing this.

DeRozan's just a brainless toad doing what he's told to do. No excuse for Casey.

Comment

• Nilanka, Ride Or Die. We're running Ride or Die every play. Part of Ride or Die is taking really bad shots. Ride or Die has to work, I mean the guy calling it doesn't have job security for next season.

Comment

This is 99% on Casey for allowing this.

DeRozan's just a brainless toad doing what he's told to do. No excuse for Casey.
                      I understand they got you here. But the playoffs is about adjustments and team ball. You cannot do the same shit you did in the regular season because teams are scouting for that.

Comment

• mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                        I understand they got you here. But the playoffs is about adjustments and team ball. You cannot do the same shit you did in the regular season because teams are scouting for that.
                        Adjustments are things like putting Powell or PP in the starting lineup, running a few specific sets to take advantage of a mismatch, throwing double-teams at a scoring threat, etc. You can't change the core of what your offense is in the playoffs.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Nilanka, Ride Or Die. We're running Ride or Die every play. Part of Ride or Die is taking really bad shots. Ride or Die has to work, I mean the guy calling it doesn't have job security for next season.
                          The should throw in some #ComeHellOrHighWater or #ProveEm in there, just to keep the defense guessing.

Comment

The should throw in some #ComeHellOrHighWater or #ProveEm in there, just to keep the defense guessing.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

If DD wants to stay he does have a player option he can use.
                              Can you imagine if he does?
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                                Can you imagine if he does?
                                Not really. There's no way he's gonna turn down all that nationwide attention during FA frenzy.

Comment

Working...
                                X