Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raps07 wrote: View Post
    Question for Dan H ( or anyone with CBA knowledge) could we structure Dero's Max deal, so that the first year would only be 12 mil or so, to make room to sign Biz or whoever ?
    No. If the first year is 12 mil, the max raise in any given year is $900k, at which point we aren't talking about anything close to a max deal.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Raps07 wrote: View Post
      Question for Dan H ( or anyone with CBA knowledge) could we structure Dero's Max deal, so that the first year would only be 12 mil or so, to make room to sign Biz or whoever ?
      No can only increase by 7.5% year over year so that would be impossible.

I think the best way to structure DD's deal would be to have it flat so that over time it makes up a smaller percentage of the cap.

Comment

• With Masai's track record of retaining his own free agents, Demar's comments from yesterday and the new report that the Lakers aren't really that interested I think that there will definitely be a contract offered to Demar. Now, Masai's job is to create a contract that is tradable (i.e. it has to pass the Nene test...which was brought up on Nate Duncan's podcast this weekend).

If I'm Masai I give Demar two contract offers:

1st offer: 4yrs/115M with Player Option for year 4

this is basically the full max for 4 (7.5% raises). It would be structured like this (starting salary is from Basketball Insiders):

Year 1: 25 894 800
        Year 2: 27 836 910
        Year 3: 29 779 020
        Year 4: 31 721 130

Important to note that this is more than the max that any other team could offer since they could only have 4.5% raises. Its a difference of about 4.6M. The main advantage for DD is of course the player option in year 4.

2nd offer: 5yr/131M with fifth year ETO of 9.7M

Best to explain this contract and its structure by showing the yearly payment:

Year 1: 25 894 800
        Year 2: 27 836 910
        Year 3: 25 894 800
        Year 4: 25 894 800
        Year 5: 25 894 800

Essentially the first two years are full max and then years 3-5 are at Year 1 max. Overall it is about 17M less than the full max. I came up with the ETO by determining how much money DD would leave on the table in years 3-4 and summed it together. So regardless he would make the 4 year max one way or another.

I know some people are just dead against giving DD any kind of money, but i think we need to be realistic here. Both contracts, at least in my opinion are tradable. the 4 year deal would likely become a 3-year deal in reality and the 5-year contract would have him making 25.9M in 2019 and 2020 when literally no one knows how insane the cap be and worst case there's the ETO. There is also the possibility of Masai adding trade-kickers to the deal to sweeten the pot even more.

Thoughts anyone?

Comment

• Gambino wrote: View Post
          No can only increase by 7.5% year over year so that would be impossible.

I think the best way to structure DD's deal would be to have it flat so that over time it makes up a smaller percentage of the cap.
          Cap isn't guaranteed to go up every year. It'll go up this summer and next, then it's projected to go down the summer after that.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
            Cap isn't guaranteed to go up every year. It'll go up this summer and next, then it's projected to go down the summer after that.
            Yeah I know that.

But to be honest I think the cap isn't going to go down. When those initial projections were made things like jersey sponsors hadn't been approved yet so they league might've actually lowballed them.

Comment

• Couple things I noticed in the past few pages.

Someone said the cap is jumping the next two summers then falling. And suggested DD's contract would therefore be a bigger portion of the cap down the road. The cap will fall, but it will never get as low as it will be this summer. 89M, then 108M next summer, then 100M, 102M, 107M. All years well above what this summer looks like. So every year after this summer DD's deal will be sub-max.

Someone posted DD's last 10 games of the playoffs as though they were some great accomplishment. 51 TS%. That's terrible. No, not as terrible as his first 10 games, but that's not the point. 51 TS% is unacceptable from your supposed go to scorer.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Couple things I noticed in the past few pages.

Someone said the cap is jumping the next two summers then falling. And suggested DD's contract would therefore be a bigger portion of the cap down the road. The cap will fall, but it will never get as low as it will be this summer. 89M, then 108M next summer, then 100M, 102M, 107M. All years well above what this summer looks like. So every year after this summer DD's deal will be sub-max.

Someone posted DD's last 10 games of the playoffs as though they were some great accomplishment. 51 TS%. That's terrible. No, not as terrible as his first 10 games, but that's not the point. 51 TS% is unacceptable from your supposed go to scorer.
                I'm the one who posted that the cap would be falling after, and I've seen the projected numbers.

The post I was replying to was saying that if it's a flat contract, it's a lower percentage of the cap every year, I was saying that in the first summer of the contract, it'll peak in terms of lowest percentage of total cap if current projections hold.

Comment

haha. in one post dan explains why all of us are wrong. haha. thanks dan

Comment

Don't get me wrong not trying to justify anything, but a lot of go-to scorers see drop offs in efficiency in the playoffs. Durant is at 54% in the playoffs and 52% against Golden State in true shooting.

Comment

Don't get me wrong not trying to justify anything, but a lot of go-to scorers see drop offs in efficiency in the playoffs. Durant is at 54% in the playoffs and 52% against Golden State in true shooting.
                      54% for the entire playoffs? Not his 10 best games of the playoffs?

And note that 54% TS versus 51% TS% is pretty significant.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

54% for the entire playoffs? Not his 10 best games of the playoffs?

And note that 54% TS versus 51% TS% is pretty significant.
                        I'm fully aware of that, but basically based on what you said Durant's play against Golden State has been "unacceptable". He's also not really generating many assists.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                          I'm the one who posted that the cap would be falling after, and I've seen the projected numbers.

The post I was replying to was saying that if it's a flat contract, it's a lower percentage of the cap every year, I was saying that in the first summer of the contract, it'll peak in terms of lowest percentage of total cap if current projections hold.
                          Sure, but let's ignore the silly second jump, which is just a side effect of teams not being able to spend enough to keep up with increasing revenue. The real cap rises should look like 89, 93, 97, 102, 107. The cap adjusting itself to catch up to underspending screws up the calculation for a couple years after the jump. Looking at those numbers, DD's contract (if flat) would decrease in percentage of the cap every year. Just because we get a bonus year next summer where his contract is an even smaller percentage than it should be doesn't negate the overall point - that flat contract would be a better deal in future years than it would when signed.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I'm fully aware of that, but basically based on what you said Durant's play against Golden State has been "unacceptable". He's also not really generating many assists.
                            Well, hasn't it? It's been a terrible last few games in particular for him. And if he shot half decently he'd be in the finals right now.

The good news for the Thunder is, his terrible series isn't a cherry picked best ten games for him. Nor is his shooting outside of this bad series an embarrassment or setting historical records for terrible playoff performances.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Well, hasn't it? It's been a terrible last few games in particular for him. And if he shot half decently he'd be in the finals right now.

The good news for the Thunder is, his terrible series isn't a cherry picked best ten games for him. Nor is his shooting outside of this bad series an embarrassment or setting historical records for terrible playoff performances.
                              Like I said not trying to make an excuse, just pointing out a fact is all. DeRozan needs to bring what he brought against the Cavs way earlier in the playoffs.

Comment

• While my kid and I were watching a playoff game he made a funny comment regarding DD....and I agree totally.

"I like it when DeRozen makes a tough shot but at the same time it worries me."

Comment

Working...
                                X