Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Nope you don't.

Its not that you can't put a price on loyalty, but the fact that you can is the difference maker. When you have that option to keep a player that's been here a long time because he wants to be here, the money means squat if he doesn't.

DD had suitors but did not entertain them but signed on that dotted line while not getting the full amount which he could have.

DD had plenty of options and its not about GSW but he decided to not even entertain them.

This is the 4th biggest contract of all time because the NBA is making the most amount of money all the time, you can't compare this season with any other time in NBA history.

This isn't about getting laid, this was a business decision as well as a personal one. If DD wanted to go to GSW he would have entertained that notion and met with them but he wouldn't have gotten the money he wanted. The fact that he didn't entertain anybody is the what I am trying to tell you why loyalty is not always about the money.
    Trust me... I still don't think he gets it.

Anyone who thought it was a good idea to let Demar walk just doesn't get it.

You can beg stars to come here and they so no. You can trade for a star and they walk after they become free agents.

Here we have an all-star who wants to stay here and this guy wanted us to let him walk.

He doesn't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
      Trust me... I still don't think he gets it.

Anyone who thought it was a good idea to let Demar walk just doesn't get it.

You can beg stars to come here and they so no. You can trade for a star and they walk after they become free agents.

Here we have an all-star who wants to stay here and this guy wanted us to let him walk.

He doesn't get it.

Here's the thing... if DeMar just wanted to stay and help the team out, he could've opted into his player option. Given us cap space to work with.

He wanted to get paid, let's not pretend that wasn't part of the deal.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
        Here's the thing... if DeMar just wanted to stay and help the team out, he could've opted into his player option. Given us cap space to work with.

that shouldn't be a surprise though...he tripled his salary...opting in wasn't an option. Thats what old guys do, not guys in or entering their prime. Team building is MU's job, Demar is here to play. Why should he sacrifice to make MU's job easier? And even if he had opted in, it would have only given us around 5M in extra space no? Not really alot to work with. He wanted to get paid for sure, but if he wanted to get paid elsewhere, I'm sure that could have happened easily enough given the contracts being handed out. But he didn't even entertain the option. Didn't go through the motions to see what was out there. He met with Masai, they struck a deal and he signed on the dotted line.

Comment

Shhhh. That ruins the "He's so loyal!" narrative that seems to be trendy right now. I didn't expect him to opt-in, nor did I expect him to take a drastic paycut. Dude got paid, as was his goal setting out this summer, and people need to stop dressing that up as loyalty.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
            that shouldn't be a surprise though...he tripled his salary...opting in wasn't an option. Thats what old guys do, not guys in or entering their prime. Team building is MU's job, Demar is here to play. Why should he sacrifice to make MU's job easier? And even if he had opted in, it would have only given us around 5M in extra space no? Not really alot to work with. He wanted to get paid for sure, but if he wanted to get paid elsewhere, I'm sure that could have happened easily enough given the contracts being handed out. But he didn't even entertain the option. Didn't go through the motions to see what was out there. He met with Masai, they struck a deal and he signed on the dotted line.
            I know that DeMar opting in didn't make sense... I'm not saying he should've.

I'm just saying we shouldn't act like taking a $139 million contract was a huge sacrifice on his part either. Dude got PAID.

Comment

I know that DeMar opting in didn't make sense... I'm not saying he should've.

I'm just saying we shouldn't act like taking a $139 million contract was a huge sacrifice on his part either. Dude got PAID.
              agreed. There was no sacrifice as far as I'm concerned. I thought he was a 22-25M player at best before free agency hit. I'm not as concerned about the contract now, given whats been going around, but still alot of money for him.

Comment

• Loyalty is a two-way street. DeMar has been extremely loyal to the Raps, and for good reason.

Comment

• Sinbad wrote: View Post
                  Shhhh. That ruins the "He's so loyal!" narrative that seems to be trendy right now. I didn't expect him to opt-in, nor did I expect him to take a drastic paycut. Dude got paid, as was his goal setting out this summer, and people need to stop dressing that up as loyalty.
                  well he went into unrestricted free agency for the first time and never even entertained other teams. That is loyalty is it not? If he had been out taking meetings for 3 or 4 days he would have gotten shit for that no doubt on these forums. If he had accepted another teams offer, we'd be bashing the guy for longer than we have been bashing Bargs (but Bargs deserves it cause he was lazy and didn't care). Demar wants to be here and that's a nice change for an all-star. Hopefully Lowry thinks the same next year.

Comment

• So, what I've learned in the last week:

Loyalty gets you the Raptors roster.

Disloyalty gets you the Warriors roster.

How sure are we loyalty is a good thing?

Comment

• Sinbad wrote: View Post
                      Not surprised you would question his loyalty. Don't take it personally. I just don't think you get it either.

Demar was going to get paid either way. It would've been 100+ million or so for 4 years instead of 5. He only wanted to remain a Raptor and didn't even hear other team's pitches.

Lowry listened to other teams when he became an unrestricted free agent a few years ago remember? So it wouldn't even be a big deal if he listened to a few other offers. Instead he signed on the dotted line right away.

Demar made it clear that he only wanted to be back here. Spin it however you like, but people who get it, know what loyalty looks like.

Comment

So, what I've learned in the last week:

Loyalty gets you the Raptors roster.

Disloyalty gets you the Warriors roster.

How sure are we loyalty is a good thing?
                        lol, what?

Comment

well he went into unrestricted free agency for the first time and never even entertained other teams. That is loyalty is it not? If he had been out taking meetings for 3 or 4 days he would have gotten shit for that no doubt on these forums. If he had accepted another teams offer, we'd be bashing the guy for longer than we have been bashing Bargs (but Bargs deserves it cause he was lazy and didn't care). Demar wants to be here and that's a nice change for an all-star. Hopefully Lowry thinks the same next year.
                          Didn't Demar have other team meetings lined up after the raptors meeting in case talks 'broke down' ?

Comment

lol, what?
                            It was mostly sarcasm, but the point is this:

Since when is loyalty better than just being really, really good? I'd rather have greedy players who are amazing than loyal players who are just good.

Comment

It was mostly sarcasm, but the point is this:

Since when is loyalty better than just being really, really good? I'd rather have greedy players who are amazing than loyal players who are just good.
                              But we are not in any position to have the amazing greedy players flock to this city yet, so we take what we can get. Did you forgot how fucked up this franchise was just 3 years ago?! we were the lowest of the low.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                                But we are not in any position to have the amazing greedy players flock to this city yet, so we take what we can get. Did you forgot how fucked up this franchise was just 3 years ago?! we were the lowest of the low.
                                That's right Hotshot. We took what we could get. You nailed it. And so did Demar. Not unexpected. Don't blame him. Don't blame the Raptors. We were the best fit for him and we wanted him back. But all this sicophantic talk about the incredible loyalty... Fucking motivational posters and shit...

Comment

Working...
                                X