Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    I agree, the only comment I'd add is that Raptors fans know maybe the main thing DeMar has done is just get better every single year. Last year was a career year and this year he's better. From that perspective his excellence is sustainable, we all know this has to drop off a bit, which is fine. 25 ppg at above average efficiency would be plenty awesome over a full season.

The one thing DeMar is still lacking is just the wow factor in his play making. ESPN will always love the guys able to make jaw dropping, highlight-worthy individual athletic plays. Just ask Tim Duncan and the Spurs.

The positive for Raptors fans is that the lack of recognition motivates DeMar. Keep it coming.
    I agree with this, and disagree with it at the same time. Yes, he doesn't play an attractive style of basketball. But that's not the one thing he is lacking. He still needs to work on his defense. His hot start has overshadowed how poor he has been on that end, which isn't a charge that you could ever lay at Tim Duncan's door. Up until he retired this off-season, Duncan was never anything close to a net negative at the defensive end, which is remarkable given how drastically the league has changed for big men over his career.
    Last edited by Sinbad; Tue Nov 15, 2016, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
      Yeah this is going to be an issue for him in terms of marketability along with the fact that US Media likes to pretend the Raptors don't exist.

DeRozan himself compared his game to Alex English recently, just gets to his spots and gets his points nothing super flashy about it. Although some of those turnaround fadeaways are amazing to watch.
      Being on the Raptors never held Vince Carter back from being one of the most marketable players in basketball during his heyday. The US media made sure of it.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        The one thing DeMar is still lacking is just the wow factor in his play making. ESPN will always love the guys able to make jaw dropping, highlight-worthy individual athletic plays. Just ask Tim Duncan and the Spurs.
        DeRozan's certainly had his share of jaw-dropping highlights. I mean, he's no Blake Griffin. But he's definitely a few notches ahead of Duncan on the 'boring spectrum'.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
          Derozan is definitely a front runner right behind Harden and Westbrook through 9 games, but we don't know if he'll stay there.
          None of them will. You should have one of the very best records in the league in order to win MVP, and I don't see Houston or OKC having that.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
            None of them will. You should have one of the very best records in the league in order to win MVP, and I don't see Houston or OKC having that.
            Since 1982-83, every MVP winner has come from a team that won at least 50 games in the regular season, not counting the 98-99 and 11-12 lockout-shortened seasons. If Houston's offense is as monstrous as it projects to be, they'll have a shot at eclipsing 50 wins, which should keep Harden in the conversation. That he could conceivably lead the league in assists and scoring once DeRozan cools off is special stuff. OKC, I'm not so sure of. That's a lot to ask of Westbrook.
            Last edited by Sinbad; Tue Nov 15, 2016, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Which is why it seems unsustainable. DeRozan's doing things that's never been done in the history of the sport.

I'm not complaining. I'll take every win, but there's this nagging feeling that DeRozan's dominance won't last. The law of averages will see to it.
              Sure its obvious he won't finish with record breaking mid range shooting and 34 points per game, but the sample size is getting big enough that its becoming clear he took a significant step.

From "3rd or 4th banana", "chucker", "debrick" "fringe all star"

To "lead dog" "alpha" "top 15/20 in the world all around"
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                Sure its obvious he won't finish with record breaking mid range shooting and 34 points per game, but the sample size is getting big enough that its becoming clear he took a significant step.

From "3rd or 4th banana", "chucker", "debrick" "fringe all star"

To "lead dog" "alpha" "top 15/20 in the world all around"
                It's been 9 games. The sample size is not "big enough" to draw drastic conclusions about his production going forward when there are 7 seasons of hard data that say otherwise. If you want to narrow it further, take the previous 3 seasons where he made incremental improvements. Either way, its too soon to vault him into top 15/20 in the world all around. Enjoy what he's doing, but let's not get carried away.

Comment

• Sinbad wrote: View Post
                  It's been 9 games. The sample size is not "big enough" to draw drastic conclusions about his production going forward when there are 7 seasons of hard data that say otherwise. If you want to narrow it further, take the previous 3 seasons where he made incremental improvements. Either way, its too soon to vault him into top 15/20 in the world all around. Enjoy what he's doing, but let's not get carried away.
                  key words were "getting" big enough and "becoming" clear..it's almost there. Maybe top 15 20 was premature but the eye test is telling me this isn't the same guy, cause even for a hot streak, its his best hot streak ever by far. but if you know of other 3 week stretches where derozan shot 53% and had a 3 point gap in ppg over everyone else in the league, I'd love to hear about them

Comment

key words were "getting" big enough and "becoming" clear..it's almost there. Maybe top 15 20 was premature but the eye test is telling me this isn't the same guy, cause even for a hot streak, its his best hot streak ever by far. but if you know of other 3 week stretches where derozan shot 53% and had a 3 point gap in ppg over everyone else in the league, I'd love to hear about them
                    Yeah, I think it is important to be clear here, both sides are correct to some degree.

Yes, this is a hot streak, in all likelihood. There is very little chance DeRozan has developed a consistent historically deadly midrange shot regardless of how contested the shots are. He will almost certainly regress somewhat from his current performance.

No, this is not JUST a hot streak. DeRozan has had hot streaks before. Nothing like this though. His approach looks different, his shots are coming under control every time - he is getting space in ways he's never done before, even if it is not space laterally (defenders are close) he is elevating on his jumper such that he's not really being contested as well as it might seem, and he's seemingly indifferent to the defender just getting a hand up. He's playing in a way that is going to force defenders to be physical with him to throw off his shot. Which, judging by his history at the foul line, is a very, very good thing. And simply put, he's never remotely approached this level of sustained success. His only other 9-game 20+ point streak came last December. He broke 30 twice in those 9 games. This is an entirely different thing than we've ever seen from him before.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Nobody is disputing that this is his best hot streak. But you're willing to throw out years of patterns and trends for a 3 week scoring binge? Be realistic. The "eye test" is showing that he's hitting tough, contested shots at an unfathomable clip given his high USG%-- which won't last. He's doing things to create space better than he ever has, which can continue longterm. But the FG% will come down over time.

Comment

• Tonight's game against the Cavs will be a possible mini-test to gauge how real and sustainable Demar's improvement might be for the playoffs. He had his worst game of the season vs. the Cavs, who have game-planned as much as any team recently to stop DD. DeMar is rested and should be looking for revenge.

If he has another bad game against the Cavs, some doubts may creep in again that it's a regular season type of improvement that can be slowed down again, with the increased game-planning and familiarity that he will see in the playoffs.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          Tonight's game against the Cavs will be a possible mini-test to gauge how real and sustainable Demar's improvement might be for the playoffs. He had his worst game of the season vs. the Cavs, who have game-planned as much as any team recently to stop DD. DeMar is rested and should be looking for revenge.

If he has another bad game against the Cavs, some doubts may creep in again that it's a regular season type of improvement that can be slowed down again, with the increased game-planning and familiarity that he will see in the playoffs.
                          DD scored 32points on 12/28 shooting with 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. That wasn't his worst game. His worst game was against Sacramento.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            DD scored 32points on 12/28 shooting with 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. That wasn't his worst game. His worst game was against Sacramento.
                            Good point - I was thinking efficiency wise and the fact that DD didn't look that comfortable with his shot. But yeah, it's great when an "off-night" is 32 pts on 28 shots.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                              Good point - I was thinking efficiency wise and the fact that DD didn't look that comfortable with his shot. But yeah, it's great when an "off-night" is 32 pts on 28 shots.
                              BBR has this thing called a Game Score.. been too lazy to figure out how they define it. Anyway the Cavs game was ranked 8th out of 9 games (Sacramento was 9th). So I guess technically it was one of his worst games after all, just not the worst.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                BBR has this thing called a Game Score.. been too lazy to figure out how they define it. Anyway the Cavs game was ranked 8th out of 9 games (Sacramento was 9th). So I guess technically it was one of his worst games after all, just not the worst.
                                Considering he's had 8 really good games and 1 not good game, it's splitting hairs.

Comment

Working...
                                X