Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    This. I like DeMar, but even I was surprised that he elevated his game in the playoffs. I think contrary to popular belief, players like DeMar who aggressively seek out contact and have a great in-between game, can actually be very successful in the playoffs.

What's crazy is if you take out his 1st game - the clunker, every game counts obviously but his per game stats:

6 games played
    40.7 minutes
    25.5 points
    4.5 rebounds
    4.0 assists
    1.3 steals
    0.2 blocks
    2.5 turnovers

17.3 FGA
    40.4% FG

2.3 3PA
    42.9% 3PT

11.8 FTA
    88.7% FT

56.6 TS%
    1.47 pps

I actually believe we can see numbers like this from DeMar next season. Hopefully without the horrid 40.4% FG and we probably wont see 42.9% FG from 3 but somewhere like 35% would be great. Everything else is perfect.

Comment

• Found this on Bleacher Report.

A superstar was born in the playoffs ...

Kathy Willens/Associated Press

... and his name is DeMar DeRozan. While the Raptors are off to an early vacation, the 24-year-old shooting guard showed playoff audiences on national TV—a first for the Raptors all season—that he's the real deal. His stat line against the Nets read as follows: 23.9 points, 4.1 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.1 steals per game, while averaging 10.1 makes from the foul line on nearly 90 percent shooting. With the NBA's starting shooting guard position lacking consistency, DeRozan is a unique premium in the league.

"He just used to come off screens and shoot it, but now he's making plays off the dribble," Raptors coach Dwane Casey said after Game 6. "He's making plays, teams are trying to double team him and he's still making the pass. He's getting used to the playoff physicality and he's guarding the best offensive player. He's taking that assignment now. His growth from the last three years has been unbelievable and the sky's the limit for him."

Jack Armstrong, Raptors TV color analyst for TSN, recalls the local criticism he heard over the hefty four-year, $40 million contract extension DeRozan signed in Nov. 2012. But Armstrong, who calls DeRozan "Double D" during broadcasts, felt the deal was worth it.

"I'll be honest with you, [former GM] Bryan Colangelo nailed it on that contract," Armstrong said. "The Raptors are getting every penny's worth from him. And here's the other thing: he doesn't cheat the game. He doesn't cheat you as a fan, he doesn't cheat his coaches, he doesn't cheat his teammates. He's a man's man, he works, he loves it, he puts the time in."

One difficult move he's begun to perfect: a spin into a fadeaway while cleverly using pump fakes if necessary—very Kobe-esque—and then being able to get the call.

"That's repetition and just adding something new to your game every time you're in the gym," DeRozan said. "Kobe is one of my favorite players. I watched him when I was a kid, especially being an L.A. kid. You don't see too many players use the pump fake as much as I do. It's a very effective move, especially if you knock down a couple jump shots. You can go toward that and draw fouls, get to the free throw line."

This week, Bleacher Report caught up with DeRozan's trainer since 2009, Chris Farr, who's now an assistant and the player development coach for the Denver Nuggets, on what areas he'll work on with the emerging star this summer.

Defense

"I'm from Oakland, so I grew up under the school of Gary Payton. DeMar needs to become more of a defensive stopper; it's going to happen. He has a lot of pride. He's straight out of Compton, so he has it in him. It's just you've got to keep pulling it out. We'll do defense to offense drills. So you're doing defensive slides, but you're coming back into a shot, into a real game situation. Everything triggers off of defense. Gary might work with him a bit, too."

Ball-handling

"I want him to get to the rim and go strong, which he does and elevates, but in fewer dribbles. So if he can take one dribble from the three-point line and be all the way to the paint, and get to the rim and take the contact and finish, he would improve his game that much more."

Intelligence

"Now they're running more people at him, so we're going to look at some tape. The better his team moves the ball, the better he'll become—and the game will become easier for him. I told him this: When he sees the game in slow motion, that's when he starts to get better."

So, we can expect DD to work on his D, ball handling, and court vision and awareness this summer.

Comment

• Jordan Evans wrote: View Post
        Found this on Bleacher Report.

A superstar was born in the playoffs ...

Kathy Willens/Associated Press

... and his name is DeMar DeRozan. While the Raptors are off to an early vacation, the 24-year-old shooting guard showed playoff audiences on national TV—a first for the Raptors all season—that he's the real deal. His stat line against the Nets read as follows: 23.9 points, 4.1 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.1 steals per game, while averaging 10.1 makes from the foul line on nearly 90 percent shooting. With the NBA's starting shooting guard position lacking consistency, DeRozan is a unique premium in the league.

"He just used to come off screens and shoot it, but now he's making plays off the dribble," Raptors coach Dwane Casey said after Game 6. "He's making plays, teams are trying to double team him and he's still making the pass. He's getting used to the playoff physicality and he's guarding the best offensive player. He's taking that assignment now. His growth from the last three years has been unbelievable and the sky's the limit for him."

Jack Armstrong, Raptors TV color analyst for TSN, recalls the local criticism he heard over the hefty four-year, $40 million contract extension DeRozan signed in Nov. 2012. But Armstrong, who calls DeRozan "Double D" during broadcasts, felt the deal was worth it.

"I'll be honest with you, [former GM] Bryan Colangelo nailed it on that contract," Armstrong said. "The Raptors are getting every penny's worth from him. And here's the other thing: he doesn't cheat the game. He doesn't cheat you as a fan, he doesn't cheat his coaches, he doesn't cheat his teammates. He's a man's man, he works, he loves it, he puts the time in."

One difficult move he's begun to perfect: a spin into a fadeaway while cleverly using pump fakes if necessary—very Kobe-esque—and then being able to get the call.

"That's repetition and just adding something new to your game every time you're in the gym," DeRozan said. "Kobe is one of my favorite players. I watched him when I was a kid, especially being an L.A. kid. You don't see too many players use the pump fake as much as I do. It's a very effective move, especially if you knock down a couple jump shots. You can go toward that and draw fouls, get to the free throw line."

This week, Bleacher Report caught up with DeRozan's trainer since 2009, Chris Farr, who's now an assistant and the player development coach for the Denver Nuggets, on what areas he'll work on with the emerging star this summer.

Defense

"I'm from Oakland, so I grew up under the school of Gary Payton. DeMar needs to become more of a defensive stopper; it's going to happen. He has a lot of pride. He's straight out of Compton, so he has it in him. It's just you've got to keep pulling it out. We'll do defense to offense drills. So you're doing defensive slides, but you're coming back into a shot, into a real game situation. Everything triggers off of defense. Gary might work with him a bit, too."

Ball-handling

"I want him to get to the rim and go strong, which he does and elevates, but in fewer dribbles. So if he can take one dribble from the three-point line and be all the way to the paint, and get to the rim and take the contact and finish, he would improve his game that much more."

Intelligence

"Now they're running more people at him, so we're going to look at some tape. The better his team moves the ball, the better he'll become—and the game will become easier for him. I told him this: When he sees the game in slow motion, that's when he starts to get better."

So, we can expect DD to work on his D, ball handling, and court vision and awareness this summer.
        So glad to read this.

The haters here have been beating their heads against a wall trying to explain the reasons behind the hate. Here is his personal trainer saying the exact same things.

Comment

• Eddie Johnson giving DeRozan lots of love today on the HoopsHype.com rumour section.

Can't embed the video, unfortunately.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            Every single one of those plays a drive, and yet he settles for so many jumpers every game.
            I doubt a jump shot would make anyone's top 10 plays of the season, well, maybe Novak!

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              So glad to read this.

The haters here have been beating their heads against a wall trying to explain the reasons behind the hate. Here is his personal trainer saying the exact same things.
              The "non-haters" have been saying the same thing that DeRozan needs to improve in these areas.

You seem to have the false pre tense that DeRozan supporters think he is a perfect player. He's not, he has flaws, but the difference between me and you is that I realize that his positives far outweigh his negatives and there are few players in the NBA producing more value per dollar.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                The "non-haters" have been saying the same thing that DeRozan needs to improve in these areas.

You seem to have the false pre tense that DeRozan supporters think he is a perfect player. He's not, he has flaws, but the difference between me and you is that I realize that his positives far outweigh his negatives and there are few players in the NBA producing more value per dollar.
                Your original response was much cuter.

The DeRozan supporters have a false pre tense that DeRozan critics think he is a useless player. He's not, he has positive attributes, but the difference bewteen me and you is that I realize his negatives can cost games against the best.

Instead of making a blanket statement about the value of his contract, why don't you back it up with evidence? Because the only way there are few players producing more value per dollar is if your calculation is based on total points.

Comment

The DeRozan supporters have a false pre tense that DeRozan critics think he is a useless player. He's not, he has positive attributes, but the difference bewteen me and you is that I realize his negatives can cost games against the best.

Instead of making a blanket statement about the value of his contract, why don't you back it up with evidence? Because the only way there are few players producing more value per dollar is if your calculation is based on total points.
                  Don't wanna get in the middle of you two - I know you both love this

But, the bold can be said about any player who's not perfect.
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                    Don't wanna get in the middle of you two - I know you both love this

But, the bold can be said about any player who's not perfect.
                    That is true.

However when those negatives are poor handle, poor decision making, inability to stop his man, well, those negatives are just glaring.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                      DeRozan haters be like:

Before the playoffs: DeRozan's game is going to get exposed in the playoffs. He's going to struggle against the physicality of the game. Playoffs is a diff animal.

After the Nets series where DeRozan puts up all-star numbers: Let's keep in mind that the Nets have awful, decrepit wing defenders.

And Derozan lovers be like:

Oh what's that, someone's pointing out legitimate reasons why we should maybe settle down our inflation of Demar's status a little? Time to get super defensive!

"Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• That's hilarious that his post-season is being presented as a star performance. He shot terribly and was just awful most of the series on offense, and was the single biggest problem with our defence, no matter who he was defending. He shot a lot of free throws, but with a good number of those coming in end of game intentional fouling. He did a good job getting to the line and converting, don't get me wrong, but his aggressiveness is being oversold because of those additional "unearned" free throws.

6 of his 14 in the second game, 4 of his 13 in the fifth game. Good on him for converting, but he's not generating those attempts on his merits.

Hey, I love that he's getting this sort of recognition. Means better return if he gets moved. And I hope he does. These playoffs exposed him more than they elevated him.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Any NBA player's negatives can cost games, especially when put in a starring role. Russell Westbrook is a top 5 player and can literally chuck you out of a win or chuck you into one.

I don't think YOU think DeRozan is useless. I think you underrate him. And some of the trade suggestions I see from you and others for DeRozan are an indication of that. When I read that someone wants to basically trade DeRozan straight up for Dion Waiter or Luol Deng, I scratch my head. That just shows zero comprehension of the value he brings to the team.

How about you disprove it? There are very few players on non-rookie deals that produce at DeRozan's volume on the offensive side of the ball for the same or less money. He has a bargain contract.

Comment

The "non-haters" (as I guess we're calling them, LOL) have never had an issue with these flaws, or needing to improve them. I'm not sure anyone has stated Demar is a finished product ... far from it actually. I suppose it's the fact you must "hate" on a guy for having flaws.

Comment

• Anyway on a non-argumentative note, if DeRozan improves those three things that his trainer discussed, we're talking about a guy that may actually be worth a near-max contract at the end of his current one when he's hitting his prime at 26/27.

DeRozan is really good at protecting the ball, but if he can improve his handling and IQ more, when he gets doubled he can ATTACK it either with a quick dribble move or the pass. This is something that only elite players are capable of doing consistently, so I'd be elated if he could get to that level.

His defense is average/slightly above-average right now, but like his trainer said it needs to get better. Given his physical tools there's no reason why he shouldn't be a great defender. His lateral quickness isn't the greatest, but he has good length for a two-guard and is very athletic. Coming out of college he was supposed to have potential as an elite defender (I think that was a bit overstated, but I digress...)

Adding strength will help him out too (although it would help more if he just wasn't playing small forward). It comes down to putting in a greater, more consistent effort on that end and mentally preparing himself to defend and on how to defend on each play. People say defense is just all about effort but it isn't. I remember watching a video of Andre Iguodala commentating on how he defends different guys, and this brain is working like a damn rocket-scientist while he's playing defense. I'd say defense is an equal combination of IQ, athleticism and effort (with a little bit of luck as well), with effort being the limiting factor.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                And Derozan lovers be like:

Oh what's that, someone's pointing out legitimate reasons why we should maybe settle down our inflation of Demar's status a little? Time to get super defensive!

Well if we're going to generalize ...

And the haters be like:

Oh whats this, someone is supportive of one of our players who is getting recognition throughout the league for being an up and coming star ... better shit all over him to show off how much I know about basketball.

Comment

Working...
                                X