Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    That's hilarious that his post-season is being presented as a star performance. He shot terribly and was just awful most of the series on offense, and was the single biggest problem with our defence, no matter who he was defending. He shot a lot of free throws, but with a good number of those coming in end of game intentional fouling. He did a good job getting to the line and converting, don't get me wrong, but his aggressiveness is being oversold because of those additional "unearned" free throws.
    I'm not sure the bold is true. DD was able to hide on Livingston for most of the series. The single biggest problem with out defense was that we could only stop JJ by throwing doubles at him, which our guys aren't used to doing, and the Nets have 5 smart, capable scorers on the floor at once, so doubles are especially hurtful against them.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      That's hilarious that his post-season is being presented as a star performance. He shot terribly and was just awful most of the series on offense, and was the single biggest problem with our defence, no matter who he was defending. He shot a lot of free throws, but with a good number of those coming in end of game intentional fouling. He did a good job getting to the line and converting, don't get me wrong, but his aggressiveness is being oversold because of those additional "unearned" free throws.

6 of his 14 in the second game, 4 of his 13 in the fifth game. Good on him for converting, but he's not generating those attempts on his merits.

Hey, I love that he's getting this sort of recognition. Means better return if he gets moved. And I hope he does. These playoffs exposed him more than they elevated him.
      No one thinks he's a star like Kobe, LeBron etc..

DanH wrote: View Post

6 of his 14 in the second game, 4 of his 13 in the fifth game. Good on him for converting, but he's not generating those attempts on his merits.

Hey, I love that he's getting this sort of recognition. Means better return if he gets moved. And I hope he does. These playoffs exposed him more than they elevated him.
      And if you take out game 1, he shot around 41% which is not bad for the playoffs against a physical experienced Nets team, I guess.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• This is why I'm a fan of DeRozan.

The way I see it there's just not a lot of wings I'd prefer to have as my top scoring option (not even saying DeRozan is ideal as that role, but few guys are):

- Durant
        - LeBron
        - Melo
        - Kobe (when healthy)
        - Harden (debatable actually because for some reason his game does not translate to the playoffs, see the last two seasons, also a -CANCER on defense)
        - George

Two of those guys are the top two players in the league and the other 4 are basically unattainable.

So yes, waiter, I'll have the DeMar with a side of DeRozan for $9.5M please.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
          Well if we're going to generalize ...

And the haters be like:

Oh whats this, someone is supportive of one of our players who is getting recognition throughout the league for being an up and coming star ... better shit all over him to show off how much I know about basketball.
          If pointing out that Brooklyn doesn't have a single plus defender at the wing position is "shitting all over him", then yes, I guess that's what I'm doing.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            And Derozan lovers be like:

Oh what's that, someone's pointing out legitimate reasons why we should maybe settle down our inflation of Demar's status a little? Time to get super defensive!

Lol someone has to play defense until Demar works on it this summer :P
            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

If pointing out that Brooklyn doesn't have a single plus defender at the wing position is "shitting all over him", then yes, I guess that's what I'm doing.
              well to be fair, their move was to double DD every time he got the ball.

and i don't know how accurate this is, but espn's rpm have pierce, garnett and ak as + defenders

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
              LOL
              "Bruno?
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                Any NBA player's negatives can cost games, especially when put in a starring role. Russell Westbrook is a top 5 player and can literally chuck you out of a win or chuck you into one.

I don't think YOU think DeRozan is useless. I think you underrate him. And some of the trade suggestions I see from you and others for DeRozan are an indication of that. When I read that someone wants to basically trade DeRozan straight up for Dion Waiter or Luol Deng, I scratch my head. That just shows zero comprehension of the value he brings to the team.

How about you disprove it? There are very few players on non-rookie deals that produce at DeRozan's volume on the offensive side of the ball for the same or less money. He has a bargain contract.
                Bold 1: If you're going to take a swipe at my ideas, at least make sure they are mine.

Bold 2: I didn't make the statement. Usually one who makes a claim should back it up.... unless you're the government of course.

Bold 3: Bahahaha, nice change of topic. You know there are two sides to the ball correct? This isn't football.

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                  If Demar ever actually gets super, defensively, then I will instantly join those who get super defensive about him
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                    well to be fair, their move was to double DD every time he got the ball.

and i don't know how accurate this is, but espn's rpm have pierce, garnett and ak as + defenders

LOL
                    Cmon, it wasn't even close to every time.

Pierce and AK were barely ever guarding him, and I would argue that at this point they aren't plus defenders anymore, and I'd further argue that if they are plus defenders, their plus-ness would be against 3s and 4s, not against a quick, athletic 2
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

If Demar ever actually gets super, defensively, then I will instantly join those who get super defensive about him
                      And in addition to this, if in the course of a team run with the ability to cut lead to a single possession game, he refrains from jacking looooong 2s with 17 seconds left on the shot clock, I'll tattoo his face on chest.

Comment

Cmon, it wasn't even close to every time.

Pierce and AK were barely ever guarding him, and I would argue that at this point they aren't plus defenders anymore, and I'd further argue that if they are plus defenders, their plus-ness would be against 3s and 4s, not against a quick, athletic 2
                        Yeah, you're right on both counts.

Still, if we're going to talk about the quality of the defense, it's important to mention that they did throw a lot of doubles at him, which would have hurt him in certain areas, statistically. Unfortunately, DD couldn't capitalize on those opportunities for his team mates, but I think if he improves his passing, not only will he help the team, his own percentages will improve.
                        "Bruno?
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          And in addition to this, if in the course of a team run with the ability to cut lead to a single possession game, he refrains from jacking looooong 2s with 17 seconds left on the shot clock, I'll tattoo his face on chest.
                          Yeah. God I was going crazy about that. Completely kills our momentum. Maybe he just got caught up in the moment, but less of that all year please.
                          "Bruno?
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Except "super, defensively" is a subjective measure, and every defender has breakdowns. I think a lot of the problem here is that both sides only see plays that justify their point on DeMar, which will continue even as DeMar does better.

Overall, DeMar is a very good offensive player who can sometimes take bad shots, and a league average defensive player who is capable of both breakdowns and lack of good defensive instinct but also is committed to the rotation defense that has been driven into the team by Casey.

I liked the quote by the personal trainer, because it indicates that it is believed that DeMar can fix or at least improve on those things that are currently considered to be his greatest weaknesses. If that is the case, I wouldn't be trading him even for what his value currently is, even with the issues the Raptors have with both him and Ross on the floor at the same time against big wings.
                            That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                              Except "super, defensively" is a subjective measure, and every defender has breakdowns. I think a lot of the problem here is that both sides only see plays that justify their point on DeMar, which will continue even as DeMar does better.

Overall, DeMar is a very good offensive player who can sometimes take bad shots, and a league average defensive player who is capable of both breakdowns and lack of good defensive instinct but also is committed to the rotation defense that has been driven into the team by Casey.

I liked the quote by the personal trainer, because it indicates that it is believed that DeMar can fix or at least improve on those things that are currently considered to be his greatest weaknesses. If that is the case, I wouldn't be trading him even for what his value currently is, even with the issues the Raptors have with both him and Ross on the floor at the same time against big wings.
                              I think in deciding between Ross and DD, it's important to consider DD's work ethic.

People here rave about Ross like he's got unlimited potential, but he's only 18 months younger than Demar. I could be completely wrong about Ross, but I don't ever hear about him being a gym rat the way I do Demar.

Who's actually more likely to take significant strides over the next few years?
                              "Bruno?
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                                I think in deciding between Ross and DD, it's important to consider DD's work ethic.

People here rave about Ross like he's got unlimited potential, but he's only 18 months younger than Demar. I could be completely wrong about Ross, but I don't ever hear about him being a gym rat the way I do Demar.

Who's actually more likely to take significant strides over the next few years?
                                I'd say Ross is more likely to take "significant" strides, just because DeMar is already a top player in this league and doesn't have as far to climb. But Ross still has a fair way to go just to get to DD's level.
                                I'd keep them both for at least another year, maybe two, unless you are absolutely blown away by an offer. Then you see which one is the extraneous part.
                                That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Working...
                                X