X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    How so?
    Watching DD for the entire season?

I think he's below average but not terrible and I hope he can improve next season
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
      Sooo true! lol

All of a sudden the Nets have awful, decrepit wing defenders?? I think the haters are getting delusional..
      All of a sudden? The nets were one of the worst defensive teams in the entire league this season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Love how DD's still holding down being 7th in playoff scoring and 1st in playoff FT makes and attempts despite being eliminated in the first round.

Comment

• Jordan Evans wrote: View Post
          Love how DD's still holding down being 7th in playoff scoring and 1st in playoff FT makes and attempts despite being eliminated in the first round.
          7th in scoring per game, 16th in total scoring, which I assume is what you meant what with the "despite being eliminated" comment. He is tops among players who only played 1 round, so there is that. 4th in FTM, 5th in FTA is still very impressive.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• So..

DeMar is cold!

He posted this after nets beat Miami: http://instagram.com/p/nuh_z2qhj-/

and this after Miami series-clinching win: http://instagram.com/p/n_ql_Aqhku/

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              7th in scoring per game, 16th in total scoring, which I assume is what you meant what with the "despite being eliminated" comment. He is tops among players who only played 1 round, so there is that. 4th in FTM, 5th in FTA is still very impressive.
              Demar's overall offence was SUPER ELITE.

Once again: 28.3% USG @ 113 ORTG.

Rk Player USG% ORtg MP
              --- -------- ------- ------ -----
              1 LeBron James 31.6 129 39.9
              2 Dwight Howard 28.2 117 38.5
              3 Blake Griffin 28.2 114 36.4
              4 DeMar DeRozan 28.3 113 40.3

5 Russell Westbrook 34.0 113 39.6
              6 Kevin Durant 31.8 112 44.6
              7 James Harden 28.5 112 43.8

**crickets**

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Rk Player USG% ORtg MP

**crickets**
                Completely agree. I have no issues with his offensive production overall. I dislike his choices on offense (he is SO skilled offensively that he could be even more lethal if he was even halfway intelligent with his shot choice), but my complaints with his game are primarily on the defensive end. He was very good offensively in the series for sure.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Rk Player USG% ORtg MP

**crickets**
                  It's worth noting that Lowry was basically at Demar's level here, with USG 26.6. and ORtg 112. Pretty much identical.

And if we're being honest about his production this series, which was excellent, we should also make note of the fact (as I did a few posts ago) that Brooklyn doesn't have anything close to a defensive stopper at any position.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• 4,000 posts in and we still can't settle on some middle ground with DeRozan.

He wasn't 'abysmal' in the first round... that's silly. So is suggesting that he was an overall net negative for the Raptors due to his D in the first round or that his fall off defensively was because he suddenly stopped giving a shit about it during his first trip to the postseason. On the other hand, suggesting that he was one of the four or five best offensive players across the board in the first round is a little silly too. Advanced metrics should be used to supplement a much larger opinion on a player, not be used as the crux of it. We can't just look at a couple of numbers and decide what his performance was like - these stats do have their limitations. And I'm talking about both sides of the argument here.

His D fell off a cliff after making some improvements this season, and the Nets were definitely trying to exploit him at that end in the first round. Brooklyn's offensive strategy at times certainly seemed to be getting the ball to whoever DD was guarding and then going around him. And it wasn't just JJ either; he struggled to stay in front of anyone during those 7 games. Offensively, he struggled for a few stretches but was also fantastic at times as well. He was up and down over the 7 games, which is probably what we should have been expecting from a young player getting his feet wet in the playoffs for the first time. The good news is that based on his history, he's almost guaranteed to be better the next shot he gets at it.

Comment

• you guys are a bunch of goons
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• I don't know why anyone would expect Demar to be able to effectively guard Joe Johnson, especially in the post. I really didn't think that Demar's defense was terrible in the playoffs, he just had to deal with a severe mismatch. I thought the effort was there, but nonetheless there were plays when I thought he could do better (mostly against alan anderson). But, Demar, for the most part, had the most responsibility of any player on this team on BOTH ends of the floor. He was expected to score and stop one of the most potent weapons that the Nets had.

Lowry also had this responsibility, and surprisingly, despite being a supposedly really good defender, got lit up by Deron Williams. Nobody cares though, as Lowry is so analytically correct. lol.

Demar's inability to effectively guard Joe Johnson isn't a slight on Demar, no more than it would be a slight on Ross. Neither are big enough to deal with Johnson, that's just the way it is.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          I don't know why anyone would expect Demar to be able to effectively guard Joe Johnson, especially in the post. I really didn't think that Demar's defense was terrible in the playoffs, he just had to deal with a severe mismatch. I thought the effort was there, but nonetheless there were plays when I thought he could do better (mostly against alan anderson). But, Demar, for the most part, had the most responsibility of any player on this team on BOTH ends of the floor. He was expected to score and stop one of the most potent weapons that the Nets had.

Lowry also had this responsibility, and surprisingly, despite being a supposedly really good defender, got lit up by Deron Williams. Nobody cares though, as Lowry is so analytically correct. lol.

Demar's inability to effectively guard Joe Johnson isn't a slight on Demar, no more than it would be a slight on Ross. Neither are big enough to deal with Johnson, that's just the way it is.
                          This is one thing that people need to look at when saying guys like Salmons and Ross did a better job on JJ. Those guys gave us ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on the offensive end. Even Vasquez was rendered completely useless offensively when asked to guard Joe in game 7.

There aren't a lot of players in the NBA that can lockdown the best player on the other team and still be the best offensive player on the floor. In fact there is only one who can do it consistently, LeBron.

You typically don't ask your top scorer to guard the best offensive player on the other team because of the amount of energy they're going to have to expend on defense. This is why when superstars match up with each other you rarely see them guard each other until the 4th quarter.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                            This is one thing that people need to look at when saying guys like Salmons and Ross did a better job on JJ. Those guys gave us ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on the offensive end. Even Vasquez was rendered completely useless offensively when asked to guard Joe in game 7.

There aren't a lot of players in the NBA that can lockdown the best player on the other team and still be the best offensive player on the floor. In fact there is only one who can do it consistently, LeBron.

You typically don't ask your top scorer to guard the best offensive player on the other team because of the amount of energy they're going to have to expend on defense. This is why when superstars match up with each other you rarely see them guard each other until the 4th quarter.
                            There's a lot of gray area between "lock down" and "require instantaneous double team help."

And I am aware that Casey putting DD on JJ was asking for trouble (Casey can be an idiot after all, and before every game I was asking for DD to be subbed out early so he could get more minutes against the Nets' bench). But the reality is that DD was the worst of every defender thrown at JJ (besides Patterson), and he is probably the strongest of that group (besides maybe Salmons, but I mean, Salmons you guys). And you know what? The team doesn't need DD to carry the offense. There are a lot of talented guys on this team that can contribute. But if DD expends a bunch of energy on offense and therefore gives back a bunch of points defensively because it's just so much to ask, maybe that's a stupid way to run things. Which, yes, I realize is a criticism of Casey and not DeMar, but so be it. Point stands that DD was unsatisfactory on D in the role he played.

I didn't need lock down defense. I needed some semblance of defense. I did not get it.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• So Battier and LeBron didn't play a semblance of D on Joe Johnson either? Because he put up almost the exact same numbers with greater efficiency in the Heat series...

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                Completely agree. I have no issues with his offensive production overall. I dislike his choices on offense (he is SO skilled offensively that he could be even more lethal if he was even halfway intelligent with his shot choice), but my complaints with his game are primarily on the defensive end. He was very good offensively in the series for sure.
                                It will come Dan, paience buddy. He's 24.....and rumours, already back in the gym training. You know who else did that?

I like DD, and my feeling is that you can teach shot selection, and yu can improve a teams spacing and cohesion....but you can't teach aggression, you can't teach effort, and you can't teach a guy to draw fouls....these are intangibles and he has them all.

So while I would never refute what you guys say about his poor shot selection, his JV look offs etc..... I see um too, I just can't bring myself to be anything but optimistic about him. Lats year (the year before) I was skeptical....hell 3 years ago I called him Harold Miner when he seemed more interested in slam dunk contests than ball (my bad). I'm a tough sell, and this kid is selling me now.

We got a good one there.

Comment

Working...
                                X