No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has nothing to do with the fact that your name is McHappy.

I still want an explanation for how Nick Young is more talented than DeRozan. I might give you J.R. Smith, but NY wtf? Just because he goes off offensively once in a while?

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
      Has nothing to do with the fact that your name is McHappy.

I still want an explanation for how Nick Young is more talented than DeRozan. I might give you J.R. Smith, but NY wtf? Just because he goes off offensively once in a while?
      You're not fun to converse with. Sorry.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        You're not fun to converse with. Sorry.
        Neither are you.

Comment

• Wow, Nick Young, Swagy P has more talent than DD

If this is Not the definition of HATING on Player then I don't know what is

Even Swagy P, The Joke of Los Angels, does not think he has more talent that DD

Comment

• "A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice." --Malcolm Gladwell at #SSAC

https://twitter.com/TrueHoop/status/43674231409623040

If you've read his books you see how practice and repetition develop into instincts, and that becomes the foundation for basketball IQ.

Now, creativity is something I think that is not going to be developed by rote practice. Steve Nash is a maestro because he sees things other players don't, like Wayne Gretzky. Like CP3. Like Magic. Like Pistol Pete.

Demar has never had a hugely creative game, but he has shown more and more flashes of the creative switch turning on. But I don't think he'll ever have that natural flair like KD that allows for the possibility of creating something unique every time down the floor.

And that's okay. If Demar can develop his crafty old man game, like Paul Pierce or later-Kobe/later-MJ, his efficiency will improve and he will soak up scoring possessions for us that would be beyond the skill curves of our low-usage/high-efficiency players like Amir. That's all we can really ask.

If Demar can get to a 55% TS I think that should silence the last of his critics, because you really can't ask for much more. It would be like complaining that Andrea never became Dirk.

Practice can only take you so far. It can turn a good player into very good, but I don't think it can make a very good player Great (with a capital G).

Comment

• What's funny is there are people here who would've shipped out DeRozan for an expiring just as recently as last season.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                "A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice." --Malcolm Gladwell at #SSAC

https://twitter.com/TrueHoop/status/43674231409623040

If you've read his books you see how practice and repetition develop into instincts, and that becomes the foundation for basketball IQ.

Now, creativity is something I think that is not going to be developed by rote practice. Steve Nash is a maestro because he sees things other players don't, like Wayne Gretzky. Like CP3. Like Magic. Like Pistol Pete.

Demar has never had a hugely creative game, but he has shown more and more flashes of the creative switch turning on. But I don't think he'll ever have that natural flair like KD that allows for the possibility of creating something unique every time down the floor.

And that's okay. If Demar can develop his crafty old man game, like Paul Pierce or later-Kobe/later-MJ, his efficiency will improve and he will soak up scoring possessions for us that would be beyond the skill curves of our low-usage/high-efficiency players like Amir. That's all we can really ask.

If Demar can get to a 55% TS I think that should silence the last of his critics, because you really can't ask for much more. It would be like complaining that Andrea never became Dirk.

Practice can only take you so far. It can turn a good player into very good, but I don't think it can make a very good player Great (with a capital G).
                Bold: Exactly.

And it is why DD will always be admired and respected by his teammates and peers but will never possess the same level of influence that Tim Duncan will have on San Antonio.

We've come full circle.

Comment

• Just digging up some old McHAPPY posts (most of those are from 3-4 years ago lol). Interesting stuff, seems like your views on DeMar have changed a lot.

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  I guess I am being overly critical. My fear is the team is building around a guy who could be a Ronnie Brewer.
                  Yikes... Ronnie Brewer?

FWIW, I'm 32 and have a 5 year old samsung pay-and-talk phone.

My concerns are still there about his potential long term. Those concerns are he may not be the all-star or solid starting 2 guard everyone, myself included, had hoped for. I really do hope my concerns are all for not.

The fact he is scoring only 13.1 a game on this team is not a good thing, IMO.
                  Well no need to be concerned because he is both a solid starting 2-guard (one of the best) and an all-star

Because he is 21 and still relatively raw. I started a similar thread a few weeks back and was wondering many of the things you are as well. The jist of my thread is he may not be a borderline all-star or all-star. That is still more than a possibility but given his stretches play at times this year, I would not be in a rush to move him or even entertain the thought unless an amazing deal came along.
                  Nah he's an all-star man don't worry.

As long as Bargnani is here, DD will not be able to play the three unless he starts throwing down bowls of 'roids for breakfast and slurping bottles of HGH for lunch followed by a box of protein bars for supper and catching and skinning live baby deer before bed.

I really like DD's game as a 2 guard. The last 2 months - at 21 years of age - his averages have been right there with OJ's first 2 seasons - albeit when OJ was 21. OJ did his thing over 2 seasons and DD is just 2 months in. Consistency is important and only time will tell if DD can sustain this. His head appears to be on much straighter than OJ's.
                  Well I never.... If you liked his game back then how do you not like it now?

That is a tough question. DeMar has really shown great strides this year and he has always been known as 'raw' and a 'project'. However, I'm going with Ed. The reason why is he was projected to be a top five pick after his FR and 5-8 after SO years. His drop was nothing more than luck for us Raptors fans.
                  Yeah a touch off with this one, Ed definitely didn't turn out better than DD. No worries though, a lot of Raps fans thought he would.

I glanced through the comments but didn't see those references. I definitely don't see Kobe material from DD. VC had way more natural talent and ability than DD, the difference was Vince didn't work. I doubt DD reaches VC at his best but the years he was around 24 points are possible as with rebound totals, in time, but the passing/assists and 3 pt shooting are unlikely to be reached (the three point shooting may be a pleasing in disguise as it is easier to chuck three's than drive and get to the line). I think an explosive Rip Hamilton might be a good comparison which is not a slap in the face since the guy helped win a championship and was an All-Star.
                  More explosive Rip Hamilton, damn pretty accurate. Contributed to a championship and an all-star, nice. And wow his lack of 3pt shooting could actually be a plus, weird...

If DeMar was 20/5/5 on O and continued to improve on D, anyone who wanted more would be an unrealistic fool, in my humble opinion.
                  Funny, DeMar basically is exactly that right now... So I guess you are (in your own words mcHAPPY) an "unrealistic fool.

Comment

Just digging up some old McHAPPY posts (most of those are from 3-4 years ago lol). Interesting stuff, seems like your views on DeMar have changed a lot.

Yikes... Ronnie Brewer?

Well no need to be concerned because he is both a solid starting 2-guard (one of the best) and an all-star

Nah he's an all-star man don't worry.

Well I never.... If you liked his game back then how do you not like it now?

Yeah a touch off with this one, Ed definitely didn't turn out better than DD. No worries though, a lot of Raps fans thought he would.

More explosive Rip Hamilton, damn pretty accurate. Contributed to a championship and an all-star, nice. And wow his lack of 3pt shooting could actually be a plus, weird...

Funny, DeMar basically is exactly that right now... So I guess you are (in your own words mcHAPPY) an "unrealistic fool.
                    Bahahhahahaha

A lot of good insight in those posts.

Thanks for taking time to dig up.

He is still horrible on D. He is the weak link and the new Jose Calderon trying to be hid. He is getting better but not there yet.

And anyone who has followed me all these years should know by now, I am a fool.

Comment

Bold: Exactly.

And it is why DD will always be admired and respected by his teammates and peers but will never possess the same level of influence that Tim Duncan will have on San Antonio.

We've come full circle.
                      Sure, but I think you're arguing in almost black-and-white terms when you say Nick Young has more talent than Demar. You make it sound like Young is all-talent/no-effort and Demar is all-effort/no-talent, when the reality is that there is a fluid spectrum. I tend to agree that Demar wasn't naturally blessed with high creativity and IQ, but you muddle your point (and sound pretty biased) when you use Nick Young as a counter.

Nick Young as a 19-year-old at USC performed worse than Demar as a 19-year-old at USC. He was drafted lower. As a nearly 22-year-old draftee, DX had this to say about him:

Young has solid all-around ability, but we’re still wondering what exactly his bread and butter is. He doesn’t stick out as the type of player with all-star potential at the next level, and he still hasn’t quite carved out a niche for himself as a go-to guy at the college level. Still, Young is the type of player that GMs will have a hard time passing up when searching for a complete role player.
                      About a close to 20-year-old Derozan, DX said:

A freak athlete, DeRozan has some natural offensive talent, but he’s essentially a blank canvas in terms of what kind of player he can be in the long run. Whoever picks him will obviously need to be patient, although he may more upside that arguably any wing player in this draft.
                      Now, you can argue that that forecast was based mainly on Demar's athleticism, but then you must ask whether talent has anything to do with the ability to utilize athleticism in an effective way. There have been lots and lots of freak athletes who were ineffective; and effort/work wasn't the only reason why. Is the ability to effectively use athleticism not a talent? Is talent purely mental? I don't think you can separate the two with a neat dividing line.

Comment

Bahahhahahaha

A lot of good insight in those posts.

Thanks for taking time to dig up.

He is still horrible on D. He is the weak link and the new Jose Calderon trying to be hid. He is getting better but not there yet.

And anyone who has followed me all these years should know by now, I am a fool.
                        Unfortunately DeRozan is not horrible on D. No advanced stat agrees with that information, and even watching him would tell you that he is at least average defensively. Obviously assigning him to guard the other team's best player is a death sentence because he's not a stopper, but his overall defensive game is solid. I don't have access to the synergy database, but I did see someone post the stats before, and DeRozan actually ranks very highly in most defensive situations (first in isos as we all know). The only area where he is below average defensively in terms of PPP is post-up defense (which he wouldn't have to do often if we had a real SF).

Obviously these stats are more favourable because Ross usually gets the tougher defensive assignment, but the same is true for most starting SGs like DeRozan. Most of them have their fellow wing guard the other teams' best perimeter threat. George does it for Lance Stephenson, LeBron does it for Wade, Ariza does it for Beal, Miles does it for Waiters, Kawhi does it for Manu, Parsons does it for Harden, Iguodala does it for Klay, etc.

Comment

• scraptor wrote: View Post
                          sure, but i think you're arguing in almost black-and-white terms when you say nick young has more talent than demar. You make it sound like young is all-talent/no-effort and demar is all-effort/no-talent, when the reality is that there is a fluid spectrum. I tend to agree that demar wasn't naturally blessed with high creativity and iq, but you muddle your point (and sound pretty biased) when you use nick young as a counter.

Nick young as a 19-year-old at usc performed worse than demar as a 19-year-old at usc. He was drafted lower. As a nearly 22-year-old draftee, dx had this to say about him:

About a close to 20-year-old derozan, dx said:

Now, you can argue that that forecast was based mainly on demar's athleticism, but then you must ask whether talent has anything to do with the ability to utilize athleticism in an effective way. There have been lots and lots of freak athletes who were ineffective; and effort/work wasn't the only reason why. Is the ability to effectively use athleticism not a talent? Is talent purely mental? I don't think you can separate the two with a neat dividing line.
                          boom

Comment

Unfortunately DeRozan is not horrible on D. No advanced stat agrees with that information, and even watching him would tell you that he is at least average defensively. Obviously assigning him to guard the other team's best player is a death sentence because he's not a stopper, but his overall defensive game is solid. I don't have access to the synergy database, but I did see someone post the stats before, and DeRozan actually ranks very highly in most defensive situations (first in isos as we all know). The only area where he is below average defensively in terms of PPP is post-up defense (which he wouldn't have to do often if we had a real SF).

Obviously these stats are more favourable because Ross usually gets the tougher defensive assignment, but the same is true for most starting SGs like DeRozan. Most of them have their fellow wing guard the other teams' best perimeter threat. George does it for Lance Stephenson, LeBron does it for Wade, Ariza does it for Beal, Miles does it for Waiters, Kawhi does it for Manu, Parsons does it for Harden, Iguodala does it for Klay, etc.
                            LMAO that's just wrong Klay Thompson is a terrific defender man. Did you not see him guard Chris Paul during the playoffs
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                              LMAO that's just wrong Klay Thompson is a terrific defender man. Did you not see him guard Chris Paul during the playoffs
                              Settle down.

Made a mistake there my bad. Klay isn't a terrific defender (he's a good one though), but yeah Warriors do use him to guard top level PGs (I think that has more to do with Curry sucking defensively than Klay being elite).

Comment

Settle down.

Made a mistake there my bad. Klay isn't a terrific defender (he's a good one though), but yeah Warriors do use him to guard top level PGs (I think that has more to do with Curry sucking defensively than Klay being elite).
                                Yeah Curry is god awful on defense ahaha Im sure Kyle Anderson can blow by him LMAO
                                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                                X