No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want to pay Demar $20M +, unless he improves even more before the opt out option, but trading him would be kinda stupid IMO.

Comment

• Okay.. guys are realizing we have log jam at the 2 and need a 3 or a 4. There's quite the nice bunch of guys at the 3 coming up in FA, and we need to decide who our 6th man will be (Ross or Lou). If we sign Lou, Ross is expendable. If not, we have cap for a 3/4 in a few guys. We could trade Demar only if a star 3 or 4 is coming back and if we use Ross at the 2 in the fashion we used him before Demar went down (Catch and shoot ala Korver in ATL). If not, wait till FA and nab up a cheap glue 3 and 4.
      Axel wrote:
      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
      KeonClark wrote:
      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
      KeonClark wrote:
      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
        I don't want to pay Demar $20M +, unless he improves even more before the opt out option, but trading him would be kinda stupid IMO.
        So you'd prefer to lose him for nothing then. Strange.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Well, that is if DD wants $20+. He probably does but there's always the option.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            I don't see how trading him can make the team better. Obviously that depends on the return, but given his player option if we were to maximize said return we would have to move him this season, as next season he would basically be a rental for any team acquiring him. Moving Demar this season takes this team a step back or two. It puts us in Pelicans territory record wise probably, or Milwaukee. The record during his absence shows this. But of course this doesn't factor the return for trading him. So what is a realistic return for Demar? My guess is a lesser player or two and a non-lottery pick. Not really moving the needle. Is there a lottery team out there that may see itself as a playoff team by adding Demar, and thus willing to trade a good lottery pick? I don't know, maybe, but if adding Demar elevates them to the playoffs then that pick is no longer lottery (unless they have another teams lottery pick). Now if Demar could be traded for a top tier PF on a long term deal or with Bird Rights, then maybe it makes sense. But I don't see a possibility of trading Demar and making this team better.

He is our second best player and one of the leaders of the club. Trading him now due to a player option sends a terrible signal to the rest of the team IMO. I could understand it if we just got a new GM, who wants to put his stamp on the team and is willing to enter a mini-rebuild. But not at the moment, when the team has improved over the last two seasons and with little to no reason to think the team isn't going to improve even marginally going forward. We are trending up, not down, there is no reason to be trading our best players.

I just don't subscribe to the idea of losing players for nothing, unless it's clearly a player with no future on the club, which isn't the case of Demar. I think back to Utah, who let both Millsap and Jefferson walk for nothing, which I thought was strange given they were going with the youth movement and I would imagine could have gotten a few picks out of those guys. But for whatever reason, they didn't even attempt to trade them, if I am not mistaken. Now that was strange. There would be nothing strange about not trading Demar and seeing where free agency goes.

Also, Demar has the rest of the season and next season to get even better, and may yet prove he is worth a fat contract. He proved he was worth the $9.5M deal he signed with Colangelo, and I'm not giving up on him yet. The possibility of a $20M + per year contract is a little scary, I admit, but if the cap is going to skyrocket as expected then it probably isn't so bad.

And if the team were to approach all expiring contracts with the idea of we have to trade him or lose him for nothing, then we basically end up with a turnstile of personnel with no roster continuity or ability to grow and evolve as a team. We are not rebuilding here, and we need more than guys on rookie scale deals and guys on contracts after rookie scale deals. We cannot fear free agency, nor can we fear giving players a raise. He is one of the better SG's in the game right now. So yeah, I'm not sure $20M + is a good idea at the moment, but I'm also not sure that he won't be worth it when the time comes or that he will even command that figure. I'm patient in this regard, and would like to see him play out his contract. And if he leaves, then that gives us more cap space to go after other players.

Comment

• I was just reading a suggestion for Kirilenko... I guess Fields and a pick gets it done. he can D up and run the floor with a bit of intelligence.....

Jussayin

Comment

• DeMar is the first Allstar this team has had that openly said he wants to retire a Raptor. Why the hell are we talking about trading him? Additionally, what message does that send to Lowry? The first big free-agent to sign back with the club, and we trade away his best friend on the team? Jesus christ. You're a bunch of Colangelos.

Comment

• Pretty amazing that the defense suddenly improved again right when DeRozan came back from injury.

On the other hand, right when DeRozan came back from injury we started playing some pretty crummy offensive teams.

In terms of the pay-or-trade debate, in theory, DeRozan should be worth more to this team as currently constructed than to any other team. So if we aren't willing to pay him 20M, then I don't think anyone should be. In reality, some GMs be crazy, so maybe that price does get raised beyond reason. I don't think you trade him now though, I have a hard time seeing any scenario that you don't make your team worse for the short term, and get anything but a risky long-term proposition back. His value simply isn't all that high compared to what he brings to the team at the moment.
                  That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                    Pretty amazing that the defense suddenly improved again right when DeRozan came back from injury.

On the other hand, right when DeRozan came back from injury we started playing some pretty crummy offensive teams.

In terms of the pay-or-trade debate, in theory, DeRozan should be worth more to this team as currently constructed than to any other team. So if we aren't willing to pay him 20M, then I don't think anyone should be. In reality, some GMs be crazy, so maybe that price does get raised beyond reason. I don't think you trade him now though, I have a hard time seeing any scenario that you don't make your team worse for the short term, and get anything but a risky long-term proposition back. His value simply isn't all that high compared to what he brings to the team at the moment.
                    Playing the Bucks, Philly and Pacers helped more.

Comment

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
                      DeMar is the first Allstar this team has had that openly said he wants to retire a Raptor. Why the hell are we talking about trading him? Additionally, what message does that send to Lowry? The first big free-agent to sign back with the club, and we trade away his best friend on the team? Jesus christ. You're a bunch of Colangelos.
                      Why should anyone get browny points for saying they like it here? The only thing that should matter is on-court performance and roster fit.

As for Lowry's point of view, we already traded his best friend, Rudy. And it made the team better. If moving DeRozan does the same, Lowry would have nothing to complain about.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                        I was just reading a suggestion for Kirilenko... I guess Fields and a pick gets it done. he can D up and run the floor with a bit of intelligence.....

Jussayin
                        He is a broken man.

He is not going to push raps over the top.

I'd keep the pick.

Comment

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
                          DeMar is the first Allstar this team has had that openly said he wants to retire a Raptor. Why the hell are we talking about trading him? Additionally, what message does that send to Lowry? The first big free-agent to sign back with the club, and we trade away his best friend on the team? Jesus christ. You're a bunch of Colangelos.
                          Colangelo had an affinity for one dimensional scorers.

Most of us do not.

Stating that because DD likes TO as a reason he should be kept at all costs is, sadly, reminiscent of abused spouse syndrome (i.e. I can't do any better so I am going to stay in current situation).

I don't advocate giving demar away but if you can get solid assets before having to likely pay $20+m, I can't see how you don't do it.

Problem I have is I can't find a trade parter - what team would DD benefit right now when looking at fit, stage of contention, salary cap, assets to give up? I can't find one I think is reasonable.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Most of us do not.

Stating that because DD likes TO as a reason he should be kept at all costs is, sadly, reminiscent of abused spouse syndrome (i.e. I can't do any better so I am going to stay in current situation).

I don't advocate giving demar away but if you can get solid assets before having to likely pay $20+m, I can't see how you don't do it.

Problem I have is I can't find a trade parter - what team would DD benefit right now when looking at fit, stage of contention, salary cap, assets to give up? I can't find one I think is reasonable.
                            It would have been in OKC, their way to fix their fuck up of trading Harden. We'd get Ibaka back and whatever else would have to happen to match salaries and what not. Waiters there now so if there was ever a 1% chance of that happening it's now less than 1.
                            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                            Because its 2015

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Most of us do not.

Small market teams that are itching to make the playoffs for some revenue: Minnesota, Sacramento, Charlotte, Detroit, Utah, and New Orleans may all be interested.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Small market teams that are itching to make the playoffs for some revenue: Minnesota, Sacramento, Charlotte, Detroit, Utah, and New Orleans may all be interested.
                                If Demar is moved it'll be a three way trade not straight up.

Comment

Working...
                                X