Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Matt Devlin yesterday after Derozans miss from the position where he shoots 25% this season: "It's a shot he usually makes"
    Ya that was weird. They have been saying the same thing with some of Lou's really bad shots. Homer announcers

Comment

• CNinja26 wrote: View Post
      Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. I think part of his problem is that he takes bad shots and misses them (he thinks he's more talented than he actually is). He clearly has a decent stroke, so if he can just not force the issue and take good, open looks when he gets them, I think he can clean up his numbers.

Do I have confidence that he will? Not really. You can't fix stupid - I just don't think the guy is all that smart to make better decisions. He had a ton of time sitting on the bench to "observe" the game, and listen in on coaches meetings. Then he comes back and continues the same shit? He's clearly pretty dumb. Not trying to be an asshole (I'm sure he's a great guy), but you can tell the really good players are quite intelligent and don't need coaches to tell them what's a good/bad play to make.
      I think, from comments DD and Lowry have made, that they view the shooting % criticisms as analytics-based doubters/haters. "That's my game" "It's my job to take those shots" etc. are basically how they look at it. His overall impact is fine as long as he doesn't take too many of them, but it is frustrating to watch DD & Lowry shoot 30% and take more shots than the three frontcourt starters who shoot 60%+ in the same game.

Anyway, the development in DD's rebounding and playmaking is a big positive.

A certain not-very-well-liked-local-reporter pointed out the JJ creates some spacing issues for the guards because he can't stretch the D like Ross can, which is true. Ultimately it'll make the most sense to have JJ and PP in the starting lineup.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
        Ya that was weird. They have been saying the same thing with some of Lou's really bad shots. Homer announcers
        http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...244227&page=28
        Spurs fans agree:
        "Be glad you heard Mike Brown. I had to listen to the Toronto guys on NBA TV. Some New Yorker that was a Bill Raferty starter kit. Awful"
        "It was funny hearing him trying to be objective but then become a blatant homer whenever the Raptors made a nice play."
        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          DeRozan's shooting just 32% outside of 10 feet this season. We're not talking about a minor slump. He's just a poor shooter, period.

Based on the numbers alone, every mid-range jumper he takes is a bad one (because he's going to miss far more than he makes).
          He doesn't get good looks in this system. I've said it dozens of times already: under a good offensive coach, you will see this guy's FG% rise. Take it to the bank fellas. Just take a look at Monta Ellis' fluctuation in FG% when he was under different systems.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            DeRozan's shooting just 32% outside of 10 feet this season. We're not talking about a minor slump. He's just a poor shooter, period.

Based on the numbers alone, every mid-range jumper he takes is a bad one (because he's going to miss far more than he makes).
            The eye test tells me Derozan is good shooting OPEN shots, in RHYTHM. You can just see in the set up when it's a 50% or better probability. Unfortunately his fg% is effected drastically by forced jumpers and one on one's where he's contested...yeah basically forced jumpers.

He's honestly better off behind the line, 30% on 3's is better than 35% on 2's.

His true calling though is playing like a James Johnson, drive, kick, draw fouls, shoot 2 or 3 OPEN jumpers a game. He cares way too much about being the leading scorer on the team, I'd much rather a Demar Derozan averaging 16 points, 6 assists, 6 rebounds. I'm sure the team would too deep down.

What concerns me is Casey. I heard a couple games ago he praised Demar's playmaking but then said "we don't want that to come at the expense of scoring. He's a scorer first"

Fuck Casey, enough with your damn role cards. Best shot available, period.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Demar takes a lot of the teams bad shots for them.
              After they've failed to create anything it's him usually taking he shot. He needs a better system, or a legit number 1 to play behind because he's capable of being an efficient player

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                Matt Devlin yesterday after Derozans miss from the position where he shoots 25% this season: "It's a shot he usually makes"
                Matt Devlin is a retard.
                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• draps wrote: View Post
                  Demar takes a lot of the teams bad shots for them.
                  After they've failed to create anything it's him usually taking he shot. He needs a better system, or a legit number 1 to play behind because he's capable of being an efficient player
                  I can't say for sure, but a lot of shots I don't like from DeMar come when he dribbles the ball up himself and takes a tough/contested J after lots of dribbling and without even attempting a pass. It's the most frustrating when the Raps are on a bit of a run coming from good ball movement and team play. DeMar will randomly just decide a given possession is his time to be the man.

I even prefer Lowry's early-shot-clock pull-up three's, which he probably isn't shooting at a great percentage by now, but at least serve the purpose of keeping the defense off balance. DeMar's tough J's generally look like an easy possession for the defense.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                    I can't say for sure, but a lot of shots I don't like from DeMar come when he dribbles the ball up himself and takes a tough/contested J after lots of dribbling and without even attempting a pass. It's the most frustrating when the Raps are on a bit of a run coming from good ball movement and team play. DeMar will randomly just decide a given possession is his time to be the man.

I even prefer Lowry's early-shot-clock pull-up three's, which he probably isn't shooting at a great percentage by now, but at least serve the purpose of keeping the defense off balance. DeMar's tough J's generally look like an easy possession for the defense.
                    lowry's down to around 33% on 3's now, he shot 38% last season and nearly a 35% career 3 point shooter,
                    derozan is down to exactly 20% which is disappointing because his 3 had been steadily climbing prior to this season.
                    not arguing any points just putting the stats out there, do with them what you will

Comment

DeMar's tough J's generally look like an easy possession for the defense.
                      Random Stat: He's getting blocked 1.1 times per game this year as opposed to 0.7 last season.

Comment

• cinqueda wrote: View Post
                        lowry's down to around 33% on 3's now, he shot 38% last season and nearly a 35% career 3 point shooter,
                        derozan is down to exactly 20% which is disappointing because his 3 had been steadily climbing prior to this season.
                        not arguing any points just putting the stats out there, do with them what you will
                        That's actually encouraging, both players should likely pull up closer to their career average as the season wears on. I'm not concerned where a guy is at currently, they almost always slowly regress or rise to their mean.

Comment

I thought DD's game against LAC was one of the best of his career. He played within the offense, got his own points within the flow, worked hard with and without the ball, made his teammates better and was engaged defensively. His shooting was either attacking or playing to his strength (ie: catching off a curl and getting good lift).

Against the Spurs, it was back to I'm-gonna-get-mine-come-hell-or-high-water-DeRozan, forcing his dribble and shots all over the place. His shot selection was terrible. He consistently dribbled into double and triple man coverage.

Those two games were Jekyll & Hyde for him; good DeRozan and bad DeRozan. I have no idea anymore whether that's on him, DC or a combination of both of them.

During and after the LAC game, I was ordering extra servings of crow, happily watching him play the way every 'hater' has been hoping he'd play. Then, he reverts back to an unnecessarily forced ISO game, with a ton of horrendous shots and bad turnovers. If he could consistently play like he did against LAC, he'd be a perennial all-star and long-term cornerstone of this franchise. If not, I'd be looking to sell high after his next LAC-type game (the offseason, realistically).

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            I thought DD's game against LAC was one of the best of his career. He played within the offense, got his own points within the flow, worked hard with and without the ball, made his teammates better and was engaged defensively. His shooting was either attacking or playing to his strength (ie: catching off a curl and getting good lift).

Against the Spurs, it was back to I'm-gonna-get-mine-come-hell-or-high-water-DeRozan, forcing his dribble and shots all over the place. His shot selection was terrible. He consistently dribbled into double and triple man coverage.

Those two games were Jekyll & Hyde for him; good DeRozan and bad DeRozan. I have no idea anymore whether that's on him, DC or a combination of both of them.

During and after the LAC game, I was ordering extra servings of crow, happily watching him play the way every 'hater' has been hoping he'd play. Then, he reverts back to an unnecessarily forced ISO game, with a ton of horrendous shots and bad turnovers. If he could consistently play like he did against LAC, he'd be a perennial all-star and long-term cornerstone of this franchise. If not, I'd be looking to sell high after his next LAC-type game (the offseason, realistically).
                            Coach K saw Derozan and thought facilitator. Casey sees Jordan

Comment

• I used to think DD was good at open/in the flow shots. But he really isn't.

30% of his jump shots have been open (4+ feet of open space). He has shot 40% eFG% on them. That's an ORTG of 80, very poor. Most of those have been midrange jumpers.

And 20% of his jump shots are catch-and-shoot, typically what you get in the flow of the offence. He has shot 36% on those (36% from 2, 25% from 3).

I think it is time to start facing the reality that DD is NOT a good shooter, except at the free throw line. He excels at drawing fouls, and hitting his free throws, and he's good in the lane (56% eFG% within 10 feet of the hoop), but he's terrible anywhere else.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                I used to think DD was good at open/in the flow shots. But he really isn't.

30% of his jump shots have been open (4+ feet of open space). He has shot 40% eFG% on them. That's an ORTG of 80, very poor. Most of those have been midrange jumpers.

And 20% of his jump shots are catch-and-shoot, typically what you get in the flow of the offence. He has shot 36% on those (36% from 2, 25% from 3).

I think it is time to start facing the reality that DD is NOT a good shooter, except at the free throw line. He excels at drawing fouls, and hitting his free throws, and he's good in the lane (56% eFG% within 10 feet of the hoop), but he's terrible anywhere else.
                                But haven't you heard Leo Rautins? When you come back from an injury (especially if it's your first one!?) there's going to be ups and downs! A month later!

Comment

Working...
                                X