X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• special1 wrote: View Post
    Read my post above...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry man, just pure spin, not really a valid argument. *I should've used the word "angle", not "spin" originally.

If he's so good at what he does, why can't he get open more? If he's so good at what he does, why doesn't he hit those covered shots at a better rate? If he's so good, why can't he find open teammates for easier shots if Ds key in on him so much?

The point is that he's not successful enough at what he does to take the amount of covered shots (what many would probably classify as unnecessary/forced shots) that he does.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Feb 13, 2015, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      He's right though. There isn't really a positive spin on taking the lowest proportion of open shots.
      And no... He's not right at all. He's just taking a negative spin....what's his percentage on those shots? Who's second on the list? It's pretty useless if we don't even know what proportion or how far apart he is from others....also, how many of those shots came off broken plays, etc.

I'm not shocked someone who doesn't like his game, would see that "stat"and jump all over it.....

Comment

Sorry man, just pure spin, not really a valid argument.

If he's so good at what he does, why can't he get open more? If he's so good at what he does, why doesn't he hit those covered shots at a better rate? If he's so good, why can't he find open teammates for easier shots if Ds key in on him so much?

The point is that he's not successful enough at what he does to take the amount of covered shots (what many would probably classify as unnecessary/forced shots) that he does.
        What rate does he hit those shots tho??

Comment

And no... He's not right at all. He's just taking a negative spin....what's his percentage on those shots? Who's second on the list? It's pretty useless if we don't even know what proportion or how far apart he is from others....also, how many of those shots came off broken plays, etc.

I'm not shocked someone who doesn't like his game, would see that "stat"and jump all over it.....

I'm pretty neutral on DeMar. If you told me this stat about any player in the league I'd look negatively at it. If it was DeMar's idol, Kobe, I'd still be like "dude needs to make the game easier for him and his teammates".

Comment

Lowest proportion of open shots.... Most of his shots are taken from the mid-range.... Teams know that if they give him space he'll make it.....it just means they play him tighter and he often sees 2 maybe 3 defenders.... Why would other teams scheme and place their best defenders on him if he wasn't successful at what he does?

Can someone answer that?

What % of those contested shots does he make?

If he's doubled or tripled, that means one or 2 teammates aren't . maybe he should pass more often instead of forcing up the shot?

All the good he does driving, getting fouled is pretty well offset by his overconfidence in his jump shooting abilities.

No wonder RPM has his offence as -0.01.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

What rate does he hit those shots tho??

I don't know, but he's shooting at a career-worst level from the field (and has been struggling all year, so don't blame it on an injury). Doubt that open shots are dragging it down.

Comment

I'm pretty neutral on DeMar. If you told me this stat about any player in the league I'd look negatively at it. If it was DeMar's idol, Kobe, I'd still be like "dude needs to make the game easier for him and his teammates".
                I can assure you kobe is probably always on that list.....

It's easy to make assumptions.... I've seen Demar take tough shots, make some and still have (6-9) assists 5 out of the last 8 games....

36-17

#proveem

Comment

• Is it time to trade Demar DeRozan

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  What % of those contested shots does he make?

If he's doubled or tripled, that means one or 2 teammates aren't . maybe he should pass more often instead of forcing up the shot?

All the good he does driving, getting fouled is pretty well offset by his overconfidence in his jump shooting abilities.

No wonder RPM has his offence as -0.01.
                  Lol

Maybe we should bench him and start ross like many posters wanted.... Oh wait... We tried that.

Like it or not advanced stats don't tell the whole story.... Just parts of it.

Eye test will tell you that he needs to look for his teammates more..... So did Kobe....So does Lowry and a lot of other players.

Using a stat like proportion of contested shots (does that include layups or and ones?)... Doesn't really conclude anything.... It just gives posters who already had enough negatives another stat to pull...

Congrats. Good night fellas.

Comment

• Mamba Mentality

Comment

• very cool

Comment

I can assure you kobe is probably always on that list.....

It's easy to make assumptions.... I've seen Demar take tough shots, make some and still have (6-9) assists 5 out of the last 8 games....

36-17

#proveem

That doesn't mean it's a good thing for Kobe either. Nobody should look at that stat and think anything good about any player related to that. Again, there really isn't a positive angle to it.

Comment

• Is it time to trade Demar DeRozan

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          That doesn't mean it's a good thing for Kobe either. Nobody should look at that stat and think anything good about any player related to that. Again, there really isn't a positive angle to it.
                          One last thing.... There is a positive angle tho.

Clearly, he's the type of player that commands a lot of attention... Therefore, he can take more advantage of it.... THATS A POSITIVE....if he didn't take and make tough shots, would he get this attention??? Come on guys...

Like I said (and no one responded to it)... He's had 6+ assists in 5 out of the last 8 games...

He's not a selfish player. He's actually told to be the scorer on this team (good or bad -although the results 36-17 speak for themselves).

There is a positive spin... He's not a selfish player and he's a willing passer.... He takes tough shots and makes some too....

Simple as that.

There you have it.... Let's hear all the negative spins OR how I'm some troll who doesn't watch games.....

Have at it! I'll check back in the morning lol

Last edited by special1; Fri Feb 13, 2015, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Clearly, he's the type of player that commands a lot of attention... Therefore, he can take more advantage of it.... THATS A POSITIVE....if he didn't take and make tough shots, would he get this attention??? Come on guys...

Like I said (and no one responded to it)... He's had 6+ assists in 5 out of the last 8 games...

He's not a selfish player. He's actually told to be the scorer on this team (good or bad -although the results 36-17 speak for themselves).

There is a positive spin... He's not a selfish player and he's a willing passer.... He takes tough shots and makes some too....

Simple as that.

No point responding to it yet, because based on his career, it's a fluke.

If he keeps it up for, say, the rest of the season, then it's worth talking about.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Simple as that.

No one attacked him for being selfish. You're just reaching. He gets attention because he's a threat to make those shots if left open. If he's covered and takes them, it's a bad shot. He's shooting the worst % of his career and happens to be taking the relatively least amount of open shots of any player. Yes there are moments when he has to take tough shots, but this would suggest he's taking too many.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                No point responding to it yet, because based on his career, it's a fluke.

If he keeps it up for, say, the rest of the season, then it's worth talking about.
                                Also because this stat doesn't really have anything to do with raw assist numbers. If a player gets 6 assists, but takes 25 tough shots a game, it doesn't make it justifiable that he takes so many bad shots. Either he needs to pass even more and shoot less, or be smarter about his shooting. *I mean, it's obviously better than no assists, but it's still 25 bad shots.
                                Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Feb 13, 2015, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X