No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SportVu does track contested shot FG%, but damned if I can find it.
    I think DanH has a site where it is published.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Field goal % when a defender is tight (2-4ft) or very tight (0-2ft), and % of shots contested:

DeRozan 4.0/10.7 = 37.4% ... 10.7 / 15.5 FGA/g = 69% of DeRozan's shots are contested

Harden 4.9/10.6 = 46.2% .... 4.3 / 17.9 FGA/g = 59% of Harden's shots are contested
      Butler 3.7/8.0 = 46.2% ..... 8.0 / 14.2 = 56% contested
      Klay Thompson 4.3/9.4 = 45.7% ..... 9.4/16.9 = 56% contested

The numbers are actually worse than this, given that all these guys take and make more 3s than DeMar. Drawn free throws wouldn't be accounted for here unless an And1 was made, and that is a fairly rare occurrence on jumpers.

This is just another basic common sense thing that people are turning themselves into pretzels over, so that they can rationalize specious arguments.

Open shots are good, contested shots are bad.
      Playoffs are a better indicator of team quality than the regular season.

The fact that we can't even unanimously agree on these things just shows that it's not worth arguing some points.

Comment

• Someone brought up Kobe as a comparison.
        25 games into this season, Kobe had taken 95 contested midrange jumpers.
        At that time 12 entire teams had taken less.
        The entire Hawks team had taken 63, the Rockets only 41.
        He was shooting 32.7%, league average was 33.4%.
        Over half those shots were taken with the shot clock in double digits.
        Those early jumpers he was hitting at a 31% clip,
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
          DeRozan 4.0/10.7 = 37.4% ... 10.7 / 15.5 FGA/g = 69% of DeRozan's shots are contested
          woah woah woah woah woah WOAH. Nearly 70 freaking percent? Nah, that needs to be addressed. Has JR Smith or Nick Young even taken that many contested shots?

Comment

Field goal % when a defender is tight (2-4ft) or very tight (0-2ft), and % of shots contested:

Harden 4.9/10.6 = 46.2% .... 4.3 / 17.9 FGA/g = 59% of Harden's shots are contested

The numbers are actually worse than this, given that all these guys take and make more 3s than DeMar. Drawn free throws wouldn't be accounted for here unless an And1 was made, and that is a fairly rare occurrence on jumpers.

This is just another basic common sense thing that people are turning themselves into pretzels over, so that they can rationalize specious arguments.

The fact that we can't even unanimously agree on these things just shows that it's not worth arguing some points.
            I honestly am astonished anyone has an issue with this. It's not a good thing. It's pretty simple. It shows how insanely dug in people are about this guy.

Comment

• Hmm. Is there some stat that also shows how many shots are contested AND off balance? I see DeMar doing a lot of dribble dribble dribble pull up jumpers. The contested shots that guys like Harden and Thompson make might just be shots that are taken while spotting up, while defenders close out on them well. Unless the stat accounts for that already
              OG is our king

Comment

• His shooting numbers have been horrific so far.
                "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
                  Hmm. Is there some stat that also shows how many shots are contested AND off balance?
                  No, but you should be able to find out when you break down the game film.

Comment

• http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/201942/tracking/shots/

For those interested.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Field goal % when a defender is tight (2-4ft) or very tight (0-2ft), and % of shots contested:

The worst part about the stats you posted are that they include contested dunks and contested layups and contested runners in the lane. Filter out to shots at 10+ feet away and the numbers are even uglier.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Lol! I want to see how special1 will put a positive spin. Can't even talk all the BS Demar getting a lot of attention from defenders because I'm pretty sure those other guys get way more attention. Demar isn't a good shooter, period. He's pretty much maggette 2.0
                        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          The worst part about the stats you posted are that they include contested dunks and contested layups and contested runners in the lane. Filter out to shots at 10+ feet away and the numbers are even uglier.
                          Good god, my eyes... The goggles, they do nothing!

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            I want to see the numbers.
                            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• I'm speechless.

I haven't the slightest clue where to begin.

But it is always nice to be provided evidence one is not delusional.

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                                I want to see the numbers.
                                You don't want to see the numbers.

eFG% (includes impact of 3s) on contested shots from >10ft:
                                Klay Thompson 48.7%
                                Wes Matthews 44.9%
                                James Harden 43.5%
                                Jimmy Butler 39.8%
                                Monta Ellis 36.2%
                                DeMar DeRozan 29.4%

I think I broke my brain.

Comment

Working...
                                X