Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...-nba/23322929/

Above shows Phoenix with their imbalanced roster looking at moving Dragic to get assets to get a player. DeRozan could possibly be that player, especially if Phoenix strikes out on free agent front. Suns have Green as a free agent this summer and losing Dragic would mean another scorer gone.

Raptors could get assets and more importantly free up significant cap space for 2015 or 2016. Phoenix has all their own first round picks and the Lakers 2015 protected top-5 this year, top 3 next 2 years, and unprotected in '18.

Who knows? But I think another playoff falter means changes need to be made.
    Depends on the return, as it does for everyone.

But since a championship requires so much luck, I put quite a bit of weight on being on the cusp year-in, year-out, so long as we maintain flexibility.

Not to mention what that does for the team's perception around the league and our ability to sign free agents.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
      Depends on the return, as it does for everyone.

But since a championship requires so much luck, I put quite a bit of weight on being on the cusp year-in, year-out, so long as we maintain flexibility.

Not to mention what that does for the team's perception around the league and our ability to sign free agents.
      A championship requires more talent than luck in my opinion.

Maintaining flexibility with current core is going to be pretty much nonexistent if demar opts out.

Perception doesn't matter if you don't have that flexibility/cap space.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        Last year,

the frequency distribution of open vs tight shots is basically the same (35.6/22.6 this year, 36.4/21.8 last year). Last year his eFG% of tight shots with a tight defender was 38.8% and basically accounted for half of his total FGA outside of 10 feet. He's actually attempting 1 less "contested" shot per game this year, it's just that the shots that were falling last year, aren't this year (no data beyond last year).

Personally, I think last year was the ceiling for Demar. Maybe that's fine, maybe that's not, but he may have another season or two at that level, but I don't see him getting better than that or sustaining last year's good shooting %s long term.

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/20194...Season=2013-14
        He took a lot more catch and shoot jumpers last year. 27% of his shots, versus <20% this year. Shot 48% eFG% on those shots. Versus more like 35% on pull up shots, which he has taken more of this year.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          He took a lot more catch and shoot jumpers last year. 27% of his shots, versus <20% this year. Shot 48% eFG% on those shots. Versus more like 35% on pull up shots, which he has taken more of this year.
          They run very few sets for him this year. There was a time when people made the comparison to Rip Hamilton but that comparison is non-existent now.

Comment

• Demar is still injured, he cannot push off that leg, it's a difficult situation, but he has consistently not been able to dunk easy lay ups

- Butch Carter
            Feb 6th

Via Twitter
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              but he has consistently not been able to dunk easy lay ups

- Butch Carter
              Feb 6th

Via Twitter
              Hard to believe that. He wouldnt be playing if he couldn't elevate at all. Dunking at 6'7 for an nba athlete, is a layup. And Demar showed he could elevate quite well in getting his shot off against Pierce, albeit a few days after Feb 6. Can see him not having the same explosiveness but not the ability to dunk vs easy layup.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                Hard to believe that. He wouldnt be playing if he couldn't elevate at all. Dunking at 6'7 for an nba athlete, is a layup. And Demar showed he could elevate quite well in getting his shot off against Pierce, albeit a few days after Feb 6. Can see him not having the same explosiveness but not the ability to dunk vs easy layup.
                I think it has more to do with his confidence. I don't think he has much faith in his body yet. I'm sure his healthy enough. Its upstairs that's the problem
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I think it has more to do with his confidence. I don't think he has much faith in his body yet. I'm sure his healthy enough. Its upstairs that's the problem
                  Yeah that makes more sense, coming off an injury and all.

Comment

• anyone who has had a sports related injury can tell ya there is a period of time where the trust isn't there. Look at D-Rose...its probably going to be next season before he truly is the player he was pre injury.

One of the more interesting things I have read from a sports science perspective, was about ankle injuries and how when a ligament is torn, the brain remembers it was in one place even though its slightly off, hence after one serious sprain your ankles just go over like nothing. I wonder if that relates to other areas of the body as well.
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• 49.4% true shooting before the injury
                      48.6% true shooting after the injury

Dude has just been taking a lot of garbage shots. I don't know why we aren't running him off screens the way we did last year, that Rip-Hamilton-action was pretty.

Comment

Demar is still injured, he cannot push off that leg, it's a difficult situation, but he has consistently not been able to dunk easy lay ups

- Butch Carter
                        Feb 6th

Via Twitter
                        Don't believe that one bit. DeMar is just struggling w/ his shot.

It's all about shot selection. Been saying this for a while now, DeMar needs to operate more in the post(low post/high post). He's the Raps best low post player and that's where he's at his best.
                        Last edited by The Great One; Sat Feb 14, 2015, 07:33 PM.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                          Don't believe that one bit. DeMar is just struggling w/ his shot.

It's all about shot selection. Been saying this for a while now, DeMar needs to operate more in the post(low post/high post). He's the Raps best low post player.
                          The problem with that, and related to the whole "SF" issue, is that if teams have a decently sized wing, they put him on DeMar.

He's good in the post, but hardly dominant. Mostly just very good at operating against defenders who are not as big as him. They can't plan for it to be a nightly part of their offensive strategy because it's very matchup dependent (*in the sense of it being a major part of the O).
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Feb 14, 2015, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            The problem with that, and related to the whole "SF" issue, is that if teams have a decently sized wing, they put him on DeMar.

He's good in the post, but hardly dominant. Mostly just very good at operating against defenders who are not as big as him. They can't plan for it to be a nightly part of their offensive strategy because it's very matchup dependent (*in the sense of it being a major part of the O).
                            The advantage JJ brings by drawing larger defenders helps Demar too bad the spacing is horrible with Amir and JV.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                              eFG% (includes impact of 3s) on contested shots from >10ft:
                              Klay Thompson 48.7%
                              Wes Matthews 44.9%
                              James Harden 43.5%
                              Jimmy Butler 39.8%
                              Monta Ellis 36.2%
                              DeMar DeRozan 29.4%
                              That's pretty bad, but those are literally some of the best pure shooters in the game, which makes sense why their "eFG% from >10ft" would be so high. And if we're just looking at ">10ft", then knowing Demar is one of the best (/the best) at drawing Fouls from >10ft, almost makes up for it for me. Almost.
                              Last edited by Joey; Sat Feb 14, 2015, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                                That's pretty bad, but those are literally some of the best pure shooters in the game, which makes sense why their ">10ft" would be so high. And if we're just looking at ">10ft", then knowing Demar is one of the best (/the best) at drawing Fouls from >10ft, almost makes up for it for me. Almost.
                                I might have agreed with that logic if DeMar could get his TS% near league average. Sort of like last year. You could say, yeah, as bad as his shot and his shot selection has been, the foul-drawing is bringing him at least up to average.

But at his current rate of production it's nowhere near good enough. Take a look at these starting-type guards/guard-forwards.... DeMar is 6th worst on this list.
                                http://www.basketball-reference.com/...order_by_asc=Y

I've supported DeMar for a long time but the way his game has evolved this year is definitely a big step back. Hopefully he can make some adjustments and come on strong for us down the stretch.

Comment

Working...
                                X