Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jrice9 wrote: View Post
    This is why I want a breakdown of his shots monthly.

Yes he had a fairly low shooting percentage in October- November but in that period he averaged nearly 8FTA per game vs 6.3 in January-February, March its 8.1 per game.

The result is his true shooting percentage is significantly different. I think the beginning o the year DeMar was not shooting well but was playing well, January-February he didn't have his explosion for the most part.

His overall game has looked much better in March than almost any time in his career. The guy is playmaking, rebounding and playing defense quite well.
    Following is start of season until December 1st (i.e. pre injury) - 15 games:

Shot Area FGM FGA FG%
    Restricted Area 36 62 58.1
    In The Paint (Non-RA) 19 48 39.6
    Mid-Range 43 133 32.3
    Left Corner 3 1 4 25.0
    Right Corner 3 2 7 28.6
    Above the Break 3 1 5 20.0

51% of FGA were mid-range, outside paint.

Following is return from injury until February 28th (i.e. 'rehab') - 22 games:

Shot Area FGM FGA FG%
    Restricted Area 32 55 58.2
    In The Paint (Non-RA) 20 55 36.4
    Mid-Range 68 189 36.0
    Left Corner 3 4 14 28.6
    Right Corner 3 2 8 25.0
    Above the Break 3 0 11 0

57% of FGA were mid-range, outside paint.

FOllowing is for March 1st until now (i.e. TRUE DeRozan) - 16 games:

Shot Area FGM FGA FG%

Restricted Area 49 71 69.0
    In The Paint (Non-RA) 19 53 35.8
    Mid-Range 47 139 33.8
    Left Corner 3 4 8 50.0
    Right Corner 3 6 8 75.0
    Above the Break 3 1 7 14.3

49% of FGA were mid-range, outside paint.

So his mid range game is on par with pre-injury.
    His rehab saw more mid-range jumpers but he also hit a slightly higher percentage.
    His March tear has merely been a case of making more shots around the rim and making more 3s.

So what have we learned?
    He is making more '3 and key'

Now where have we heard a desire for more of that?

Oh right.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Following is start of season until December 1st (i.e. pre injury) - 15 games:

Shot Area FGM FGA FG%
      Restricted Area 36 62 58.1
      In The Paint (Non-RA) 19 48 39.6
      Mid-Range 43 133 32.3
      Left Corner 3 1 4 25.0
      Right Corner 3 2 7 28.6
      Above the Break 3 1 5 20.0
      51% of FGA were mid-range, outside paint.
      Following is return from injury until February 28th (i.e. 'rehab') - 22 games:

Shot Area FGM FGA FG%
      Restricted Area 32 55 58.2
      In The Paint (Non-RA) 20 55 36.4
      Mid-Range 68 189 36.0
      Left Corner 3 4 14 28.6
      Right Corner 3 2 8 25.0
      Above the Break 3 0 11 0

57% of FGA were mid-range, outside paint.

FOllowing is for March 1st until now (i.e. TRUE DeRozan) - 16 games:

Shot Area FGM FGA FG%

Restricted Area 49 71 69.0
      In The Paint (Non-RA) 19 53 35.8
      Mid-Range 47 139 33.8
      Left Corner 3 4 8 50.0
      Right Corner 3 6 8 75.0
      Above the Break 3 1 7 14.3

49% of FGA were mid-range, outside paint.

So his mid range game is on par with pre-injury.
      His rehab saw more mid-range jumpers but he also hit a slightly higher percentage.
      His March tear has merely been a case of making more shots around the rim and making more 3s.

So what have we learned?
      He is making more '3 and key'

Now where have we heard a desire for more of that?

Oh right.
      Couple things:

1, How do you get access to this information (I tried NBA.com I'm likely incompetent) because its really interesting to me and id like a chance to explore him?
      2, The interesting thing is the first period is 7.333 paint or restricted area in first period, 5.0 in the second period and 7.75 in the last one.
      One of those things looks distinct form the other. Coupled with the FT rate change, I think we can see that DeMar lost his explosion for much the period.
      3, Its interesting a bit that DeMar has taken more 3s since his injury (marginally more but more)
      4, His mid range is exactly the same and that he's shooting them at the same effectiveness (this went away from what I thought, I thought he improved a bit)
      5, Look everyone thinks DeMar should go the rim more and wished he could make 3s. I don't think anyone disputed that. However, what is disputed is how good a player he is currently despite his still unimpressive shooting and largely non existent 3 ball. If DeMar could make 3s at even a semi decent rate (35% on 3-4 a game) it would open the rest of the game up for him as well. I hope its what he chooses to focus on this summer.

Comment

• Jrice9 wrote: View Post
        Couple things:

1, How do you get access to this information (I tried NBA.com I'm likely incompetent) because its really interesting to me and id like a chance to explore him?
        2, The interesting thing is the first period is 7.333 paint or restricted area in first period, 5.0 in the second period and 7.75 in the last one.
        One of those things looks distinct form the other. Coupled with the FT rate change, I think we can see that DeMar lost his explosion for much the period.
        3, Its interesting a bit that DeMar has taken more 3s since his injury (marginally more but more)
        4, His mid range is exactly the same and that he's shooting them at the same effectiveness (this went away from what I thought, I thought he improved a bit)
        5, Look everyone thinks DeMar should go the rim more and wished he could make 3s. I don't think anyone disputed that. However, what is disputed is how good a player he is currently despite his still unimpressive shooting and largely non existent 3 ball. If DeMar could make 3s at even a semi decent rate (35% on 3-4 a game) it would open the rest of the game up for him as well. I hope its what he chooses to focus on this summer.
        1. Go to stats.nba.com; select player stats; select player index; select D; select DD.
        Once on DD page, select stats; roll over stats and select shooting stats; click gear icon to filter - go mad

2. He might of lost his explosion but he didn't need to lose his cognitive abilities. Taking easier but bad shots to compensate for an injury speaks to the very root of much of DeRozan criticism.

3. It isn't so much that he is taking more 3s, in my opinion, it is that he is not taking any 3s above the break.

4. I'm a little surprised too. I thought he was just making shots. Turns out he wasn't and he was just taking and making better shots.... which is what we always wanted.

5. DD problem continues to be consistency, in my opinion. He has shown he can do more than score on volume. Hopefully he will continue. I think his 3 pt prowess will come from staying in the corners. A quick google search from 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 all have articles about off season dedication to adding a 3 pt shot. For all the talk of his work ethic and dedication to craft, I think it is clear he is just never going to be a 3 pt threat - unless he starts getting more intelligent about his attempts (ie. corners) and the coaching staff plan to place him in spots where he can be successful (ie. the corners).

Comment

For whatever reason I can't access stats.nba.com anymore at work.

lol

But if you go to the shooting section, they break down the attempts.
          Post the URL into google translate and it'll translate into a link which should work since you'll then be going through google's servers.

Bonus Jonas with the loopholes

Comment

• Sit down and enjoy the ride guys DD is in playoffs mode. A lot of good things to come
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              Sit down and enjoy the ride guys DD is in playoffs mode. A lot of good things to come
              i think we should rest him like 2-3 games starting now, especially on back2backs

we want him to have his legs still starting playoffs lol
              Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

• Demar's averaging

24.3p/6.5r/4.3a in 38.9 minutes

in his last ten

i think the last 3 games we should rest him in one of the back 2 backs and also starting now put a minutes restriction, he should'nt play more then 32 minutes a game now. His left out seven minutes should goo to JJ
                Abbas wrote:

Comment

• Keep upping trade value demar!

Comment

Keep upping trade value demar!
                    of Ross? cause i think he's only lowering it day by day

if u mean demar nice joke lol, cause he anit going anywhere
                    Abbas wrote:

Comment

• DeMar was absolutely clutch tonight. A lot fewer boneheaded decisions and way more aggression attacking (and finishing) at the basket. If he is finally getting comfortable in that closer role it bodes well for the playoffs.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        DeMar was absolutely clutch tonight. A lot fewer boneheaded decisions and way more aggression attacking (and finishing) at the basket. If he is finally getting comfortable in that closer role it bodes well for the playoffs.
                        43 mins though. Feel like we should be resting him more.
                        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Abbas wrote: View Post

No his being serious. For some reason he thinks him and Masai are on the same wave link. His bias of DD is really showing now. Which I believe has nothing to do with DD's play but more to do with DD constantly proving him wrong.
                          Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Sun Apr 5, 2015, 10:27 AM.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Abbas wrote: View Post

I think its funny that nobody wants to think about trading DD now that he has trade value, but when he had no trade value everyone eanted to trade him. He has been playing well of late, but the team is still 5-5 in their last 10 with one good win against a hobbled Houston team. He is on a hot streak but i think its fair to ask how long it will last and how good we can be if he is the primary scorer.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                              I think its funny that nobody wants to think about trading DD now that he has trade value, but when he had no trade value everyone eanted to trade him. He has been playing well of late, but the team is still 5-5 in their last 10 with one good win against a hobbled Houston team. He is on a hot streak but i think its fair to ask how long it will last and how good we can be if he is the primary scorer.
                              Whether you agree or not it is still nice to see someone else understands the logic.

If Masai decides anyone is not going to be a pet of the core moving forward, it would be nice to sell high.

I understand this is all a process but the same core has been together for nearly 2 full seasons. It is pretty much known what they can do now. We'll see if the playoofs offer any surprises.

I fully expect the summer to see a significant move with one of DD, KL, or JV being moved. I could be wrong. I don't really give a poop though as I am just sharing an opinion.

As masai has said, "this is the start." Im not sure how anyone expects the same core to make it to the finish.

Comment

Whether you agree or not it is still nice to see someone else understands the logic.

If Masai decides anyone is not going to be a pet of the core moving forward, it would be nice to sell high.

I understand this is all a process but the same core has been together for nearly 2 full seasons. It is pretty much known what they can do now. We'll see if the playoofs offer any surprises.

I fully expect the summer to see a significant move with one of DD, KL, or JV being moved. I could be wrong. I don't really give a poop though as I am just sharing an opinion.

As masai has said, "this is the start." Im not sure how anyone expects the same core to make it to the finish.
                                I have no idea what this core can do, despite the last two seasons. And I doubt anyone else does. The team has plenty of talent, maybe not enough to be a surefire contender, but enough to be a team to look out for in the East, with ways to improve going forward. The team just isn't going to reach it's potential playing ISO O and scramble D, that's really the only thing this season has proven to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X