Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
    Isn't it a much, much bigger honour to get an invite, to a squad like that, than it is a disgrace to get "cut"? Literally a dream that not even a veteran NBA'er can gainsay.

Beyond that, "Que Sera, Scola"

(I actually think they're so deep, and so secure, that they can rotate guys at some positions, year-on-year, just to be fair and decent. There may be three guys who deserve it. If you've ever coached you know how tough these decisions can be ...).
    Sure.

They only invite i think 34 players.

So it is safe to assume that team usa considers him a top 34 american born talent in the nba.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
      Here, I made this for you all:

Enjoy!
      Still smiling

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        I find the argument that DD did well on Team USA an odd one. I mean, yeah, he did. But he was pretty much a 4th/5th option who mostly played garbage time minutes. Sure, if we can add three top tier players and as such end up laying DD like a 4th option or even a 6th man, I would also be optimistic about his ability to be a positive contributor. But if you don't expect that to happen (and obviously you shouldn't) I don't see what the Team USA experience showed us in terms of DD's ability to be a top option. Being able to be an efficient slasher in 10 minutes a game surrounded by superstars and defended by the opposing team's least effective defenders in games that for the most part are over before they start - that's not a situation I have an easy time projecting onto NBA success.
        I think the USA thing is primarily used to make two points:

1.) He is a good player, otherwise he would not have been selected. While he obviously has flaws like any other player, he performed well enough to be selected (which a lot of DeRozan detractors thought was a near impossibility) over players who many here consider to be better than him (Beal, Parsons, Hayward, etc).

2.) It showed that he can fit into a team concept when he isn't the main guy, and if that wasn't the case USA wouldn't have selected him. While you can't extrapolate a Team USA performance to the NBA exactly, it did confirm some things that have been stated her before. Firstly, many think DeRozan would be more efficient as a #2 next to a legit superstar, the reason for this being more efficient opportunities (such as corner 3s, and easier/cleaner driving lanes)... these type of opportunities are why he was successful with USA.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that DeRozan is going to have 60% TS% in the NBA any time soon, but I think as a #2 next to a legit #1 I see no reason why he couldn't have a similar leap in efficiency to the one Rudy Gay had. It's a fact that most NBA teams gameplan to stop the other team's perceived top offensive threat. I don't mean this in a condescending way, but anyone here who's played basketball at a high level before likely knows that when the defense isn't keying in on you it's a hell of a lot easier to get clean looks and more efficient opportunities. That's all. I don't think anyone was suggesting DeRozan would suddenly become a superstar next to a #2, just that he would become more efficient and be an excellent Robin to a legit Batman (not like the Rudy Gay situation where you had 2 Robins trying to be Batman).

Comment

• I think in the end for this team. What's going to happen is Masai will bring in that #1 superstar type of guy, and DD and JV will assume roles as 2A/2B behind him, making us a very formidable team on the offensive end. Combine that with excellent role players and good depth added over time or via draft picks and we'll be in contention.

I think a lot of DeRozan detractors look at him and his impending new contract as a roadblock to contention, I view that as a key piece to our eventual title contention.

Comment

• If that's going to be the plan, then the JV-DD combination is probably going to need to be taking less than max deals for there to be a solid chance of adding that player and still having any depth at all.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              If that's going to be the plan, then the JV-DD combination is probably going to need to be taking less than max deals for there to be a solid chance of adding that player and still having any depth at all.
              1.) I expect them to both get less than the max
              2.) You even just used the word "probably" just now... even if they do both get the max it's still possible
              3.) Depth does not need to be expensive, smart teams fill out their benches will cheap options (prospects, cheap effective vets, castaways from other teams, etc).

Comment

• [QUOTE=JWash;507604]I think in the end for this team. What's going to happen is Masai will bring in that #1 superstar type of guy, and DD and JV will assume roles as 2A/2B behind him, making us a very formidable team on the offensive end. Combine that with excellent role players and good depth added over time or via draft picks and we'll be in contention.

I think a lot of DeRozan detractors look at him and his impending new contract as a roadblock to contention, I view that as a key piece to our eventual title contention.[/QUOTE

please explain how this could ever be possible, even just capwise. dont worry about fit. just $.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                  1.) I expect them to both get less than the max
                  2.) You even just used the word "probably" just now... even if they do both get the max it's still possible
                  3.) Depth does not need to be expensive, smart teams fill out their benches will cheap options (prospects, cheap effective vets, castaways from other teams, etc).
                  1) how do i figure? when all reports say otherwise.
                  2) find a single great team with less than 15 million in bench players. we have 15 million in cujo, ross scola and biyombo alone. the nyk pick will cost us 5 millionish....

Comment

• Everything Demar Derozan

Snooch wrote: View Post
                    1) how do i figure? when all reports say otherwise.
                    2) find a single great team with less than 15 million in bench players. we have 15 million in cujo, ross scola and biyombo alone. the nyk pick will cost us 5 millionish....
                    *CoJo might yield very useful assets via trade ... and be rendered reasonably redundant by Wright.
                    *If CoJo is that good, he may save us real $ on Lowry ... sooner or later. A nice problem.
                    *Scola is on a 1-yr contract.
                    *Biyombo and T-Ross are both very interesting cases - but we're not married to them.
                    *We have prospects in the system and picks which many are salivating over. Or will be.
                    *And, as JWalsh said, bench players just aren't as hard to come by - cheaply - as starters.
                    Last edited by Axel; Sun Aug 9, 2015, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                      Sure.

They only invite i think 34 players.

So it is safe to assume that team usa considers him a top 34 american born talent in the nba.

That's a good thing. I guess they consider Demar to be a good player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                        *CoJo might yield very useful assets via trade ... and be rendered reasonably redundant by Wright.
                        *If CoJo is that good, he may save us real $ on Lowry ... sooner or later. A nice problem.
                        *Scola is on a 1-yr contract.
                        *Biyombo and T-Ross are both very interesting cases - but we're not married to them.
                        *We have prospects in the system and picks which many are salivating over. Or will be.
                        *And, as JWalsh said, bench players just aren't as hard to come by - cheaply - as starters.
                        1 3 and 4 are purely speculation.

and 5 is the point to which I responded in what you quoted, but you failed to answer said question.....Find a single Great team with a bench costing less that 15 million dollars.

Comment

1 3 and 4 are purely speculation.

and 5 is the point to which I responded in what you quoted, but you failed to answer said question.....Find a single Great team with a bench costing less that 15 million dollars.
                          Nowhere near as much speculation as thinking we'd be able to make a good pitch to a guy like Durant without DeRozan here.

Also I'm not sure how #3 is speculation... Scola IS on a 1 year contract it's not up for debate. Same goes for #4. We aren't married to either of those players.
                          Last edited by JWash; Sun Aug 9, 2015, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                            Nowhere near as much speculation as thinking we'd be able to make a good pitch to a guy like Durant without DeRozan here.

Also I'm not sure how #3 is speculation... Scola IS on a 1 year contract it's not up for debate. Same goes for #4. We aren't married to either of those players.
                            I miscounted 1,4,5 and 6

But you are still side stepping.

With hypothicals.

Demar, jv mostly imited bench

Demar, one of carrol/lowry and a slightly less limited bench but brutal frontcourt.

Or lowry, carrol, jv and pretty much the entire bench.

Of those 3 pitches the best is the last. Allstar pg, top 3d guy, emerging young center with 18-10 possibility, and argueably the best bench in nba.

So like i posed twice earlier, please show me one top 10 team with a payroll of less than 15 million for guys 6-15(which is what would be needed to keep demar, jv and one of lowry/carrol)

But now i will also ask that you state how one of the first two options is better than the last.
                            JWash wrote: View Post

Comment

I miscounted 1,4,5 and 6

But you are still side stepping.

With hypothicals.

Demar, jv mostly imited bench

Demar, one of carrol/lowry and a slightly less limited bench but brutal frontcourt.

Or lowry, carrol, jv and pretty much the entire bench.

Of those 3 pitches the best is the last. Allstar pg, top 3d guy, emerging young center with 18-10 possibility, and argueably the best bench in nba.

So like i posed twice earlier, please show me one top 10 team with a payroll of less than 15 million for guys 6-15(which is what would be needed to keep demar, jv and one of lowry/carrol)

But now i will also ask that you state how one of the first two options is better than the last.

No frontcourt with KD in it is brutal. I would be surprised if KD could even pronounce JV's name. Promising young center just wont cut it. His going to want to play with other All-Stars
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                No frontcourt with KD in it is brutal. I would be surprised if KD could even pronounce JV's name. Promising young center just wont cut it. His going to want to play with other All-Stars
                                Bingo.

As far as KD is concerned... Kanter is also a promising young center (he was picked ahead of JV after all) and Westbrook is on a completely different level from Lowry... both are scoring guards so it's not like Lowry is going to become Steve Nash all of a sudden when he plays with KD.

If DeMar isn't on the team, unless he is traded for another star... our chance of getting KD goes from 0.1% to 0% So this idea of "trade DeMar because he prevents us from having room for a superstar" is bogus because there's only 1 available next year, and in order to create whatever miniscule chance we have of getting him we'd have to have DD for a pitch.

Comment

Working...
                                X