Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    Yeah I really disagree lol, I think if Durant wasn't interested in that pitch then we wouldn't be getting him anyway. I'm not sure how you pitch to him, "Hey we're trading away our 1st/2nd best player for a draft pick to free up space for you, and you're going to be starting next to former Slam Dunk Champion, Terrence Ross".
    I'll be perfectly honest. I think there is practically zero chance Durant signs here, and that planning a roster around that possibility is foolhardy. I think the infinitesimal chance he signs here hinges on Ujiri selling him on a vision, rather than any particular player, anyway. So, no, I don't think selling the farm on the entire team in the hopes that DeMar DeRozan can lure Kevin Durant here is in any way a good idea.

I certainly wouldn't word it "our first/second best player." Not because of the optics but because of him not being our first or second best player. But that's just me.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
      Yeah I really disagree lol, I think if Durant wasn't interested in that pitch then we wouldn't be getting him anyway. I'm not sure how you pitch to him, "Hey we're trading away our 1st/2nd best player for a draft pick to free up space for you, and you're going to be starting next to former Slam Dunk Champion, Terrence Ross".
      LOL

Let's get real here. I think it's a pipe dream that KD comes AT ALL, but I think there's ZERO chance he's coming here to play with Ross or JV.

He can just continue to come visit Toronto in the offseason....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
        In your mind indeed.

Like I said, the organization has a different opinion of Demar than you do. He will most likely continue to be the team leader in minutes and usage as well. I don't think Demar will be coming off the bench anytime soon (as much as that would be ideal for YOU).

This team wants/needs Demar out on the floor as much as possible.....I'll use the past few years of evidence in which Demar led the team in MPG and USG.

Also, we should probably get a capable SG (Ross? lol) before even mentioning Demar coming off the bench.

I don't think DD will be coming off the bench anytime soon. Did I say I expected it? I said it would be better. And yes, I was very clear that this was my opinion. No need to point that out, it's not really a counter argument.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          I'll be perfectly honest. I think there is practically zero chance Durant signs here,
          One hundred percent agreed, and I've said it before. Which makes DeRozan the 2nd best realistically attainable free agent (after Horford).

and that planning a roster around that possibility is foolhardy. I think the infinitesimal chance he signs here hinges on Ujiri selling him on a vision, rather than any particular player, anyway. So, no, I don't think selling the farm on the entire team in the hopes that DeMar DeRozan can lure Kevin Durant here is in any way a good idea.
          Woah, woah, woah, woah, WOAH. I did not suggest that we actually go ahead and start siphoning off players to free up cap space, I just said that DeRozan does not PREVENT us from going after Durant because we COULD do that. That's all.

I certainly wouldn't word it "our first/second best player." Not because of the optics but because of him not being our first or second best player. But that's just me.
          To the franchise, the rest of the league, and most importantly any free agent you're talking to, he is. That's the context we are speaking in, so my evaluation is accurate. Debating how Lowry/DeRozan/JV rank 1-2-3 is a separate discussion.

Comment

• The notion that JV is better player than DD is so funny to me. Only in RR lol.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              The notion that JV is better player than DD is so funny to me. Only in RR lol.
              Only on RR and literally every single other Raptors fan site, in my experience.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Well I'm sorry if I don't find "fan sites" a creditable source
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

That Atlanta point is exactly my point. It is a perfectly viable team building approach - the end result could be very good. But good luck selling a top free agent on that. Telling a prospective signee that the bench will figure itself out, that you are relying on unproven talent, and that you don't technically have a real PF on the team is just not going to fly. Remember, this pitch doesn't just have to be good enough for Durant to sign here (and I think it fails even that criterion) - it has to beat out 20 different teams' pitches. Frankly, if I was Durant, and that was the pitch over the phone, I don't know that I give you a sit down.

And the best part of this? If you trade guys ahead of time to clear cap space, you are gutting your roster for a chance at Durant. So in the extremely likely event that he doesn't choose us, we've killed our depth for nothing. And if you wait to clear cap space until after, welcome to getting bent over by every team in the league - everyone knows you are desperate to move salary, so every deal moved will have a couple picks or prospects attached to it. So you can say goodbye to the bench depth you are hoping to have from our prospect base too.
                  We're trying to get good enough to beat the Cavs. How many "elite" players have they got on their roster? And their owner is going deep into his pockets. On the other hand, it's the West that's more "stocked".

Seems to me we're going to have to be creative. But let's recall how the current NBA reality got started:

A private conversation(s) between LeBron, Dwayne and Chris at an all-star game. The Players have much more "say" now (and money). But some of us suspect that we've got a real "player" in DD. Because people really respect the guy. Not just the (alleged) "Church of DeRozan" folks. But actual NBA shakers, movers and decision-makers ...

So as vital as the number crunching is, it may just come down to the relationships: between DD and JV and Kyle. Maybe Drake and his "peeps". Between Masai and his young men. (I think that's why Casey is still here. Some are completely puzzled. But it actually wouldn't surprise me if he was relieved of his head-coach responsibilities ... but he stayed on anyway as an assistant or mentor ...)

But the Cavs are the target. Rough. Still, I think - well, ok, "hope" - Masai, Casey, KL, JV, DD, DC (etc.) and co. will be "on it".
                  Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Sun Aug 9, 2015, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I'll be perfectly honest. I think there is practically zero chance Durant signs here, and that planning a roster around that possibility is foolhardy. I think the infinitesimal chance he signs here hinges on Ujiri selling him on a vision, rather than any particular player, anyway. So, no, I don't think selling the farm on the entire team in the hopes that DeMar DeRozan can lure Kevin Durant here is in any way a good idea.

I don't think there's any great chance he signs here, either. But I was nearly out of my mind with excitement during the moratorium period just trying to follow the developments. The situation was so fluid!

... And so this discussion is difficult, right? Teams have to have plans A, B, C ... and then be ready to junk those for a new opportunity ... I wouldn't rule anything out. Certainly not Demar ... not quite yet, anyway

Comment

Every single other Raptors Fan site??? You probably meant RHQ

The silent majority believes Demar is better (only my opinion of course - I have no way of knowing this for sure). Just using my common sense and the fact that JV hasn't proven anything in the league. No all-star games. No 4th Quarter play. (I'm joking - he plays sometimes).

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                        I think it's great that people are really trying to do some hard analysis. Seriously, thanks.

But it's not unheard of for players to take something of a "hair-cut", for a real shot at a title. If they won't, ok. But I would examine every scenario.

Hard to read minds. But most of you have probably seen this:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor..._pays_off.html

Demar's says:

"

But also:

“”

So take it any way you want. You can use it to justify accelerated criticism. Or go the other way. I can certainly appreciate a middle grouned. But I have a sense that JV is a pretty cool and smart guy, too. Anyway, these guys are kinda' growing up together ... before our eyes. Here in "the 6". . And, it seems, there are a lot worse places to be than a part of DeMar DeRozan's inner circle ... his extended family

But I've always seen "loyalty" as a two-way street. You gotta give it to get it. And remember: DD is listening, it seems
                        Listen, I think DD likes Toronto. I have no doubt. But any professional athlete is like the good guy in pro wrestling. How do you win the fans over? Tell them how much you like the city.

Greivis to Sacramento:

Greivis to Toronto:

"I'm excited here," Vasquez said. "I want to play for the Toronto Raptors and win a lot of games here. And hopefully I stay here my whole career.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...r-With-Raptors

Greivis to Milwuakee:

He said he's open to sticking around Milwaukee for the long run.

"If they're looking at a long-term relationship, I'm willing to do that," he said. "This roster is very attractive to me. Why leave when we can do great things here?"

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/07/02/g...ukee-bucks.ap/

Comment

• A 20-year-old DeRozan was unfairly tagged as the ‘face-of-the-franchise’ in 2010 when Chris Bosh departed for South Beach. The sophomore wing did have a solid second season in Toronto scoring 17.2 points per game, but the team was in shambles without CB4 and DeRozan along with the over-hyped Andrea Bargnani bore most of blame for the next two 20-something win seasons.

For some unknown reason DeRozan still hasn’t won over the entire Toronto fan base despite being named an All-Star in 2014, success with Team USA on the international stage, consecutive franchise record setting seasons of 48 and 49 wins and playoff appearances in each of the past two seasons after a five-year stint as a lottery team. (The first two of those lottery bound years came with Bosh still on the team.)

DeRozan turned 26-years-old early in August and is just coming into the prime years of his NBA career. Acknowledged as a hard worker who advances his game each summer, the best of this young veteran has yet to be seen. Trade him? The Raptors would have to be absolutely blown away to even consider it.

-Stephen Brotherston
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                            Every single other Raptors Fan site??? You probably meant RHQ

The silent majority believes Demar is better (only my opinion of course - I have no way of knowing this for sure). Just using my common sense and the fact that JV hasn't proven anything in the league. No all-star games. No 4th Quarter play. (I'm joking - he plays sometimes).

Raptors HQ, TRF, RealGM...
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The notion that JV is better player than DD is so funny to me. Only in RR lol.
                              And here is more trolling and shit storm attempts.

You've fallen a long way.

Comment

A 20-year-old DeRozan was unfairly tagged as the ‘face-of-the-franchise’ in 2010 when Chris Bosh departed for South Beach. The sophomore wing did have a solid second season in Toronto scoring 17.2 points per game, but the team was in shambles without CB4 and DeRozan along with the over-hyped Andrea Bargnani bore most of blame for the next two 20-something win seasons.

For some unknown reason DeRozan still hasn’t won over the entire Toronto fan base despite being named an All-Star in 2014, success with Team USA on the international stage, consecutive franchise record setting seasons of 48 and 49 wins and playoff appearances in each of the past two seasons after a five-year stint as a lottery team. (The first two of those lottery bound years came with Bosh still on the team.)

DeRozan turned 26-years-old early in August and is just coming into the prime years of his NBA career. Acknowledged as a hard worker who advances his game each summer, the best of this young veteran has yet to be seen. Trade him? The Raptors would have to be absolutely blown away to even consider it.

-Stephen Brotherston
                                Brotherston has zero credibility as a journalist.

He is no different than anyone of us fans....except he has a press pass.

Comment

Working...
                                X