• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UGH ... don't make us lock this thread again! Lol

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
      UGH ... don't make us lock this thread again! Lol

Comment

• For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
          Quick search via Basketball Reference:
          6 Players qualify (looking at the last two seasons) for that criteria (and keep in mind, that even that would only be considered to be "pretty good"): Chris Paul, Stephen Curry (twice), Goran Dragic, J.J. Redick, and Marco Belinelli

Apparently, there are a TON of really awful players in the NBA.
          oh thank you

not everyone has to be efficient to be good

now next if Derozan can put up 20-22p/4-6r/3-5a with shooting 42-45% that really good
          Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
            1) Because it breaks your attempt at misdirecting justified Demar criticism unfairly cast onto someone else.

2) Coaches and GMs would feel the same way. You needs to get rebounds. It matters not if your shooting guards gets you 10 per contest, or your pf gets you 10 per contest. As long as you get the rebounds. That is not a complicated thing to grasp.

Yeah westbrook gives you ridiculous numbers, but in comparison to Lowry, we arent that far off. Much Much closer than Demar and Harden for example.

Yes we are far off, WAYYYY far off

Westbrook almost averaged a triple double

and why are u evening mentioning harden? Harden and westbrook are MVP type players. DD and KL are not
            Abbas wrote:

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              If you're studying for math, i hope it is nothing beyond basic.

FG% is a simple stat. You need to look beyond that to get context.
              no need to get personal but in case ur wondering. im studying (fulltime) Actuarial(crazy hard math, search it up) and part time in business law
              Abbas wrote:

Comment

• Abbas wrote: View Post
                oh thank you

now next if Derozan can put up 20-22p/4-6r/3-5a with shooting 42-45% that really good
                Abbas wrote: View Post
                Im trying to argue that it is normal for lowry to shot poorly. forget derozan for a second. idgaf how many 3s take, 41%(last5yrs) from the field is awful. dont lie do urself thinking thats good

If Lowry shots like 47%fg and like 36% from deep thats considered pretty good
                It wasn't my definition of good that I was going by to pick out that list of players.

Granted, that'll be the last time I address that point as not to derail the thread even more.

Rather than giving an stat requirement for what I would consider a good season for Derozan, it would actually be a change in terms of gameplay. Less needlessly difficult shots, less OMFG** shots in general and a more team-orientated play style would be a pretty good start.

**OMFG = On-My-Own Field Goal
                Last edited by Just Is; Mon Oct 19, 2015, 05:09 PM.
                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

oh thank you

That's a pretty wide spectrum on those stats for what's "really good". 20-4-3 is a lot different than 22-6-5. And you absolutely have to count efficiency. You don't have to be efficient to be good, but DeMar is neither efficient nor particularly good. His measured inefficiencies relate wholly to the obvious problems in his game that are easily spotted when watching him on the court.

Comment

no need to get personal but in case ur wondering. im studying (fulltime) Actuarial(crazy hard math, search it up) and part time in business law
                    Then I am really confused your stance in the discussion.

Comment

Ray Allens career raw fg% is only 45%. Not that great when youre talking about one of the greatest shooters of all time, right?

However since he took a lot of threes at a 40% clip...his TS% is 58% (!!!) for his career. Now that shows why he is one of the greatest shooters of all time.

Otherwise we would end up saying rediculous things like "DD only shoots 3% worse from the field than Ray Allen, therefor he should also be an all time elite shooter". The reality is much different.

Personally I prefer using eFG% over TS% because it favors the players who take great, open shots within the flow of the offense from the floor. It is rare that a great shot in the offense actually leads to a FT, so I dont feel it should be included in a players efficiency from the floor. Yes, free throws are valuable as long as they are being drawn in the paint. DD drew something like half (please fact check) of his shooting fouls on jump shots. That falsly inflates his TS% and was easily shut down in the playoffs (cut his FTA in half). TS% is good for evaluating a players efficiency at face value but I think has less context than eFG%. Just personal preference.

Basic box score stats are essentially useless and are from a by-gone era.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                        Ray Allens career raw fg% is only 45%. Not that great when youre talking about one of the greatest shooters of all time, right?

However since he took a lot of threes at a 40% clip...his TS% is 58% (!!!) for his career. Now that shows why he is one of the greatest shooters of all time.

Otherwise we would end up saying rediculous things like "DD only shoots 3% worse from the field than Ray Allen, therefor he should also be an all time elite shooter". The reality is much different.

Personally I prefer using eFG% over TS% because it favors the players who take great, open shots within the flow of the offense from the floor. It is rare that a great shot in the offense actually leads to a FT, so I dont feel it should be included in a players efficiency from the floor. Yes, free throws are valuable as long as they are being drawn in the paint. DD drew something like half (please fact check) of his shooting fouls on jump shots. That falsly inflates his TS% and was easily shut down in the playoffs (cut his FTA in half). TS% is good for evaluating a players efficiency at face value but I think has less context than eFG%. Just personal preference.

Basic box score stats are essentially useless and are from a by-gone era.
                        Good post. Interesting considerations re FTA and TS%.

Comment

Yes we are far off, WAYYYY far off

Westbrook almost averaged a triple double

and why are u evening mentioning harden? Harden and westbrook are MVP type players. DD and KL are not

whya re your arguing semantics.

FACT: Lowry and Westbrook were withing 1% point difference in shooting percentages.
                          FACT: Demar and Harden(equally as comparable as Lowry and Westbrook) were a whole lot further off.

But please remain delusional that westbrook, an mp candidate can shoot 1% higher than Lowry and be great and fine, but Lowry is a bum.

Comment

what?????

you are digging a big whole now....

Comment

I assume you mean actuarial science?

cause that is what it is called.

And running those variables through a premade software program is a real strain on the old noggin eh?

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                                UGH ... don't make us lock this thread again! Lol
                                lock it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X