Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    If the coaches select DeMar to the allstar game again, there's going to be more than a little crow for you guys to eat up.
    Don't see what bearing that would have if he continues the same old playing style.

I have serious concerns that hosting the all-star game this season will cause some Raptors players to force things and play more hero ball in an attempt to prove they belong at the all-star game. Not just DD, but he is certainly the one that concerns me the most due to likelihood and skills to back it up (JV/Carroll less likely to try and Lowry more skilled to make it happen).

We have pieces to really play well as a team at both ends of the court and really make some strides to being a competitive team in the playoffs. Trying to attain All-Star status should not be a priority this year but I fear it will be.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

If the coaches select DeMar to the allstar game again, there's going to be more than a little crow for you guys to eat up.

That said, we all know that he didn't have a great year last year. We all know that he had been thrust into a role that was both above his talent level and his pay grade. The question now is how well he can adjust when that role shifts down a notch.

Will the lessons of the past help him succeed, as I tend to think. Or will they hinder, as others are convinced they will.
      Why?

No one has any issue with demar playing at an allstar level, do they?

People have an issue with the traditional non-allstar, non-efficient game that demar has employed for the vast majority of his career. It's simply a game of numbers, playing the odds of what he's shown versus what's likely to come. Some don't want to play those odds at the price he's likely to get, and for the role he's able to fill.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        Don't see what bearing that would have if he continues the same old playing style.

I have serious concerns that hosting the all-star game this season will cause some Raptors players to force things and play more hero ball in an attempt to prove they belong at the all-star game. Not just DD, but he is certainly the one that concerns me the most due to likelihood and skills to back it up (JV/Carroll less likely to try and Lowry more skilled to make it happen).

We have pieces to really play well as a team at both ends of the court and really make some strides to being a competitive team in the playoffs. Trying to attain All-Star status should not be a priority this year but I fear it will be.
        At the end of the day, the coaches tend to reward the top players on the winningest teams. We should have 2+ representatives in the game, but that will require a lot of Ws. Bottomline, I'm not concerned.

Comment

That said, we all know that he didn't have a great year last year. We all know that he had been thrust into a role that was both above his talent level and his pay grade. The question now is how well he can adjust when that role shifts down a notch.

Will the lessons of the past help him succeed, as I tend to think. Or will they hinder, as others are convinced they will.
          I think it's well known that coaches don't really give much serious thought to all-star selections. They usually pick the most popular guy or the one with the most PPG. They have bigger things to worry about.
          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
            Why?

No one has any issue with demar playing at an allstar level, do they?

People have an issue with the traditional non-allstar, non-efficient game that demar has employed for the vast majority of his career. It's simply a game of numbers, playing the odds of what he's shown versus what's likely to come. Some don't want to play those odds at the price he's likely to get, and for the role he's able to fill.
            Because the implicit assumption is that he can't (for some reason) get back to, or improve upon, that level. Sure, as Raptor fans, the doubters would be pleasantly surprised. As RR-members that have stubbornly refused to admit that such a resurgence is possible, however - there will be crow to eat.

Regarding contract, that's a concern that deserves to be separated from how well we're projecting him to play this season.

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
              I think it's well known that coaches don't really give much serious thought to all-star selections. They usually pick the most popular guy or the one with the most PPG. They have bigger things to worry about.
              Let the excuses begin
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                Pretty sure they know and respect the players they select pretty well.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                  Thats fine. He can suck and still be a favorite player of yours. Just don't try and justify that DeRozan is a good player for this team who should be due for a 14+ mil contract.
                  Geez, that number is shrinking every time I look ... first people were upset about a potential (albeit unlikely) Max contract ... then $20M was borderline too much... then $18M ... now its $14M? Is that drop all just based on Preseason, or is peoples dislike for him just slowly growing?

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    Nothing....until you're posting on a TEAM fan forum on behalf of a player who hurts said TEAM.
                    You have such tremendous adulation for Masai and such limitless contempt for DeMar that I'll make you a bet: if Masai re-signs DeMar then I get to choose your sig for the first two months of the regular season next year. If DeMar isn't on the squad then you can choose mine. Nothing tawdry.

I mean, if DeMar is hurting this team as much as you keep suggesting, then a genius like Masai would dump him at the first opportunity, right?

Comment

• Just got the latest issue of ESPN the magazine in the mail. This is the NBA preview issue and they have preseason power rankings. The Raptors are ranked 6th in the East, and under the Projected Efficiency section, that have this nugget:

"Derozan flung 319 shots from 15 to 19 feet last season, where he shot 34%. The left baseline: 31%. From 3? Let's.... not [28.4%]. There's inefficient, and then there's Derozan."

Doesn't sound like ESPN thinks DD will be an Allstar again.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                        Just got the latest issue of ESPN the magazine in the mail. This is the NBA preview issue and they have preseason power rankings. The Raptors are ranked 6th in the East, and under the Projected Efficiency section, that have this nugget:

"Derozan flung 319 shots from 15 to 19 feet last season, where he shot 34%. The left baseline: 31%. From 3? Let's.... not [28.4%]. There's inefficient, and then there's Derozan."

Doesn't sound like ESPN thinks DD will be an Allstar again.
                        Based on last season no one would, but this isn't last season.

Also, didn't he shoot a very solid percentage from 3 from the left baseline?

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          You have such tremendous adulation for Masai and such limitless contempt for DeMar that I'll make you a bet: if Masai re-signs DeMar then I get to choose your sig for the first two months of the regular season next year. If DeMar isn't on the squad then you can choose mine. Nothing tawdry.

I mean, if DeMar is hurting this team as much as you keep suggesting, then a genius like Masai would dump him at the first opportunity, right?

No, actually.

Lets not pretend any of us know exactly what Masai thinks or has been offered for any player, including DeRozan.

With that said, a genius like Masai is not going to do anything that jeopardizes his long term vision.

DeRozan is the exact opposite type of player Masai has shown an affinity for. He isn't long, he isn't a defender, he can't hit 3s.

He isn't going to trade DD for anyone just to get rid of him. He isn't taking back salary that doesn't allow him ability to offer a max contract. He is showing that is something he wishes to be able to do as he did it last summer and is set up to do it again this summer.

In the short term, DD is not a malcontent. As much as I despise his game, he is a hard worker and he does seem like a good person. That is not a bad thing to have around your team as you're waiting for his contract to expire.

The Raptors are currently a playoff team with major flexibility coming up as well as multiple draft picks. There is no need for a forced major shake up when time will naturally permit for one in less than a year.

Fan fav Amir and Lou were let to walk this summer without so much as an offer to stay. I would anticipate a similar situation next summer.

As for your sig bet, I'm not interested.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            No, actually.

Lets not pretend any of us know exactly what Masai thinks or has been offered for any player, including DeRozan.

With that said, a genius like Masai is not going to do anything that jeopardizes his long term vision.

DeRozan is the exact opposite type of player Masai has shown an affinity for. He isn't long, he isn't a defender, he can't hit 3s.

He isn't going to trade DD for anyone just to get rid of him. He isn't taking back salary that doesn't allow him ability to offer a max contract. He is showing that is something he wishes to be able to do as he did it last summer and is set up to do it again this summer.

In the short term, DD is not a malcontent. As much as I despise his game, he is a hard worker and he does seem like a good person. That is not a bad thing to have around your team as you're waiting for his contract to expire.

The Raptors are currently a playoff team with major flexibility coming up as well as multiple draft picks. There is no need for a forced major shake up when time will naturally permit for one in less than a year.

Fan fav Amir and Lou were let to walk this summer without so much as an offer to stay. I would anticipate a similar situation next summer.

As for your sig bet, I'm not interested.
                            After all that, you're scared of the sig-bet? Won't put your signature where your mouth is?

Comment

After all that, you're scared of the sig-bet? Won't put your signature where your mouth is?
                              No.

I'm not 14.

But nice taunting.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                                Geez, that number is shrinking every time I look ... first people were upset about a potential (albeit unlikely) Max contract ... then $20M was borderline too much... then $18M ... now its $14M? Is that drop all just based on Preseason, or is peoples dislike for him just slowly growing?
                                Well considering its 14+, all those are within the range

Oh, and I personally wouldn't pay DD any more than 8 mil.

Comment

Working...
                                X