Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Nothing he has said or done has pointed to a different out come.
    His remarks have been subtle and careful in the extreme. As such, I do not believe one can pre-judge this. Nor do I think Masai should pre-judge it. I think Masai should take Demar's play this season - and his salary demands - into account, before making such an important decision.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
      His remarks have been subtle and careful in the extreme. As such, I do not believe one can pre-judge this. Nor do I think Masai should pre-judge it. I think Masai should take Demar's play this season - and his salary demands - into account, before making such an important decision.
      absolutely.

I would prefer for him to not only take the season into consideration, but the entirety of his career here, salary restrictions that come with his contract, implications of keeping him going forward in 4 years time, etc.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
        absolutely.

I would prefer for him to not only take the season into consideration, but the entirety of his career here, salary restrictions that come with his contract, implications of keeping him going forward in 4 years time, etc.
        I'm absolutely positive that Masai will weigh all of the above before coming to a decision.

Whether he comes to same conclusion based on the above as some around here might, well thats still to be determined.

Comment

• If Masai thinks like some of the people here, then DD is a goner. But if Masai is who i think he is, a GREAT basketball guy. A guy that actually PAYS ATTENTION to what's going on. Then DeRozan is back.

After the playoffs last season, the SAME people here were saying that Casey is done. There'd be a new coach next year. I said without a doubt he'd be back. Guess who's coaching the Raps this year?
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            The biggest concern for me from last night's game was that when Indy started making their run midway through the 4th quarter, Toronto responded by relying on DD/KL hero-ball. Luckily they were hitting some crazy shots (some made shots from both players were still 'bad' forced shots), but that approach is going to sink them against good teams.

Toronto was most effective when they were passing the ball and efficient with their shot selection. When they went away from the inside game and turned to ISO (presumably to let 'the guys' do their thing), they nearly gave the game away. Unfortunately, it seems that both DD & KL think that they have to singlehandedly carry their team in crunch time, but their approach is counter-intuitive. Leading the team does not (or should not) equate to hero ball.
            I hate the hero ball definitely, but they really have no choice. What WCMJ says right here is spot on

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            There were possessions last night where our new guys from systems, Carroll and Cojo, would get the ball at the top and survey waiting for some action...and nothing would happen. They were expecting something and everyone would just stand still.
            Our offense isn't "flow" or "motion"... it's basically "create". DeMar and Kyle are the best on the roster at this. So late in games, we don't go to conventional "money plays". One of those guys gets the ball and is asked to do something with it. It''s not necessarily just a mentality issue for the players... our offense is based around it.

Comment

• I think it makes perfect sense to focus on the D first. On offence, I would guess they're just working with some more basic marching orders, for now. Not much more than "move the ball" maybe.

I saw a few positive signs last night. That's fine for game 1. And for awhile, for me.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                I hate the hero ball definitely, but they really have no choice. What WCMJ says right here is spot on

Our offense isn't "flow" or "motion"... it's basically "create". DeMar and Kyle are the best on the roster at this. So late in games, we don't go to conventional "money plays". One of those guys gets the ball and is asked to do something with it. It''s not necessarily just a mentality issue for the players... our offense is based around it.
                That's a complete cop-out.

Lowry and DeRozan were doing a great job of using their dribble-penetration and the defensive attention they draw, to help move the ball around. Even when DeRozan looked like a d-leaguer in the first half, his unselfish play was his only saving grace.

In the second half, especially in the 4th quarter, the change was as drastic as a switch being turned on. Lowry and DeRozan both decided (either by themselves or on coach's orders) that they would takeover the game, and it nearly cost the Raptors the game. They simply stopped looking to facilitate and resorted to hero-ball, plain and simple.

It has nothing to do with the offensive system of the capability of other players. For most of the game they were playing team-first ball, even if the new offense was clearly a work-in-progress. There are enough smart, capable, unselfish players on the team; DeRozan and Lowry (and likely Casey) just chose to fall back on old habits.
                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Oct 29, 2015, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Whether the heroball is encouraged by the coaching staff, or it's Lowry/DeRozan going rogue, it's a bad idea to solely rely on it.

Comment

Lowry and DeRozan were doing a great job of using their dribble-penetration and the defensive attention they draw, to help move the ball around. Even when DeRozan looked like a d-leaguer in the first half, his unselfish play was his only saving grace.

In the second half, especially in the 4th quarter, the change was as drastic as a switch being turned on. Lowry and DeRozan both decided (either by themselves or on coach's orders) that they would takeover the game, and it nearly cost the Raptors the game. They simply stopped looking to facilitate and resorted to hero-ball, plain and simple.

It has nothing to do with the offensive system of the capability of other players. For most of the game they were playing team-first ball, even if the new offense was clearly a work-in-progress. There are enough smart, capable, unselfish players on the team; DeRozan and Lowry (and likely Casey) just chose to fall back on old habits.
                    The numbers support you here. First half AST/100 possessions for the Raptors: 15. Second half: 12.8. 4th Q: 8.2. Yeesh.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                      If Masai thinks like some of the people here, then DD is a goner. But if Masai is who i think he is, a GREAT basketball guy. A guy that actually PAYS ATTENTION to what's going on. Then DeRozan is back.

After the playoffs last season, the SAME people here were saying that Casey is done. There'd be a new coach next year. I said without a doubt he'd be back. Guess who's coaching the Raps this year?
                      I really enjoy how you consistently go out of your way to make it clear just how little respect you have for other posters.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        The numbers support you here. First half AST/100 possessions for the Raptors: 15. Second half: 12.8. 4th Q: 8.2. Yeesh.
                        Sometimes the eye-test works.

I'll take it a step further, suggesting that the bulk of the positive 4th quarter ball movement was during the first few minutes, when the bench was doing a masterful job of passing the rock. Once the starters came back in, starting with DeRozan, the team play was replaced with ISO play.

Comment

Sometimes the eye-test works.

I'll take it a step further, suggesting that the bulk of the positive 4th quarter ball movement was during the first few minutes, when the bench was doing a masterful job of passing the rock. Once the starters came back in, starting with DeRozan, the team play was replaced with ISO play.
                          Raptors only had 3 assists in the 4th Q. 2 of those came in the first 5 minutes before DD subbed in. The other came a minute later. No assists in the final 6 minutes.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Raptors only had 3 assists in the 4th Q. 2 of those came in the first 5 minutes before DD subbed in. The other came a minute later. No assists in the final 6 minutes.
                            That is exactly how NOT to close out games.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                              Was Mark Jackson's firing not a surprise to many? How did his replacement do?

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

Middle of the first quarter I remember saying this offense is still crap even though we're passing the ball a little more. You might think it's a cop out but to say the offensive system has *nothing* to do with it? I don't think you truly mean that. The terrible play from Scola and CoJo spoke volumes. This system absolutely revolves around 1 on 1 read & react plays. When the game slows down and the opponent's D is set up and tightens up more, it becomes increasingly more difficult to get looks for other teammates. Other teams run plays, we do our ISO BS.

Comment

and that is Demar/Raptor basketball.

Honestly, It is borderline unwatchable.

Comment

Working...
                                X