Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLF wrote: View Post
    I don't think I would particularly say Demar is a selfish player because he does move the ball (even though he could do it a lot more). I think he just isn't a smart player and that's why he takes the shots he does. I also think it's because he's actually not that good at getting to the basket in a half court setting. Unless he gets a really good pick set for him he has a very hard time getting by guys because his first step isn't good. So I think he incorporated this midrange game he has to make up for it but it's just hurting his and the teams game. But I definitely agree with you on everything else. And his game doesn't translate well to the playoffs which is a big reason why we do so badly there.
    His ball movement, historically, tends to be out of necessity due to lack of options rather than choice.

It rarely happens within the flow and you rarely see him involved in a play where he gets the hockey assist.

Everything else, yeah, I agree.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      I don't love selfish basketball.

I don't respect selfish basketball.

.....especially when the results are horrendous for the team!

Again, it is totally mind boggling.

But hey, those free throw attempts are very impressive.

Hey, here is another fact! 3-8.... DeRozan post season record.
      Ahh I see. You are confused.

That's the Raptors post season record (Lowry, JV, Ross, Casey included).

However, you continue with the same rhetoric.

I think anyone without bias can see that Demar is NOT selfish and is a willing passer. Also, this team depends on him and Lowry A LOT. Blame the system if you must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I definitely agree.

But 7 years in to his career and still looking for the same thing each year? I don't know about you, but I've given up hope.
        This is the angst behind everything that happens this season - 7 years of history. It's like when a couple is about to break up and they can't stand anything the other person does anymore, even the smallest things...
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

His ball movement, historically, tends to be out of necessity due to lack of options rather than choice.

It rarely happens within the flow and you rarely see him involved in a play where he gets the hockey assist.

Everything else, yeah, I agree.
          The hockey assist point is definitely true. I think he does it by choice a lot . I think it's because he has that bad habit of jumping in the air to pass people think he is doing it because he has to. I notice he passes to Kyle and Ross a lot in spots he knows they are going to be. But maybe I'm just seeing it differently. You could be absolutely right. Demarre is helping Demar's assists though by his cutting without the ball. Demar finds him a lot in those situations which makes me think he can't be selfish or doing it out of necessity. But who knows.
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            This is the angst behind everything that happens this season - 7 years of history. It's like when a couple is about to break up and they can't stand anything the other person does anymore, even the smallest things...
            7 years? I think he means 6 seasons.... His rookie season was very good. His all-star season was very good as well.

The truth is....He was thrust into being a number one/two option in the absence of one. His efficiency numbers suffered, but he got better.

A grudge can last a long time.

Demar is playing good so far.... This I know. He didn't start off so well last year. I like what I'm seeing so far this season. Hopefully, he can kept it up. Most, if not all fans, are rooting for him.

Comment

The hockey assist point is definitely true. I think he does it by choice a lot . I think it's because he has that bad habit of jumping in the air to pass people think he is doing it because he has to. I notice he passes to Kyle and Ross a lot in spots he knows they are going to be. But maybe I'm just seeing it differently. You could be absolutely right. Demarre is helping Demar's assists though by his cutting without the ball. Demar finds him a lot in those situations which makes me think he can't be selfish or doing it out of necessity. But who knows.
              DeRozan is a ball stopper.

He looks for his own first, second, and third - then he passes.

I use to play with a guy who would only pass if it led to an assist - that is DD.

I wasn't fan of that guy either.

Team defenses are always getting better and better in the NBA. You beat the defense by moving the ball. The ball moves faster than even the best NBA defenders. It can't be catch-wait-dribble-dribble-fake-fake-pass. It has to be catch-pass unless you have a wide open shot or lane.

The biggest DeRozan fanboys (such as Special1, Christian, TRex) will point to Casey as the culprit and, while there is some truth to that because he seems to encourage his selfish/stupid (you decide) play, you will notice the ball move much more quickly and with purpose when DD is out of the game.

This is team basketball and it was these few minutes - minus all the starters - that broke the game open vs Indiana:

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                One note though - when I speak of efficiency I'm not talking about all advanced stats - many of those are about production (which he has been pretty great at so far with those rebounds and assists and free throws). WS for example is a production stat (which takes efficiency into account but is not just efficiency). Same for ORTG, though that is heavily influenced by efficiency, and PER. That's why I use TS% when discussing efficiency.
                I suggest using eFG% as a better alternative to TS% for determining efficiency within a team concept. Because DD is primarily a shooter (ie 60+% of his FGA's lie outside of 3 feet), he should be evaluated on his ability to shoot from the floor (which is terrible).

James Harden I would judge via TS% because he acts as a point guard and gets into the paint and kicks out a lot, not something we can say of DD.

Comment

• Sure seems to me that DeMar has been pretty good at racking up 'hockey assists' for some time now.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                    I suggest using eFG% as a better alternative to TS% for determining efficiency within a team concept. Because DD is primarily a shooter (ie 60+% of his FGA's lie outside of 3 feet), he should be evaluated on his ability to shoot from the floor (which is terrible).

James Harden I would judge via TS% because he acts as a point guard and gets into the paint and kicks out a lot, not something we can say of DD.
                    This rationale is ridiculous.

Comment

• DD has still heaved up a few of his maddening shots through 2 games but I think overall he's done a better job of not letting the ball stick to his hands and of setting up his teammates for success, whether directly or indirectly. However I never thought he did as poor of a job as some of you obviously. I think the real test will be when the Raptors find themselves down 10 or so points in a fourth quarter… we will see how much 'hero ball' rears it's ugly head or if this team will stick to moving the basketball and finding a good shot.

Comment

• yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                        Not neccasirly true. He was averaging 11 free throws per game against Brooklyn
                        special1 wrote: View Post
                        Check his FTA against Brooklyn ...

He averaged over 11 free throw attempts per game in the playoffs against Brooklyn. That's over 7 games.

You guys need to stop making stuff up!

Demar averages more FTA per game in the playoffs than he does over his career in the regular season. FACT.

8.7 FTA in the playoffs (11 games)

5.5 FTA in the regular season over his career.

Btw - Planetmars i'm not singling you out. It's been written many times by others.

It's like everyone conveniently forgets that in his all-star year (2013-14) he averaged 11.3 FTA per game in the playoffs when he averaged 8 FTA per game during the regular season.

Thanks for correcting me.. and I was taken a back by that.. although he did only get about 4-5 FTA a game against Washington and maybe that had more to do with the fact that Porter did an outstanding job on him.

And I have no problem being singled out here because I'm the one that made the claim and got called out on it.. can take it like a man

Still do believe that playoff basketball is much different from regular season ball. And that the whistle does seem to slow down more. Hopefully DD gets the call more often than not because he and the team relies on it a lot. That's a big part of his game.

Comment

• How much is the popcorn here?

Comment

That is fantastic.

If only FT's were worth 2 points each.

Here is a FACT: 9.2/23.6 = 39.1%

How the hell can anyone be in love with a guy who takes nearly 24 shots per game and hits under 40%?

It is mind boggling. Absolutely mind boggling.

I think it speaks to the generational difference of, "I'll get mine - f*ck everyone else."
                            I'm so done with Demar. He is a very dumb basketball player. No matter how good of a guy he is, no matter his history with the team, no matter he is elite at getting to the rim. This team will be better without him. You cannot hope to win anything with a player that stupid being a/the focus of your offence. He is currently the fly in the ointment on this team. Go take the money Demar you (albeit nice) delusional idiot.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                              I'm so done with Demar. He is a very dumb basketball player. No matter how good of a guy he is, no matter his history with the team, no matter he is elite at getting to the rim. This team will be better without him. You cannot hope to win anything with a player that stupid being a/the focus of your offence. He is currently the fly in the ointment on this team. Go take the money Demar you (albeit nice) delusional idiot.

Money shot in a post full of 'em.

Comment

I don't think I would particularly say Demar is a selfish player because he does move the ball (even though he could do it a lot more). I think he just isn't a smart player and that's why he takes the shots he does. I also think it's because he's actually not that good at getting to the basket in a half court setting. Unless he gets a really good pick set for him he has a very hard time getting by guys because his first step isn't good. So I think he incorporated this midrange game he has to make up for it but it's just hurting his and the teams game. But I definitely agree with you on everything else. And his game doesn't translate well to the playoffs which is a big reason why we do so badly there.
                                Demar is absolutely a selfish basketball player. His whole game is based on selfishness, stupidity and delusions of grandeur. The fact he believes he is worth the max is truly mind boggling.

I too hate selfish basketball. On top of it being inefficient it's boring and frustrating to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X