Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
    Well ... when I watched Atlanta beat OKC a coupla nights ago. I was amazed how few touches Durant got, while Westbrook did his "thing" (in the 4th). Ibaka got a few, but not many. Point being that it wasn't clear that Durant has to be "the man" on every possession. Maybe even every night.

This might be poorly argued, but I'm thinking that it's entirely possible that DeMar could live with playing second fiddle to Durant. Might be relieved, in fact. And teams are allowed to have more than one player making more than journeyman wages.

And while he's characterized as "selfish" often enough, it doesn't seem as if that's the way his peers view him. Or his teammates. I feel as if that's a characterization that's been arrived at because some fans are quick to berate him for carrying a heavy load on a (quite successful) team that is talent-thin.
    I agree that is a joke how little Durant gets the ball at times. Westbrook is good, but come on.

The problem is that in order to have a Durant/DeRozan pairing, the Raptors are likely going to have to pay DeRozan ~$20M per season (1st fiddle money for 2nd/3rd/4th fiddle role - if Lowry and/or JV are still around in the new system) AND cut other high-priced players (ie: Carroll or Lowry, and possibly Patterson or Joseph, plus filler) that would all be better fit (complimentary skills) alongside Durant.

Comment

• I have a bad feeling that Durant + DD + KL would be a ton of iso's and 0 fluidity on offense. If you want Durant you have to get a spot up 3pt shooter at the SG to space the floor, defend at the perimeter and who wouldn't demand the ball too much. Carroll fits that profile but would he be a decent fit at the 2guard? Probably not. DD can't stretch the floor, even opposite - he takes up space because of his mid range game; he's an average defender at best and he can't produce on offense unless he constantly gets the ball in his hands. Not to mention he would be taking away too many shots from elite, superb, insane scorer. I think Lowry, Carroll, CoJo and JV would be a way more efficient support cast.
      MeDar ReDozan

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I agree that is a joke how little Durant gets the ball at times. Westbrook is good, but come on.

The problem is that in order to have a Durant/DeRozan pairing, the Raptors are likely going to have to pay DeRozan ~$20M per season (1st fiddle money for 2nd/3rd/4th fiddle role - if Lowry and/or JV are still around in the new system) AND cut other high-priced players (ie: Carroll or Lowry, and possibly Patterson or Joseph, plus filler) that would all be better fit (complimentary skills) alongside Durant.
        No it would just be Carroll and Ross.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
          No it would just be Carroll and Ross.
          Any scenario to bring in a true #1 scorer that keeps DeRozan over Carroll is fundamentally flawed, to the point that I'd question the objectivity of the person suggesting it (unless Carroll was demanded in a S&T deal as the only way of acquiring that #1 option).

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
            Lowry is playing the same style etc for the past 5 years, differnece is he is in shape...perhaps casey planned his meals for him...or perhaps he say how hard demar works in the offseason and figured he better do the same....yeah...thats it...you can use that one.
            Its funny cause those are all possibility but, Lowry has really thrive in this so called "iso offense". More so than any other offense his been in.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I love the D and whatnot, but I don't know how people can look at Carroll's (garbage) offensive game and think "yeah, this is the guy that we need to pair with a superstar to get over the hump". OKC had that with Sefalosha, and guess what - it was Harden, the scorer, they needed to keep.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                I love the D and whatnot, but I don't know how people can look at Carroll's (garbage) offensive game and think "yeah, this is the guy that we need to pair with a superstar to get over the hump". OKC had that with Sefalosha, and guess what - it was Harden, the scorer, they needed to keep.
                Disagree that Carroll's offensive game is "garbage" but yeah never hurts to have more scoring.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  To play along...

Team A: Durant, DeRozan, Lowry, Valanciunas

Team B: Durant, Carroll, Lowry, Valanciunas

I'll take Team B every day of the week, as they'd be even more potent offensively (Carroll can shoot the 3 and doesn't need to have the ball in his hands to contribute) and significantly better defensively (Carroll >>>>>>> DeRozan on defense).
                  Well, you're fully entitled to take option B. Other people at RR would surely agree. Might depend more on what Kevin Durant wants than what we want, though. And that might be to play with the Raptors and DeMar DeRozan (whatever his reasons) ...

If it were polled, I think nearly everyone would take either A or B, though ....

And, certainly, many DeMar DeRozan fans (and is that such a silly and unforgivable thing to be, here in Toronto?) might select A, if that option were available. Looking at those lineups, does anyone think Team A wouldn't be very good?

And yes, as a (beloved) 3 and D guy Carroll might be more complimentary. But, value wise, people think he was an overpay, if anything. And if there's one bloody thing we're sure of, here at RR ...

It's than even DeMar's worst critics are convinced he's worth more than $15M a season. Likely a lot more, on the open market, but certainly more ...

So the answer to your query is, all things considered, a matter of circumstance and opinion.

QED.
                  Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Thu Dec 3, 2015, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    I love the D and whatnot, but I don't know how people can look at Carroll's (garbage) offensive game and think "yeah, this is the guy that we need to pair with a superstar to get over the hump". OKC had that with Sefalosha, and guess what - it was Harden, the scorer, they needed to keep.
                    To this day they don't have a good two way starting center. JV can do so much more on offensive end. Second, Westbrook is also an iso scorer, even more so than Lowry. That's why the line up of Wes, Harden and Durant maybe wouldn't have worked. Carroll over DD sounds pretty logic to me. Oh, and Carroll >>> Sefolosha.
                    MeDar ReDozan

Comment

Bosh still plays exactly like toronto bosh.

wade plays the exact same

love plays the exact same.

demar would need to change.
                      Those aren't true though ...

Bosh completely changed his game when he went to Miami. Maybe now he's playing more like he used to, but when it was the Big 3, Bosh struggled to adjust, but ultimately found his stride.

Again, maybe nowadays Wade has gone back to his old ways, but when he was #2, he most certainly did not play the same as the year before Lebron arrived.

Love does not play the same AT ALL as when he was in Minnesota. Its really night and day actually.

But yes, you're right, Demar would need to make adjustments. Just like any player playing with new, Elite teammates.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        I disagree with this as well. No one has been able to get this type of play from Kyle Lowry. Lowry is having career years at age 28 and 29. I think Casey should get some credit for that. Not all of it but, some.
                        At this point KL career is pretty much just the Raptors unless you think rookie years and injury one means anything. He's a good player that cost a guaranteed lottery pick. The fact that he was buried behind Calderon is just bizarre

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          Its funny cause those are all possibility but, Lowry has really thrive in this so called "iso offense". More so than any other offense his been in.
                          Individually he has thrived.

The team, of course, not so much once the games matter.

That is kind of the whole point, whether it is DD or KL, that their individual talent level is not high enough to carry the team in such a manner. Very few players have that ability night in and night out, in the playoffs.

I don't agree with a game plan that relies on your best player(s) having above average game(s) to win.

Comment

• All I was saying is that DeMar does play off the ball... and continues to do so in spurts. To say he doesn't is like saying Westbrook doesn't take threes because he doesn't have great mechanics.

Axel wrote: View Post
                            If we sign DD based on his current role, then land a real star, DD will struggle in the lesser role. He will be over paid for the role and then will likely underperform in that role until the learning curve is complete.
                            What evidence is there of any of this? I think people forget, DeMar has made a couple of big transitions already in his career and hasn't exactly 'fallen on his to face'.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                              Durant/DeRozan would not be Gay/DeRozan because Durant is in the conversation for best player in the league, while Gay is just a taller DD with even worse shot selection when tasked with being the #1 guy.
                              Durant also doesn't "hero ball" even though he should. He defers too much to Westbrook. When WB was out KD played alot better and vice versa. They don't compliment each other at all either by style or personality. Derozan and KD would result in the same.

Comment

I though your nonstop comparing of RIP to demar was bad enough, now you are saying that if Wade can do it demar can too,..,...
                                Did you not see Calgarys request to provide a Former All-Star in their prime, looking for a pay day, that brought in a real #1 and made adjustments to his game? At no point was it meant to be a comparison of Demar and DWade.

Comment

Working...
                                X