Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    Yup, so if anything goes terribly wrong they have a chance to redeem themselves.
    I agree with everything you've all said, basically. And so yes, likely a 1+1. But my underlying point was that if Demar was willing to put off, bu one year, the real decision of where he'll play to wind up his 20's, Masai should be happy about that.

And one might expect that all but his most ardent detractors might be even happier ... because it is the player, usually, who want the security - while GM's want the flexibility ... unless they're getting a clear "value" contract or a perennial superstar/generational player.
    Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Sun Dec 6, 2015, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
      I agree with everything you've all said, basically. And so yes, likely a 1+1. But my underlying point was that if Demar was willing to put off the real decision of where he'll play to wind up his 20's, Masai should be happy about that.

And one might expect that all but his most ardent detractors might be even happier ... because it is the player, usually, who want the security.
      I'm not sure why you bring up his detractors - stop flaming.

This is reality - pure and simple.

DD is not a LeBron or KD.

If he can get a $100M payday, you can bet he is going to take it.... he would be an idiot not to.

Talk to Dwyane Wade about the consequences of taking less than market value and expecting to be rewarded later.

Comment

• If DeMar and Casey are back next year I'm done with this team. I'll just be a neutral observer of sport.
        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
        Because its 2015

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

If he can get a $100M payday, you can bet he is going to take it.... he would be an idiot not to.

Talk to Dwyane Wade about the consequences of taking less than market value and expecting to be rewarded later.
          What's "flaming"?

Comment

Leonard is not even close to Porzingis.

Porzingis is handling a significant amount of usage for a rookie bigman at 23.8% and putting up a shade under .150 WS/48, sitting at around league average scoring efficiency, with a +7 netRTG on a losing team. His rebound percentage is double Leonard's and his block percentage is almost quadruple.

Completely different class of player, not to mention Leonard is almost 24 in his 4th season and Porzingis is a 20 year old rookie.

you realize that except for the ages, everything else you posted is completely out of context of games played, usage etc.

Of course Meyers isnt going to have equal numbers to Kristaps right now...kristaps plays a shit tonne and Meyers missed a shit tonne of games due to injury.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

You might be right. I expect we will see, of course. Cause unless Durant of Horford actually come, then I expect Demar to sign either

1) a one year (or 1+1 - makes sense) OR

2) A value contract ... meaning a contract averaging no more than $22M over 4 (or 5) years ... or less.

The only fly in this ointment is that many might not think a $22M is a "value" contract (as much anguish as there has been about his not being worth a " max"). Anyway, that's what I expect.

(Though I'm not insisting that its' "reality - pure and simple".
              And I'm already convinced he's not an idiot, whatever he does. Any more than D-Wade is. )
              Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Sun Dec 6, 2015, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                you realize that except for the ages, everything else you posted is completely out of context of games played, usage etc.

Of course Meyers isnt going to have equal numbers to Kristaps right now...kristaps plays a shit tonne and Meyers missed a shit tonne of games due to injury.
                He's missed 7 games and in the 14 games he has played he's gotten about the same minutes Kristaps gets.

I don't see anything that even makes them remotely comparable as prospects. There's some things to like about Meyers for sure but Porz is just on another level.

Comment

I think this is where the (arguable) under-appreciation of Demar hurts most.

If Carroll gets healthy in the off-season, JV, Bebe, Bruno (and other prospects) develop at all, Lowry holds up and especially if Masai can add anything with the Ross, Patterson, Scola roster spots (do something useful via draft/FA period/trade) you have to be quite pessimistic about the team, going forward even one year, to simply write off the possibility of anything really good (even surprising!) developing.

But the "We simply can't get better with DeMar!" narrative, I think, colours the whole landscape. I see no reason we must rush to judgment. I'd preach faith, patience and measured judgment.
                  1. That's a lot of ifs.

2. There is a point where patience is really procrastination.

Comment

• Well, yeah a lot of "ifs" - meaning a lot of different ways the team can improve, with guys we already have plus through various avenues to acquire pieces, with DD still here for another year

- if that seems to make sense to Masai and DeMar next July.

Comment

Well, yeah a lot of "ifs" - meaning a lot of different ways the team can improve, with guys we already have plus through various avenues to acquire pieces, with DD still here for another year

- if that seems to make sense to Masai and DeMar next July.

Dude at this point though I think we've made it pretty clear that it's highly unlikely DD will sign a 1 year deal with the Raptors. It doesn't make any sense for him. He's due for a major payday in an offseason where tons of teams have cap space and there aren't many all-star-or-better players competing for those available funds.

If he signed a 1 year deal now, even if it's a 1+1, if he has any kind of dropoff in play in 2016-17 or any sort of significant injury he has potentially completely ruined his chances of securing a big money long term deal. And for what? To MAYBE make an extra 3-5M per year? It just doesn't make sense for him to do.

The only guys who I think might even dare to try that are LeBron and Durant, because even if they get hurt they're getting maxed because of a proven track record of greatness along with marketability. And even if they had a career ending injury they have endorsement money and their global brands to fall back on. DeRozan isn't making $25M a year off his Comp10 brand lol (that isn't an actual brand but you get my point I think).

Comment

• I don't even think Masai would be particularly keen to sign DD to a one year deal unless it's to trade him. Masai has demonstrated in the past that he prefers fewer unknowns on his roster forecast; can't see him having DD expiring twice in a row.

Plus DD is incredibly unlikely based on the evidence already demonstrated. So while it is technically a possibility, NBA history and the risks associated with the business make it one of the least likely outcomes.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Dude at this point though I think we've made it pretty clear that it's highly unlikely DD will sign a 1 year deal with the Raptors. It doesn't make any sense for him. He's due for a major payday in an offseason where tons of teams have cap space and there aren't many all-star-or-better players competing for those available funds.

If he signed a 1 year deal now, even if it's a 1+1, if he has any kind of dropoff in play in 2016-17 or any sort of significant injury he has potentially completely ruined his chances of securing a big money long term deal. And for what? To MAYBE make an extra 3-5M per year? It just doesn't make sense for him to do.

The only guys who I think might even dare to try that are LeBron and Durant, because even if they get hurt they're getting maxed because of a proven track record of greatness along with marketability. And even if they had a career ending injury they have endorsement money and their global brands to fall back on. DeRozan isn't making $25M a year off his Comp10 brand lol (that isn't an actual brand but you get my point I think).
                          Wow. You've made it clear that it's "highly unlikely"?

(I think it is "unlikely" ... but possible and intriguing. But I set out what my scenarios are above, so ... ok.

Comment

• Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Wow. You've made it clear that it's "highly unlikely"?

(I think it is "unlikely" ... but possible and intriguing. But I set out what my scenarios are above, so ... ok.
                              Well can you give any good reason for why he might do it? Other than holding out for more cash (which he isn't even sure to get)?

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                                I don't even think Masai would be particularly keen to sign DD to a one year deal unless it's to trade him. Masai has demonstrated in the past that he prefers fewer unknowns on his roster forecast; can't see him having DD expiring twice in a row.

Plus DD is incredibly unlikely based on the evidence already demonstrated. So while it is technically a possibility, NBA history and the risks associated with the business make it one of the least likely outcomes.
                                And as noted, DD would have a no-trade clause if he signed a one year deal.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X