Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Is wrote: View Post
    To put it another way: "Hey, we need you to take a pay cut so that I can save more money." You're not going to find anyone in any employment anywhere who says yes to that unless the alternative is no job.
    Businesses negotiating more modest employee salaries, to remain profitable (for example), is routine.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Uh, no. The players don't care and no owner in the world will successfully pitch a "save me money" contract to a player. No corporation is entitled to show a profit - they are entitled to try to, but by no means are their employees, especially prospective employees, forced to take a pay cut for no other reason than to guarantee (or increase) said profit.
      It's about negotiating mutually advantageous agreements. And "profitability" is typically the corporation's main (if not only) criterion.

(Or - "Uh, yes", to use your language - Jeez, Dan ...)

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
        Businesses negotiating more modest employee salaries, to remain profitable (for example), is routine.
        Well that doesn't apply in this case
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Employees leaving to a company that pays more is pretty routine too.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            Well that doesn't apply in this case
            OK, I'll bite. Because ... ?

Comment

OK, I'll bite. Because ... ?
              Dynamic between average employee and average company is completely different from NBA player and NBA Franchise.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                Dynamic between average employee and average company is completely different from NBA player and NBA Franchise.
                Well, not completely different. But even outside of the employee/employer context, contract negotiation principles remain the same - though the context and circumstances/identities of the parties do matter.

(If anyone's interested, I'd highly recommend a book called "Getting to Yes" - the result of a research and seminar series conducted jointly by the Harvard Law and MBA programs. A best-selling, thin, "how-to" paperback book about negotiating. Good! )
                Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Fri Dec 18, 2015, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Well, not completely different. But even outside of the employee/employer context, contract negotiation principles remain the same - though the context and circumstances/identities of the parties do matter.

(If anyone's interested, I'd highly recommend a book called "Getting to Yes" - the result of a research and seminar series conducted jointly by the Harvard Law and MBA programs. A best-selling, thin, p"how-to" paperback book about negotiating. Good! )
                  No man. The NBA is different. If you want to start a thread about negotiations in sports/business then feel free to find the appropriate subforum.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                    No man. The NBA is different. If you want to start a thread about negotiations in sports/business then feel free to find the appropriate subforum.
                    We are talking about NBA negotiations. The Raps/DeRozan negotiation, specifically. But someone has suggested these negotiations will differ significantly from other sorts. Neither they (nor you) have made it clear how, though ... but I have suggested (as a trained negotiator, and drafter of contracts, as it happens) that the principles are the same - to further what I trust is an interesting and useful discussion.

But perhaps I might have analogized to negotiations between Princess Amidala and the Confederacy of Independent Systems - rather than other business or employee/employer negotiations?

More acceptable/fun?
                    Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Fri Dec 18, 2015, 09:19 PM.

Comment

We are talking about NBA negotiations. The Raps/DeRozan negotiation, specifically. But someone has suggested these negotiations will differ significantly from other sorts. Neither they (nor you) have made it clear how, though ... but I have suggested (as a trained negotiator, and drafter of contracts, as it happens) that the principles are the same - to further what I trust is an interesting and useful discussion.

But perhaps I might have analogized to negotiations between Princess Amidala and the Confederacy of Independent Systems - rather than other business or employee/employer negotiations?

More acceptable/fun?
                      Wow. I'm trained too. Big whoop. You're suggesting business related discounts by players, which doesn't really happen in the NBA and don't want 6 pages of the thread devote to a topic that will have nothing to do with DD.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• DD playing for that max right now

Comment

• Well, negotiating a contract - any contract - begins with figuring out if you (maybe even uniquely) have what the other guy wants - and vice versa. If you don't have a match ... so be it.

But if DeRozan actually (and significantly) values:

- This city, organization, his team-mates and the idea of playing his career with one team.
                          - His relationship with Kyle (though most see Kyle as the bigger talent - who's the "Big bro" there? )
                          - Winning a championship - and believes Toronto will get closer to winning one, with him, than L.A. ...

And if DeMar thinks that whatever discount and/or salary structure he might agree to will be reasonably necessary to bring in a KD or a Horford ...

... Then I think you have the makings of a possible deal (from DeMar's point of view)!

Still, I really don't know if Masai might get a "green-light" to go into the luxury tax (still ticked about the Jays ...)

So ... yeah, a lotta "ifs". And I am sure to be over-estimating (and neglecting) key values; those are "behind-closed doors" facts, so often. But that's the kind of thinking, in my view, that gets such a deal done ... if it can be done ...
                          Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Sat Dec 19, 2015, 05:04 AM.

Comment

• Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Debo is playing like an All-star starter
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post

Whaaaaa?

Whoot-whoot!

Comment

Working...
                                X