Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Certainly the Raptors will not be forced to offer 5/145. But there's no way they can bid as low as 5/110. 5/120 is the absolute minimum IMO, and depending on DD's security vs max earnings slant, might not be nearly enough, especially (and it is odd to view it this way) with a player option, as it forces less money into the now and more into the future (and into that option which ideally for DeRozan he will never pick up).

So to compete with a max offer, we are still looking at 24M+ per year average salary. Which is a different picture than the 22M per year you proposed as an alternative. And that still assumes DD's interest in taking a short term pay cut for security long term, which is far from a safe bet.
    Hard to say that definitively. I mean just a few months ago we were saying there is "absolutely no way DeMar is resigned" if Durant is the plan. So things change.

And yes it's a different picture from the 22M I proposed but it's much less of a difference than the 29M that has been proposed before.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
      Hard to say that definitively. I mean just a few months ago we were saying there is "absolutely no way DeMar is resigned" if Durant is the plan. So things change.

And yes it's a different picture from the 22M I proposed but it's much less of a difference than the 29M that has been proposed before.
      I don't think it's a huge stretch for an agent of any player to say "We were offered the max by Team-X. My guy really likes it here and would prefer to stay, so if you can offer a 5th year [at the max], you've got yourself a deal."

I just hope that MU's response would be, "Tell him I wish him well. We'll be sure to add him to our Christmas card list."

Comment

• My gut tells me MU is bought in on Demar. He'll pay him.

Comment

• 29 mill per for 5 years for Demar? No thanks Jeff. This team will be stuck in mediocrity for a long long time.
          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I don't think it's a huge stretch for an agent of any player to say "We were offered the max by Team-X. My guy really likes it here and would prefer to stay, so if you can offer a 5th year [at the max], you've got yourself a deal."

I just hope that MU's response would be, "Tell him I wish him well. We'll be sure to add him to our Christmas card list."
            But if the max is his market value, then what is the issue with the contract? I can't name a better SG that would be attainable (by NBA standards, not RR standards). As long as DD is signed to his market value, we are fine. We continue to roll with DD until a better option presents itself, and then trade him. NBA GM's have gotten rid of much worse players, with way worse contracts, and way worse attitudes in the past (see Andrea Bargnani). I realize that lots of people on RR think of DD as an inefficient chucker and the main problem with this team, but that really shouldn't sway your opinion when resigning him. As long as MU continues to make deals at market value, the team will be positioned fine going forward.

The question then becomes, is a max contract the market value? I would think that DD's value on the open NBA market would be close to a max deal.

EDIT: I would also just like to add (as I have before), that I really can't comprehend all the DeMar hate. The guy is the hardest working, most loyal Raptor we have ever had (to my knowledge). Sure, he's not a superstar talent, but I don't think he can be blamed for that. I'd take DD 10 times out of 10 over a guy like Vince or Steve Francis, who had the talent, but never represented for their city. (hopefully this doesn't wind too many people up )
            Last edited by 92TillInfinity; Mon Dec 21, 2015, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
              But if the max is his market value, then what is the issue with the contract? I can't name a better SG that would be attainable (by NBA standards, not RR standards). As long as DD is signed to his market value, we are fine. We continue to roll with DD until a better option presents itself, and then trade him. NBA GM's have gotten rid of much worse players, with way worse contracts, and way worse attitudes in the past (see Andrea Bargnani). I realize that lots of people on RR think of DD as an inefficient chucker and the main problem with this team, but that really shouldn't sway your opinion when resigning him. As long as MU continues to make deals at market value, the team will be positioned fine going forward.

The question then becomes, is a max contract the market value? I would think that DD's value on the open NBA market would be close to a max deal.

EDIT: I would also just like to add (as I have before), that I really can't comprehend all the DeMar hate. The guy is the hardest working, most loyal Raptor we have ever had (to my knowledge). Sure, he's not a superstar talent, but I don't think he can be blamed for that. I'd take DD 10 times out of 10 over a guy like Vince or Steve Francis, who had the talent, but never represented for their city. (hopefully this doesn't wind too many people up )
              the issue is not about signing demar or not....it is about options.

With signing demar we are choosing to stay as we currently stand and hope that:
              A) Lowry stays in top form or improves
              b) Demar stays at current level or improves
              c) Carrol plays like ATL carroll or improves
              d) JV stays as is or improves
              e) make phenominal picks
              f) everyone else improves
              g) make incredible under the radar low cost signing(as we would have no money left)
              h) everyone else improves as well.
              i) no break down of players

that will allow to build on this current first round exit team that we have.

or

a) trade demar for multiple pieces that fit better with remaining pieces
              b) trade demar for multiple pieces and replace his/pf output with output with a downgrade at sg but upgrade at pf and continue on
              c) trade demar for capspace that will allow to sign superstar
              d) trade demar for capspace to be able to add multiple teir 2 players that would be a combined upgrade over demar himself

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                the issue is not about signing demar or not....it is about options.

With signing demar we are choosing to stay as we currently stand and hope that:
                A) Lowry stays in top form or improves
                b) Demar stays at current level or improves
                e) make phenominal picks
                g) make incredible under the radar low cost signing(as we would have no money left)

that will allow to build on this current first round exit team that we have.

or

a) trade demar for multiple pieces that fit better with remaining pieces
                b) trade demar for multiple pieces and replace his/pf output with output with a downgrade at sg but upgrade at pf and continue on
                c) trade demar for capspace that will allow to sign superstar
                d) trade demar for capspace to be able to add multiple teir 2 players that would be a combined upgrade over demar himself
                So by trading Demar, we no longer need to worry about all the other stuff?

a)Lowry stays in top form or improves
                e) make phenominal picks

That seems off.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

e) make phenominal picks

That seems off.
                  He isn't totally wrong. I think keeping Demar means we'll stay in mediocrity and continue to be a first round/second round Playoff team and then get worse as Lowry ages. Of course if Demar convinces me otherwise then great.

Comment

e) make phenominal picks

That seems off.
                    Except we'll also have 30 mill to play around with to get things right.
                    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• The idea of paying Demar some of these numbers being tossed around makes me want to find a dark place and a bottle of cheap whiskey.

Let him walk and put the money to better use. If there's a nice trade offer then you take it, but I want to see what MU can do in the chase for KD

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
                        The idea of paying Demar some of these numbers being tossed around makes me want to find a dark place and a bottle of cheap whiskey.

Let him walk and put the money to better use. If there's a nice trade offer then you take it, but I want to see what MU can do in the chase for KD
                        That's the part about all of these conversations which concerns me. Is there someone out there that is better than DeMar, whom you can get to take that money? For better or worse he is our go to scorer and there is currently nobody on our roster with the exception of Lowry whom can fill that role. And Lowry has proven he cannot fill that role for a full season, on his own.

Comment

• Everything Demar Derozan

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          That's the part about all of these conversations which concerns me. Is there someone out there that is better than DeMar, whom you can get to take that money? For better or worse he is our go to scorer and there is currently nobody on our roster with the exception of Lowry whom can fill that role. And Lowry has proven he cannot fill that role for a full season, on his own.
                          I think it's a sum of parts situation. Demar at $20M+ vs 2 players for the same amount.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I'd offer Batum 64m to 72m over 4 years and see if he bites

I'd offer Horford 100m over 4 years

I just can't wrap my head around Max DeRozan, although I acknowledge he is playing much better this year (minus the occasional relapse
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                              I think it's a sum of parts situation. Demar at $20M+ vs 2 players for the same amount.
                              Who are 2 players that will make us a better team, that can be had for $20M?

Comment

Who are 2 players that will make us a better team, that can be had for $20M?
                                Kenneth Faried and Arron Afllalo

get Loul Deng and shift Carroll to the 2 and add Faried
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X